Arb twin air compressor - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2020
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts
Default Arb twin air compressor

Hi guys,

Just wondering where you guys have mounted an on board air compressor and the reason for the location.

Thanx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 15-04-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGC View Post
Hi guys,

Just wondering where you guys have mounted an on board air compressor and the reason for the location.

Thanx
I've basically separated the individual compressors and linked them with a ~50cm high-temp hose, and mounted them lengthwise in the narrow space behind the towbar member.

I have the LRA aux tank which makes it a tight fit, but worked-out perfectly. Could just mount the compressors to the top of the aux tank bracket using the original brackets (with the rubber grommet things bolted to the blue heatsink/clamp around the motor.).

Ran power from the boot (already had an aux battery and false floor.) through a hole drilled (and grommeted/sealed) down into the bumper cavity. From there you can feed through some stamped holes to get out near the towbar member.

I'll take some photos if you're interested?

I used them "mobile" (in a case with small tank, etc.) for a couple of years, which was a pita obviously. Then mounted permanently on the roof rack for a few years, which was ok, but using a roof top tent now.
Couldn't find anywhere more convenient where they could fit; engine bay, under seats, etc. Had them mounted in one of the rear footwells briefly for a couple of trips, but was very annoying... especially with two kids in the back haha.

I'm not keen on them getting submerged through water crossings with where they are now... but oh-well. They've survived a tonne of abuse so-far, so I'm considering it a worthwhile risk. Might elevate the air intakes or plumb into the cabin or something fancy like that one day if I'm bored.
Old 17-04-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
I've basically separated the individual compressors and linked them with a ~50cm high-temp hose, and mounted them lengthwise in the narrow space behind the towbar member.

I have the LRA aux tank which makes it a tight fit, but worked-out perfectly. Could just mount the compressors to the top of the aux tank bracket using the original brackets (with the rubber grommet things bolted to the blue heatsink/clamp around the motor.).

Ran power from the boot (already had an aux battery and false floor.) through a hole drilled (and grommeted/sealed) down into the bumper cavity. From there you can feed through some stamped holes to get out near the towbar member.

I'll take some photos if you're interested?

I used them "mobile" (in a case with small tank, etc.) for a couple of years, which was a pita obviously. Then mounted permanently on the roof rack for a few years, which was ok, but using a roof top tent now.
Couldn't find anywhere more convenient where they could fit; engine bay, under seats, etc. Had them mounted in one of the rear footwells briefly for a couple of trips, but was very annoying... especially with two kids in the back haha.

I'm not keen on them getting submerged through water crossings with where they are now... but oh-well. They've survived a tonne of abuse so-far, so I'm considering it a worthwhile risk. Might elevate the air intakes or plumb into the cabin or something fancy like that one day if I'm bored.
Sounds like a great setup you've got there. Would love to see pics if possible. Thanks
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 17-04-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

I have been brainstorming ideas so far as well. So far the best I have come up with is behind the passenger rear tyre, bolted to the side of the rear subframe/spare tyre area. Seems like a large empty space. My only concern has been dirt getting kicked up by the rear tyre, but perhaps some sort of cover/mudflap will help.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 18-04-2020
SwampDigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turismo07 View Post
I have been brainstorming ideas so far as well. So far the best I have come up with is behind the passenger rear tyre, bolted to the side of the rear subframe/spare tyre area. Seems like a large empty space. My only concern has been dirt getting kicked up by the rear tyre, but perhaps some sort of cover/mudflap will help.

I was also thinking in that space, but has anyone done it or made a custom bracket?

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 21-06-2020
SwampDigger

Has anyone removed the rear cargo covers, if so is there enough room in there for arb twin compressor. Just like below;

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Post New Thread  Reply