NOfuse and M13 Issues - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-10-2018
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default NOfuse and M13 Issues

2009 JKU Rubicon - bought used with some PO "mods" I am cleaning up

Have a noFUSE on the odometer. Vehicle runs fine with some odd actions - nothing major other than the odometer display, so have been able to tinker while I still drive it to work, which is nice.

The remote entry key does not work so I start there.

Did internet detective work and have done the following:

1. Found Ignition Off Draw likely culprit. Checked and reseated, no change, fuse intact but replaced, no change.

2. Checked fuses visually, seemed in order. Replaced some "iffy" ones, no change.

3. Used Multimeter and M13 found to be blown - directly linked to IOD along with M10, 11 and 13.

M10
20 Amp Yellow
Ignition Off Draw — Vehicle Entertainment System (IOD-VES), Satellite Digital Audio Receiver (SDARS), DVD, Hands Free Module (HFM), RADIO, Antenna (ANT), Universal Garage Door Opener (UGDO), Vanity Lamp (VANITY LP)

M11
10 Amp Red
(Ignition Off Draw) IOD-HVAC/ATC, MW SENSR, Underhood Lamp (UH LMP)

M13
20 Amp Yellow
Ignition Off Draw— Cabin Compartment Node (IOD-CCN), Wireless Control Module (WCM), SIREN, Clock Module (CLK MOD), Multi-Function Control Switch (MULTIFCTN SW)

4. M10 and M11 do not blow, just M13. Replaced M13, Jeep was perfect. Remote entry is a dream. Ran for about a day and it blew again.

5. Removed PO's old winch connections from the battery. Still blows M13.

6. More research, found the blower under the passenger dash can be a culprit. Checked and reseated connection to the blower. With M13 replaced the remote locks work fine, they don't seem to be the issue. Will lock/unlock for days with no blowing the fuse so I don't think that would be an issue. When starting or stopping the fuse will go about 75% of the time, however. So the jeep needs to be in ACC or running to blow.

7. Climbed everywhere I could to look for dodgy connections going through the firewall, none found.

Any advice? I am reasonable handy, but electrical gremlin hunting is not my forte.

I do notice a whirring sound when I open the door only with M13 blown, I assume it is the blower under the passenger dash as that seems to be the origin. This sound doesn't happen with M13 operational as far as I am aware. This is where my attention is focused ATM. PO also has an aftermarket head unit, but the connections seem fine when I checked behind the unit. Didn't pull it all the way out for a close look, however. After that is the switch for the auto disconnect - PO has the manual DOR device attached to the sway bar up front and button does nothing.

Next step is to unplug the blower full stop and seeing if it blows. Also noticed the cig lighter is loose and can be pulled out. So will see if that was replaced and has any wire playing games. Seems to be a short somewhere in the ACC operation, so still focused on that. After that will look for a new MF control switch but want to check free things before I start throwing money at the issue.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated of other things to check. Is not a game breaking bug, but I would like this solved! Thanks!

Last edited by relwell; 30-10-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 29-10-2018
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

I have no idea what the actual problem is, but here are a couple of thoughts.

The blower running is a symptom, not a cause.

If it blowing intermittently, not straight away when you do something in particular, I suspect something moving & shorting to ground. Either a loose powered item in the dash, (probably not the cig socket as it is off with the ignition off, but the power outlet on my '08 is always live), or a wire.

A wire or bundle may have been moved & chafed on some of the dash framework & be shorting intermittently.

If you can isolate & disconnect that multifunction switch for a while, it would be my other main suspect.

Good luck!
Old 29-10-2018
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

Thank you - will get the dash off this weekend and have a very thorough look around. Was looking for some reinforcement before I end up sticking my paws where they didn't belong and possibly making things worse.
Old 04-11-2018
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

Figured I would update on what I HOPE is what my issue was...

So I narrowed the possibility down to 3 items after Banshee told me the fan was likely a red herring.

1. The PO had disconnected the auto swaybar in exchange the DOR manual release, which I like, but may have boogered the wires up when he did it. So maybe the switch cluster?

