Mountain Bikes - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2006
MudSplasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Funny you say that. When I was a kid into BMX (Mid 80's in the US) Mongoose, Redline, and Diamondbacks were the absolute best bikes going around. Thanks for the tip. I set my price range because I want to buy a bike once. So I set that price in the hopes I could get something good.
Old 11-12-2006
RubiconSlammer

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I've got an Apollo LSX1.1 here... 2004 model.
Bought it for 'rough commute' when I lost my licence a few years back. Was the first one the local shop got. Hardtail with the Shimano 'v-brake'. Got it for $500-odd. Considered disc rear, but couldn't see the advantage.

Got the rough tyres/puncture resistant, as well as fitting liners.
The sales guy didn't beleive I'd need them, said to see how the fitted tyres went. I was back the next morning with two tyres looking like seives!

And I can verify the whole lightweight frame worth the $$$ when you have to carry it home!!!
2001 XJ TD 31s & 5"
Old 11-12-2006
RubiconSlammer

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

btw, 'rough commute' is my way of describing more bush shortcuts, stairs, jumps and building sites than footpaths/roads.
2001 XJ TD 31s & 5"
Old 11-12-2006
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

I've got a hybrid coz I wanted the best of both worlds but found it wasn't great at either so I have now bought a Giant OCR3 for the road and Giant Thermo 1 for the trails. Hardtail, lock off front suspension, disks front and rear, low step over. See
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU...ain/169/22361/
I got it on special for $695, but I think list price is about $800.00 and I'm really happy with it.

BTW disks have the advantage of still being able to ride them with a buckled wheel and its more common to buckle a wheel than a disk. Also alloy rims wear out really quickly when used in the mud or wet with V brakes. I've had to replace a set on the OCR 3 already.

Last edited by hillsjeep; 11-12-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2006
Not da Ride It's da Rider

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Steve, haven't we had these conversations before.

Number one thing, if you intend on actually riding the thing offroad, get about a 19 inch frame. The sizes you have listed would be dogs. My best mate Dan is 6'3" and races on a 19 inch for XC. I am 5'10" and only ride a 16 inch, although I probably should ride a 17 inch, but I like to be able to move all over the bike.

Numbre two, stay away from Discs in anything under about $900, most are crap and you are better off with a decent set of V-brakes.
Old 12-12-2006
TerraFlexer

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

i;ve got a SPECIALIZED HARDROCK with discs.i;m 100kg;s and this thing cops a floggin and just won;t break.i only ride bush tracks and forrest trails and it;s never let me down.i have it serviced regularly and never have any problems.
Old 12-12-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_n
Steve, haven't we had these conversations before.

Number one thing, if you intend on actually riding the thing offroad, get about a 19 inch frame. The sizes you have listed would be dogs. My best mate Dan is 6'3" and races on a 19 inch for XC. I am 5'10" and only ride a 16 inch, although I probably should ride a 17 inch, but I like to be able to move all over the bike.

Numbre two, stay away from Discs in anything under about $900, most are crap and you are better off with a decent set of V-brakes.

I agree on the size. get one smaller than you think. as i said, im 5ft 11" and i have a 19" and it's a little too big.
the smaller the frame, the more you can throw it around.

also agree on the specialized brand. I had forgotten about them. add them to your list too.