Jeep towing a van roll over - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts
Default Jeep towing a van roll over

and this Dick

Last edited by OLMATE; 07-12-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

First one the Jeep looks overloaded if they had to put an alloy roof rack on top and load it up like that.

Second one: from the 10,000km I just did towing I reckon the van was pulled toward the truck as it approached by the wind and driver wasn't paying attention.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 07-12-2021
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
First one the Jeep looks overloaded if they had to put an alloy roof rack on top and load it up like that.

Second one: from the 10,000km I just did towing I reckon the van was pulled toward the truck as it approached by the wind and driver wasn't paying attention.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
That truckie probably should have backed off when he saw what was happening and could have avoided the whole thing. Yes, the Car driver should have been more careful but A life threatening situation was avoidable if he eased off a bit.
Old 08-12-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 835 Times in 468 Posts

Did 8500 klms around QLD this year.The number of overloaded rigs on the road is staggering. ! I tow a J OB poptop 17.58 with a 2010 GC diesel ,travel light
and never had any trouble with trucks going or comming. Very stable rig under all conditions.My mate bought a brand new Ranger trayback with alloy canopy.
tinnie on top ,plus outboard ,plus heaps of gear ,50 kilo dog plus 24 J Silverline
reckoned he was ok till he got booked in SA.390 kilos over ,big fine.Admitted that
the tail was wagging the dog all the time. !
Old 08-12-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

Yep!!! Seen some of this over the years. When I am towing a van (13footer is all) and a bloody big rig is barrelling up my arse, single lane or otherwise, I let them know to overtake by brief switch of the indicator and then a tap on the brakes (if the truck is far enuff away) and slow down to let them do it easy. Occasionally I use CH10 on the CB to tell them to pass and what I will do to help them.

Always get a "thank you" blink afterwards. Do the same with other vehicles including those cars etc pulling vans.

Usually I sit on 90km which is the sweet spot for fuel economy, handling, safety etc that I have found. BUT van pulling cars sail past me at what must be 120km/hr minimum. WHY?

Any wonder they come to grief.

Some of this occurs cos of too much weight on back of vehicle so that the front wheels r not contacting enuff, so minimising the amount of steering control available. Don't overload tow vehicle or vehicle being towed.

When towing with the JK I have pretty much given up overtaking trucks etc when I am out and about. Its like an asthmatic trying to win a race against an athlete. Anyway, if I do decide to overtake, the truck or whatever soon catches up. The next hill is always the killer!!!

My 2c worth. Again.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 08-12-2021 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Being in too much of a hurry, keeping to the speed limit is often the biggest cause of these roll overs by drivers who don't have the skill set to know whats about to happen and how to counter it and there are those who just rely on some gizmo..... Some drivers will never have the skills no matter how many miles they travel.......

Been towing for 20 years but they only go a few hundred kms a year for a 3 week stay by the beach..............

Millions of Kms in heavies and I suppose about 15K a year dragging the van and I'm still surprised by what I see and sometimes if I can't get away from someone scary, its time for a cuppa and hope they dont block the road later on... Even did that in the truck at times.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 08-12-2021
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sharp or over 'corrections' often turn a very mild sway into something uncontrollable. I don't like relying totally on the car's anti-sway gizmo, and the van's ESC, nice that they're there but not infallible. Keeping a good 'feel' for what's happening and an eye on everything is better. Smooth alterations/corrections, steady speeds, let the mavericks with their arses on fire go - so long as they're away and out of my sight I'm happy. Yep, 90kph also my sweet spot for handling and economy. Never had a problem with a truck, just let 'em go and drop speed when a big rig barrels towards me on a single road.

Good mate (about to take delivery of van #4) says he's never checked his weights, never had his rig on a 'bridge. I don't necessarily think he overloads car or van, but why in hell wouldn't you check this simple stuff?
Post New Thread  Reply