is this for real - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-10-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts
Default is this for real

reading the Cars Guide Auto Assist in the Herald-Sun a reader has written in complaining that his 2013 Wrangler has a leaky thermostat housing and the dealer has quoted $5,540 to repair

are you kidding me!!. the journalist Iain Curry answer was just as stupid, not questioning the repair costs, but suggesting that the owner being a loyal customer should be entitled to a free repair as a goodwill gesture

Rockauto has Mopar stats for this model at US$32 each

Last edited by bonza; 20-10-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 20-10-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 184 Times in 117 Posts

While I cannot vouch for the credibility/validity of the customer service problem in that particular case, there are numerous auto experts bad mouthing FCA products as well as cars from other makers. FCA are not saints when it comes to customer service. Who is? Is thermostat failure in 5 years a known issue for JKs?

Last edited by eksjay; 20-10-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 20-10-2018
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 538 Times in 397 Posts

The one in my '08 is fine, but that's a different engine.

My guess is media misrepresentation. Maybe FCA dealer did say "$5,540 to repair" after a thermostat failure. But just what was the failure, and what else did it cause to fail? Did it cause the engine to overheat & seize? That would certainly account for that sort of cost.
Old 23-10-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

got some feed back from Iain Curry. seems there was more to this story than $5 grand plus just to replace a thermostat housing

as others suggested, the problem led to a failure of other engine components due to overheating
Old 24-10-2018
SwampDigger

Liked 538 Times in 397 Posts

While I believe FCA overcharge for parts, they aren't quite that bad.

OEM radiator from dealer, >$1100, aftermarket, same style, $250.
Clockspring from dealer, (several years ago, before the recall), $1179, OEM part couriered from the USA, $240.

I get the need for a markup to cover their costs, but ~500%!?
Old 24-10-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post

I get the need for a markup to cover their costs, but ~500%!?
Unfortunately, a lot of people don't let the truth get in the way of them trying to get sympathy from the social media crowd.

It's easier to make Jeep look like the bad guys than having themselves look like an idiot for driving an overheating vehicle.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 24-10-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

I find it amazing that, for decades, our various federal govts, in the interests of encouraging "investment", continue to allow Australians to be ripped off by any corporations that want to do business here. This behaviour is rife, and the Royal Commission into banking and insurance and superannuation nibbles only at the tip of the iceberg. Electricity and gas prices r the most clear example of this behaviour, at the moment.We can but wait to see what the Fed govt will do about this.

In Canada, 20 yrs or so ago, gas suppliers were storing gas in sealed caves and restricting supply, so as to increase prices. In the same country, electricity companies were creating shut downs and blackouts to do the same thing.

Our so-called "authorities" that r supposed to police markets, in the consumer interest, have proven to be toothless paper tigers. They will continue to be so, despite chest thumping over the last few months by the current federal govt. that it will boost their powers and funding and other resources. We have heard it all, many times before.

I think Jeep dealers have been out of control in what they charge for parts and service. The idea that things cost so much because of dealer "import" and "infrastructure" costs has been exaggerated beyond belief: prices charged have been more about greed, pure and simple. I have been quoted up to $280/hr for labour. WTF!! R they lawyers? And why do I need to pay for a service centre with shiny painted floors and unnecessary lounge rooms and coffee machines etc?

My investigations reveal that, while not angels, no other car company/dealers have dared to be so brazen.

The attempt to improve customer support via the "there and back" campaign with an extended 5 yr warranty, initiated by head office, I understand, is an acknowledgement of what I am saying. I note also that there has now been a "softening" of the price rip offs by some Jeep dealers, but they r still dearer than is reasonable..

I decided to vote with my wallet, and to go elsewhere for parts and service. I buy all parts locally from other than Jeep dealers or import them from the USA. Prices can be as much as 1/5th - 1/4 of what I would have to pay here, and that is delivered to my front door.

A quick look at the log I keep re parts etc shows that I have spent about $15500 on parts (wear and tear replacements mainly) and about $4000 on labour over the nearly 12 years I have owned my JKU 3.8. Labour has been kept low because I learned to do a lot of simple repair work myself, and because I went to reputable mechanics, rather than Jeep.

Conservatively, if I had bought all the parts from the Jeep dealer, I would have been up for $60000 and for labour, to the order of $20000. Well, guess what, that's the price of a new V8 Toyota Landcruiser. Or even a new Grand Cherokee V8 with all the bells and whistles.

I am in the market for a new vehicle. I bet you can't guess what car I will not be buying soon.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 24-10-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply