DTC light and limp mode- enroute from per to Syd at Ayers Rock - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-09-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Default DTC light and limp mode- enroute from per to Syd at Ayers Rock

Hey guys, I am currently mid trip, done 5000 so far. This morning I was a bit short on fuel so I pulled up and put a jerry can of diesel in then went to take off and the check engine light came on and so did the lack of power!!!!!! F&@k !!!! Check all the usual like fuel cap, oil, air so all I can think is that it must be a dirty diesel filter creating a low fuel rail pressure. Iv got a procal but it won't clear the code for some reason. Procal works as I tried a different program on it and worked fine. Disconnected the batt and cleared the DTC until I started driving then it came back on. Some other bloke in a olive JK drove straight passed (not even a g'day on the radio)
Anybody in this area with a scan gauge or any ideas for me? At this stage I'm am going to limp it up to Alice springs and hope that it's nothing major to end my trip.

Thanks guys.

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26-09-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

If it is dodgy fuel you may not want to use it. Can you dump the tank and at least flush the filter at a roadhouse? Fuel system is very expensive compared to a few litres of fuel.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Old 26-09-2015
Established Member

Iv since filled the tank with fresh stuff, I don't think it was dodgy fuel, probably just some shit off the bottom of the tank. I am going to try get the fuel filter off in the morning see if it's full of crap

Old 27-09-2015

Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

Have you replaced the factory intercooler hoses (yet)? If not, that would be the first place I'd look, starting with the driver's side.

Remove the sensors, pull the air cleaner up, unscrew the hose clamps front and back, inspect the hose thoroughly. Any splits can be temporarily repaired with gaffa tape and cable ties. The more the better!

If it's the fuel filter, pulling it is a pain. If it's the same as mine it will be clamped to the bash plate. Loosen the 3 bolts on the plate for better access. Unplug the sensor, then pull its retainer clips out and work it around behind the filter until it's hanging free.

My filter was on tight as hell, so loosening the clamp made it impossible to get enough leverage between it and the thing it screws into (which hangs free if you unclamp the filter). So I used the filter bracket as a ratchet: loosen the front of the bracket, rotate the filter 1/4 turn, tighten the clamp, then turn the thing that it screw into. Repeat a bunch of times.

Once it's loose, undo the bracket that holds the filter, get your head out of the way (or leave it and get an ear full of diesel - ask me how I know), point the filter at the ground and remove the water drain plug. Once it's drained, remove and replace the filter.

Good luck this morning, hope you work it out and get back on the road soon.
Old 27-09-2015
Established Member

Cheers dan. Iv got a 2011 so I it's already got the silicone cooler hoses, but I will have a look anyway. Cheers for the tips. Iv got no filter wrench [emoji15]

Old 27-09-2015
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLN View Post
Cheers dan. Iv got a 2011 so I it's already got the silicone cooler hoses, but I will have a look anyway. Cheers for the tips. Iv got no filter wrench [emoji15]

Definitely fuel filter, for a trip like that I would taken a couple of spares, toyotas & nissans owners do, you can't trust the fuel up there or jerrycans for that matter.

, [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-------)_)

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 27-09-2015
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Given the error coincides with running low on fuel etc I'd think blocked fuel filter is likely. Error code P0088 if I recall ( high fuel pressure) This happened to me just a few months ago on Googs Track. My limp mode was intermittent. Ditto on the tight filter, but not tight enough will allow to leak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk