New Battery Required for WK2 Diesel Overland - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-06-2020
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

That would give it all a shake up, I just run my 3 way plugged in when driving...... Be interesting to see what the actual load is on the alternator, driving down a windy road, with lights on etc.................do any of these dead alternators also have to charge the stop/start rubbish as well ?????

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 26-06-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

And the electro/hyd steering and then the Quadralift compressor starts and runs, plus the speakers are going full bore with headlights on and it starts to rain.............
Yep, the alternator is going to get warm at least.
John
Old 26-06-2020
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

90% of the time I have the courtesy lights off, rain-sensing wipers off, auto headlights off, climate off. Only small stuff, but maybe it adds up. Don't miss any of it, just turn on when required.

Thinking of my cars in the early days: No a/c, two had no working heater (too expensive to fix), another three only had ram air (no fan), most had no central locking, power steering, windows, mirrors, seats or electric rad fan. Can't remember ever replacing an alternator and batteries lasted forever, at least it seemed that way! Then became spoilt by company cars and the rot set in...
Old 26-06-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Polar opposites...we use the lot and let the Jeep do its own thing.
When we got our 2012 (after coming from 7 Patrols in a row) we thought all the auto stuff was electrickery and not necessary for us.
Well that has changed - it all works and just a pleasure to get in and drive.
The heated seats this morning were just lovely.
John

Last edited by JnK; 26-06-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 26-06-2020
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnK View Post
When we got our 2012 (after coming from 7 Patrols in a row) we thought all the auto stuff was electrickery and not necessary for us.
John
Horses for courses, it's all there to enjoy. I must say though, you Queenslanders are soft! Heated seats on the Gold Coast? I've never turned mine on - in Melbourne!
Old 26-06-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

I have the wipers on auto but not the headlights, the damn things fire up on start up in garage and when I park up,I don't want that drag on the system, being a Laredo I don't have some of that power hungry stuff that the bling models have, and thankfully I don't want it, while I have heated seats, I have always thought if its that cold why the hell am I out of bed.................

My G60 Patrol ( a real 4x4) had AC, you kicked the vents open by your feet and the vents under the windscreen and tried not to drive through bee swarms or other bugs, you knew or quickly learnt how to drive and were not worried about sensors, or other things failing and if the battery crapped out you started the engine by hand.........always carried a new dolphin torch battery and electrics never really stopped you........... might have to go back to the future, my G60 or Landy never left me stranded like these modern heaps.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 26-06-2020
Senior Newbie

Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnK View Post
John
Heated seats are great here in NZ winters,, I dont leave the auto wipers on however as not good when they are frozen to the windscreen
Post New Thread  Reply