Dual Battery's- Where- What- How do they Go?? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-10-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

How much do you run off them. ie fridge over night Lighting Musice ect??

What CC does the start up one have ??
Old 20-10-2007
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

They are both the same with 600CCA and rated at 55a/Hrs (if I remember) - which isn't a great deal but plenty as it is very very rare that I wouldn't start the car within a 2 days. I normally run a fridge (Waeco CF 50), all the camp lights (probably 2 or 3 tube lights and a 'spread' spotlight to light the general area) and music /DVD( for the kids).
Old 24-10-2007
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys, I had done this a few years ago to a mates Grand (way before I had one) when I was manufacturing DBC. I ended up installing an ESV800 Odyssey Battery under the rear passenger side seat next to the amp. Very snug fit but looked like it was meant to be there.

THe sealed Odyssey is a compromise between Amp/Hr's and CC but does it very well for the size of the battery.The only thing to be carefull of is the charging voltage going into your battery. Odyssey's like to have 13.5 + VDC otherwise they only get partially charged. So just check the output. Shouldn't have any probs running a fridge / camp lights.

In my previous 4wd (Nissan Navara) I did the same as Roachy. Installed 2 x ESV800 Odyssey's on their side inthe original tray - painted them black and it looked like an OEM fit. I used to have to explain to the mechanics before each service as to what it was. "A battery with 4 terminals...WTF?"
Old 24-10-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachy View Post
They are both the same with 600CCA and rated at 55a/Hrs (if I remember) - which isn't a great deal but plenty as it is very very rare that I wouldn't start the car within a 2 days. I normally run a fridge (Waeco CF 50), all the camp lights (probably 2 or 3 tube lights and a 'spread' spotlight to light the general area) and music /DVD( for the kids).
That sound mint..... oh it was like i was already on the beach .... /pinch oh na im still at work!!! Bugga 5 months before i leave!!!!!
Old 24-10-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbrutale View Post
Hi Guys, I had done this a few years ago to a mates Grand (way before I had one) when I was manufacturing DBC. I ended up installing an ESV800 Odyssey Battery under the rear passenger side seat next to the amp. Very snug fit but looked like it was meant to be there.

THe sealed Odyssey is a compromise between Amp/Hr's and CC but does it very well for the size of the battery.The only thing to be carefull of is the charging voltage going into your battery. Odyssey's like to have 13.5 + VDC otherwise they only get partially charged. So just check the output. Shouldn't have any probs running a fridge / camp lights.

In my previous 4wd (Nissan Navara) I did the same as Roachy. Installed 2 x ESV800 Odyssey's on their side inthe original tray - painted them black and it looked like an OEM fit. I used to have to explain to the mechanics before each service as to what it was. "A battery with 4 terminals...WTF?"

Hey mate id love to see pics of that hey!!!! Sounds a bit dangerous under the seat???? not much room i mean
Old 24-10-2007
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry no pics as it was a while ago. Wasn't dangerous.....the battery just fitted under the lip from the recess in the floor below the seat. I screwed it in place and was solid. Those batteries can be mounted in any orientation. You just need to make sure (like any install) that nothing is going to come in contact with the terminals to short it out. If I was doing it again I would probably just put two on their side in the original tray. That's a real easy install. The two together are about the same size as a standard battery +/- 10mm. Just make sure whichever dual battery system you buy, has a "normally disconnected" setup, and priority charge/ sensing for the start battery. As if the units does fail you don't want the two batteries linked together. I also installed a switch on mine (standard heavy duty kill switch) so that I could link the two batteries together manually if I required (as had an Auto trans) incase the start battery went flat (from maybe leaving headlights on or something)
Old 21-11-2007

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi HemiJeepy,
Im running a Redarc pc4400 "smart start",Had it about a year and hasent let me down once(its been under water many times,and across the simpson too)cost about $130.My second batt is a REMCO agm 80 a/hr which last forever(running stereo,waeco cf40,two arb flouro's, aircompressor,roof spotties etc).But my battery is in the spare wheel well on a tray i made up.
but as its sealed i have no problem with venting or spillage.Can send you foto's if you want?
Post New Thread  Reply