Totally Fixed - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-07-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default Totally Fixed

Hi there all Jeep 2.7 CRD enthusiast. Well, It has been a long time since I last made an appearance on here, but I can tell you the problems with my vehicle have been relentless, everything failing at the same time.

So, now, we are totally fixed and when you read what the problem was all along, you ain't going to believe it. So lets start.

Every time I got into the jeep, it would go into limp mode. I would grab my phone and click onto jeep diagpro and see what codes would come up. Always things like shifter control, brake switch, transmission control, trans solenoids, fuel rail malfunction, small leak detected.

I am thinking, I have changed everything in the fuel system, every sensor, even put my own fuel filter and housing, but left the old filter there with the water sensor on the bottom. I remove the shifter control board from under the gear stick, had it tested by an electronics whiz all ok, no way can all these things crap themselves at the same time.

So, being the person that I am, and not excepting all these problems, my line of thought was that it has to be something simple. I also put a brand new $300.00 battery in it.

So, last Sunday, I go out to the beast, and crank her over. Even though it started ok, I thought considering the size of the battery, and what I paid it really should be cranking a shit load faster. So I take her for a run, bang engine light. I cleared the codes, got her home, went straight to my Mercedes SL500, pulled the battery out, took my new battery out of the jeep and stuck my new benz battery in, and took it for a drive.
]
Drove for 1 1/2 hours, no engine light, so back home, and when I turned into my street engine light. Cleared the codes, took it for another run, no codes. Next day, took it for an even longer run, and pretty much the same as the day before, engine light when I was almost home. Folk's, after that, I have had absolutely no dramas at all, the vehicle is running like a dream, power is unreal, I can honestly say, It runs like a brand new vehicle.

The new $300 battery, I tested it and could only get 12 volts. I stuck it on the charger, and could not get a full charge, so took it back to the joint I got it from, and they said it had to be the alternator on the jeep, so they said they would charge it over night, and test it under load with whatever they use to test it. I go back yesterday, and am told the battery is stuffed, and that it must have been faulty to start with. They gave me another brand new one, still in the box.
]
So there you have it, not one problem in a week, and I have been doing a lot of driving, just to make certain. If your battery is down a whisker, you are going to have serious issues. Lets face it, we are talking about a brand new battery, so I never gave it a thought. By the way, the battery is an AC Delco, so we shall see if the problem returns because of the battery.

That's it, I am soooo happy as I love this vehicle, and love driving it, so powerful, and so comfy. Funny thing, when I check codes, and you click on the problem, you get the mileage. It says 44,657 yet the speedo says, 210,000. anyone shine a light on that. Also, to everyone who gave me some good advice and tried to help, thanks, kindly.

Rob (Mountain Man)
Old 26-07-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I still can't believe that after all this time, all the money spent renewing sensors and everything else, it is fixed. I literally can't stop driving it. It is like a brand new vehicle. Yo!
Old 26-07-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Now, I am going to do what I intended to do when I purchased it. Set it up for camping with my grand kids. Now I will get to use the tent I brought 4 years ago. Haaaaa! Any suggestions about setting it up would be appreciated.
Old 26-07-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Great that got you found the problem--it just goes to show with this sort of trouble shooting you cannot trust anything!!!! Great that you let us know the outcome---like who would suspect a new battery??
Old 27-07-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Yep, I simply can't believe that over the past 3 years going by the codes and changing everything, including the battery, it all turns out to be the damn battery. I never imagined that the new battery was cactus. Still puzzled by the mileage reading in the computer is far lower then what is on the speedo. Funny thing, it is like a new vehicle, as in it is so clean and you don't even feel any bumps in the road. Anyone have any thoughts on the mileage thing?
Old 27-07-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 273 Times in 220 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The milage thing is a quirk of the ECU. Apparently it doesn't have enough digits. I think it's 17 bits which clocks over at 131,072km
Post New Thread  Reply