Open Speed Limit Trial - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2014
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Open Speed Limit Trial

(From the NT Government News Room)

OPEN SPEED LIMITS TRIAL TO BEGIN

31 January 2014
A 200km stretch of the Stuart Highway will undergo a 12 month open speed limit trial, starting tomorrow.

Minister for Transport, Peter Styles, said the stretch of road, south of Barrow Creek to just north of Alice Springs was recommended for the trial as it had no identified road geometry issues and low crash numbers.

“The stretch of highway has undergone a multi-million dollar upgrade to improve safety during the trial,” Mr Styles said.

“2013 saw the road toll drop by nearly 25% in the Northern Territory, with 12 fewer deaths on our roads than in 2012 and the lowest since 2009.

“In the ten years between 2001-2011 there weren’t any speed related fatalities on this stretch of road. Since 2011 there have been no fatalities on this stretch of road.”

Mr Styles said the Territory Government were continually undertaking audits and assessments on the major highways of the Northern Territory.

“The Territory has a unique road network with long distances and low traffic volume. With the implementation of this trial we are putting the responsibility back on motorists.

“Motorists need to be able to drive to the road conditions and their capabilities.”

Mr Styles reminded motorists that this trial of revised speed limits was not a licence to drive recklessly, dangerously or without due care.

“Open speed limits mean driving to the road conditions - everyone should drive within their own capabilities, the condition of the road, prevailing weather conditions and the standard of their vehicle.

“Learner and provisional drivers and heavy vehicles will continue to be speed limited as they are now.

“Be warned - police will be increasing their presence on this area of road. We will not tolerate reckless driving.”

http://newsroom.nt.gov.au/adminmedia...en%20Speed.pdf PDF to send to your friends
Old 01-02-2014
AJOR Silver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I find 140-150 to be a suitable speed down that hwy. Takes a little while to get used to but once you are its just right for me.

In reality after about 130km/h the fuel consumption rises dramatically in most vehicles and completely negates high speed on those stretches of road.
Old 01-02-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,580 Times in 4,357 Posts

It wasnt that long ago that SA & NT had no mandated speed limit on open roads. If you had an accident & were over 60mph, the own-ness was on you to show you were not driving dangerously.
Old 02-02-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

(sorry for long post.. TLDR = dangerous anyway, new reflectors more dangerous, animals still suicidal, 22% of all statistics are made up on the spot)

The word from a few locals who not only travel that road regularly, but some that run and maintain the land that the road runs through, is that the trial is destined to fail.

A big thing with driving at night here is having the visibility, not only on the road ahead, but on the 50-100metres off the side of the road where angus beef, camels, wedge tailed eagles, kangaroos spend some time contemplating life and how they feel theirs should end. Fortunately the roads are well graded and allow for a considerable lateral viewing distance on most parts where the trial is taking place.

From the landowners who have cattle grazing near the edge of the road as it is close natural waterways, to the regular travellers who choose to operate at night, there reports are that the several million dollars spent upgrading the reflective road markings on the side of the roads has created a very dangerous catch-22 for drivers with spotlights. Either the drivers shine the spotlights and the returned reflections from every available surface render them night blind and thus unable to see the above mentioned suicidal wildlife or they have to dip their 'bunny burners' and risk not seeing anything but the road ahead anyway.

As Xiphos said, 140-150 is a perfectly reasonable speed to operate on these roads and many locals choose to drive at these speeds where possible (sometimes in contravention of the laws in place since Jan 1, 2007 - when the 130 speed limit on the Stuart Hwy was introduced).

The introduction of speed limits on Territory roads damaged the local economy millions (estimated around 6-7) per year as we lost revenue generated from car manufacturers coming out to climate test and speed test their vehicles, but this coincided with a strong Aussie dollar and a tourist slump also, so it is difficult to provide exact figures.

And there was no previous statistics in the NT on fatigue related deaths (probably because there is very little fatigue at 150+ with roadside animals, only clenched buttocks and white knuckles) it was startling as a resident to see that the change in the speed limit suddenly brought about not only a new danger on the road, but an INCREASE in the road toll (2006- 44, 2007- 57, 2008 - 75)

As it stands the NT road toll is currently at 3. 1 was after a vehicle collision at a set of traffic lights, 2 was a motorbike collision with a pedestrian on the road, and 3 was a man run over while he was asleep on the road at 1.20am in a bush community. I, for one, will be watching the trial statistics with great interest, as it may set a precedent for other areas of the country to finally open their speed limits as well.
Old 02-02-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,580 Times in 4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTRubicon View Post
(sorry for long post.. TLDR = dangerous anyway, new reflectors more dangerous, animals still suicidal, 22% of all statistics are made up on the spot)

The word from a few locals who not only travel that road regularly, but some that run and maintain the land that the road runs through, is that the trial is destined to fail.

A big thing with driving at night here is having the visibility, not only on the road ahead, but on the 50-100metres off the side of the road where angus beef, camels, wedge tailed eagles, kangaroos spend some time contemplating life and how they feel theirs should end. Fortunately the roads are well graded and allow for a considerable lateral viewing distance on most parts where the trial is taking place.

From the landowners who have cattle grazing near the edge of the road as it is close natural waterways, to the regular travellers who choose to operate at night, there reports are that the several million dollars spent upgrading the reflective road markings on the side of the roads has created a very dangerous catch-22 for drivers with spotlights. Either the drivers shine the spotlights and the returned reflections from every available surface render them night blind and thus unable to see the above mentioned suicidal wildlife or they have to dip their 'bunny burners' and risk not seeing anything but the road ahead anyway.
Angus in the north? Very unlikely. Drought Master, Brahman, Santa, etc only. Mainly Boss-inctus, not boss-taurus.
Some one is pulling your chain.
Only idiots are going to try 200+km/hr at night.
Old 02-02-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Watching the road not the speedo, I like that

Lights reflecting back, isn't that why truckies fit coloured covers to there bull lights?
Old 02-02-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I drive a JK...Can't speed anyway
Post New Thread  Reply