Testing and Replacing AW4 trans solenoids - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-12-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Ok so today I dropped the NSS out cleaned it etc etc put it back as per FSM directs and it works correctly…

However issue still there…

Think I’ve got the correct harness and these are the readings I got…

AWG can you identify which solenoid the one with the reading over 21 is ? It’s the blue and white wire ?

1998 XJ Sold

1994 XJ Sold

1942 Willys JeeP Sold
Old 14-12-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

dark blue and white shows solenoid 2

for the full manuals,

join this site

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/

go to the XJ section and the moderator is cruiser54

go to his website and download the full factory Service and Parts Manuals

You need the 95 and 97, as no electronic '96 exists

order the parts from Rock Auto, amazingly quick and cheap, forget anywhere else

I would reiterate that if your AW4 upshifts perfectly everytime, its doubtful the solenoid is the issue

It can be slightly difficult to notice missed up shifts, but its certainly detectable

Last edited by awg; 14-12-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 14-12-2021
Senior Newbie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for you quick reply AWG

“I would reiterate that if your AW4 upshifts perfectly everytime, its doubtful the solenoid is the issue”

hum the fact you say perfectly every time … first thing in tHe morning (I usually leave for work around 4am) as I mentioned it “seems” to shift normally up through the gears, from first to the next gear there’s a noticeable gear change. Whether that’s going into second or third I’m not 100% now. The next change what should be into third is not very noticeable.

“It can be slightly difficult to notice missed up shifts, but its certainly detectable”

I know I’ve asked this before… but just to clarify…

If driving using shifter like a manual, when taking off in 1st should it then shift on its own into 2nd ?

Mine does not…

I have read somewhere a long time ago. Using the shifter 1/2 take off then into 3 and if you want to go back into 2 and hold, shift back into 1/2 ?

I going to order a replacement set online as their so expensive in WA.

1998 XJ Sold

1994 XJ Sold

1942 Willys JeeP Sold
Old 15-12-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

it sounds to me like you have a failing solenoid 2, as per your measurements, and there is not much of a feel difference between 3rd and 4th, so sounds like you are missing 2nd and 3rd, as per my 1st post. I think mine measured 30ohms before it died completely

its possible you have some other fault such as a maladjusted shifter cable, or faulty speed sensor...I assume you have adjusted the shifter cable, if not Google it and do it

did you take the NSS apart and clean it internally ? the copper tracks go green
Old 15-12-2021
Senior Newbie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Evening AWG…

3 Solenoids on their way from the US… Mid Jan arrival is the only bummer.

Yep NSS stripped and rebuilt. All the brass/copper contacts cleaned up and re greased with dielectric grease.

Regards the shifter cable linkage, no I haven’t adjusted that, but you know what I’m gonna Google it and do it also, Can’t hurt .

1998 XJ Sold

1994 XJ Sold

1942 Willys JeeP Sold
Old 15-12-2021
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Its called the TV cable.

Probably the best 5 minute mod i ever did. I thought my XJ was sluggish and the tranny was playing up.

Did the TV mod and all of a sudden i had heaps of power and tranny felt great.

This is the best vid out there..