JK Manual Clutch. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2008
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default JK Manual Clutch.

just a warning to owners of manual JK's. recently i had my jk in for replacement of both brake and clutch master cylinders, which both failed at the same time. after replacement a joint between the clutch line and the clutch master cylinder started leaking. went back on a flat top truck. the blokes found a faulty rubber in the joining clip and were able to patch it up. when i got it back i climbed underneath for a look and found that the clutch fluid line between the master cylinder and slave cylinder is metal on each end but has a rubber hose section in the middle where it runs round the bell housing. there was a section of about 20cm on that hose which was worn flat and part way through the hose to the point of almost failing. took it back and they swapped it for a better hose (probably mine that came out in the first place). there was however still a small groove worn across the hose which matched a web on the bell housing and it had obviously been rubbing on the bel housing. they had rerouted the hose behind some wiring to keep it off the bell housing. works fine now. this is just to advise you that it could be worth taking a look under your manuals to check the hose section and perhaps place some protective material round the hose to prevent wear by rubbing against the bell housing. could prevent a clutch failure at a really bad time.
cheers, dave
Old 11-12-2008
JEEPOHOLIC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up Dave. Can you please post a picture over here it will help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
just a warning to owners of manual JK's. recently i had my jk in for replacement of both brake and clutch master cylinders, which both failed at the same time. after replacement a joint between the clutch line and the clutch master cylinder started leaking. went back on a flat top truck. the blokes found a faulty rubber in the joining clip and were able to patch it up. when i got it back i climbed underneath for a look and found that the clutch fluid line between the master cylinder and slave cylinder is metal on each end but has a rubber hose section in the middle where it runs round the bell housing. there was a section of about 20cm on that hose which was worn flat and part way through the hose to the point of almost failing. took it back and they swapped it for a better hose (probably mine that came out in the first place). there was however still a small groove worn across the hose which matched a web on the bell housing and it had obviously been rubbing on the bel housing. they had rerouted the hose behind some wiring to keep it off the bell housing. works fine now. this is just to advise you that it could be worth taking a look under your manuals to check the hose section and perhaps place some protective material round the hose to prevent wear by rubbing against the bell housing. could prevent a clutch failure at a really bad time.
cheers, dave
Old 11-12-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

jk07 my computer knowledge is limited, don't know how. but the slave cylinder is on the passenger side of the bell housing, visible from underneath.there is a short line from the cylinder to a bracket , and then a rubber fluid line going up and around the bell housing, up to the top of the bell housing where it becomes a metal line agian. if you climb under the passenger side (it's only visible from there) and run your hand along the hose up and around the bell housing (where it isn't visible) you can feel if there is any wear. do it when the exhaust is cold as the pipe runs close by. i burnt my hand playing with it. probably a bit of that split plastic tubing all the wiring harnesses are covered in would do the trick.
Old 11-12-2008
Pollie Waffle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been informed by the dealer this is a common prob, basically the clip is shoit!

Get ready... I've done a total of three slave cylinders now, two throw out bearings and 6 weeks of non-use.

Do yourself a BIG favour, take your clutch out and check it, don't be surprised if it's worn down.

VERY $$$$ not covered by warrenty...

BTW - the above is how mine started...
Old 11-12-2008
JEEPOHOLIC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got my entire clutch replaced including the pressure plate. It was worn down badly. Dont really know how?
The throw out bearing was fine. no issues with slave cylinders etc

question is how do we fix this clutch worn down issue. Mine had only 24000Ks on it
Old 11-12-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
I just got my entire clutch replaced including the pressure plate. It was worn down badly. Dont really know how?

question is how do we fix this clutch worn down issue. Mine had only 24000Ks on it
was yours done under warranty?
Old 11-12-2008
Pollie Waffle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post

What dealer did it mate?
Post New Thread  Reply