2. When I got the jeep I noticed the cigg outlet was loose. I reattached it and thought nothing of it as it powered my phone charger fine. But maybe it is worth another look?

3. The left stalk is controlled by M13 and it shows some wear. Functions fine but worth a look.

Luckily I think I got it on the first try. Started by getting the center dash panel off and having a look at the switch cluster and the cigg outlet. The switches are still all attached OEM. The cigg outlet, however, has a really lousy splice running into it. The orange wire that disappears mysteriously into the dash. Looks like the PO was powering something with the outlet - honestly with this guy it could be anything. I unplugged the outlet and let it dangle unplugged through the dash. If this is the culprit I will have a closer look when I replace the outlet etc and fit it all back together.

So far so good! Seems like the short was coming through the lighter, which powers up when you turn the jeep on/off. That short would blow the M13 and make it look like the IOD was failing.

Has only been a day, but the fuse has never stayed in tact this long so really hoping this was it! I know when I was internet detectiving it was really helpful to read other experiences, so maybe this will help someone down the line.

Here is the amazing electrical tape splice and the mystery orange wire. Any ideas? Runs up into the dash alone and disappears behind the vent tubes. Audio? Is an aftermarket stereo in there...

Old 04-11-2018
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

It could be. You might want to check that stereo properly as well. It is relatively easy to get the radio out in my '08. Not sure if the '09 has the same dash, though.

With mine I can get a glimpse in by popping off the center top dash panel, then for full removal, the lower center pops out, & 4 7mm hex heads then the rest of the center fascia pops out. After that there are 4 screws that hold the radio in place.
Old 07-11-2018
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

After four days the fuse is still intact so I think I found the culprit in that cigg lighter outlet since at most M13 has lasted a few hours previously. It does mean I will crawl inside the dash this weekend and try to fix the wicked splice and trace the mystery wire. While I am in there I will pull the radio out and have a look - I have a feeling there is more going on back there so that is good advice.

Thanks for the help, Banshee. And if you're still looking to sell that spider top and have a shipping cost to Canberra, I am still in the market!
Old 10-04-2021
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

I figured I would update on the M13 and noFUSE in case any internet mechanics out there want even more juicy info.

So my M13 was my noFUSE culprit. I never did find a smoking gun and resorted to siege warfare on the Jeep. I bought a 50 pack of 20A fuses and would pop a new one in when it would blow it, some went kaboom immediately, some would take months to kaboom. I would simply replace the fuse and if it kept blowing them instantly, I would give it a few days and try again. But I wore it down and have spent the last 8 months or so in glorious normal Jeep life.

Alas, twas not to be.

After spending every red cent to buy a house, the Jeep decided to do its thing again. This time it didn't blow the M13. But let's not forget where we came from. No, this time it simply did that thing where there at startup there are no dash lights, you can't shift out of park and wipers running non-stop.

The fix most people find is unplug the battery, stomp on the brake, and wait 10-15 minutes. And that kinda worked, but after every key-out stop, the problem would repeat. I tried resetting the TIPM, trickle charging my battery overnight and chasing every exposed major ground to make sure it was good.

I then thought, what the hell? This is a dash cluster type issue, let's see how our old friend M13 is. The fuse was intact and was in great shape...but I know better. I pulled it and tried to start again.

Turns out...M13 is again part of the issue. Pull that bad boy and everything goes back to my original noFUSE life. But the jeep runs and wipers don't go forever. So while it is a step back from where I was, it is a step forward of where I am.

So at this point I am looking at the TIPM being possessed by gremlins and in need of exorcism. Replacing is time consuming and expensive, and often involves mailing things for a rebuild.

I think instead of banging my head against a wall I will do what I did last time and try to simply outlast the bastard. I refuse to throw money at a TIPM just yet until I squeeze everything I can out of this one.

But, and I can't believe I am saying this, it is kind of comforting to be right back where I started...noFUSE lights on, key fob not working, strange startup whirrrrrrs.It feels almost like home.