Throttle Position sensor TPS Part number? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-01-2017
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
I bought a box of stuff of a mechanic that regularly travelled the outback, including a new TPS,,,it has ROUND pins, (evidently for pre 10/96), so thats one difference...part num on the box TH143 made in USA.

wide variety of price on Ebay $50 to 100, there is a generic Jeep, Dodge,Viper for $17 !
There are two for the pre-update, the OBD1 (round pin) and the OBD2 (flat pin), the confusing part is the early OBD2's use OBD1 sensors!!!

They are exactly the same just a different connector, with some easy mods either can be used....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 13-01-2017
Trail Twister

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

If you have an update 10/97 build, search for a #98. My 10/97 is identical to my 09/98.
The 97 year was a bit wishy washy for parts.

Last edited by rustynuts; 13-01-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 18-01-2017
Jingle ALL the way...

Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

Parts catalogue states: part # 4874371
(the remarkable thing is it also states EP0 behind it, which means all 2.5 ltr engines. ERH/ER0 would indicate all 4.0 ltr engines. Usually if there are different parts for 2.5 and 4.0 it will specify this, but in this case it only shows this one part number.

Furthermore:
Rockauto has 4 listed for 1997, if the link below works, go to the Standard Motor Products one (3rd, $54 AUD) and click the info button; it will show you the alternate/OEM part numbers.

(In case the link doesn't work:
those numbers are 4874371, 4874371AB, 4874371AC, 56027942)

I'm currently in the process of diagnosing my TPS (analogue meter should arrive today) to tackle the recurrence of my intermittent stalling, rough idle, starting issues etc, which in the past has seen me replacing the CPS and 2 years later the CAM sensor, each time with success as it seemed, so "ass"-uming these sensors haven't failed on me again, TPS is my next suspect)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ical-connector

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.
Old 18-01-2017
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roler View Post

I'm currently in the process of diagnosing my TPS (analogue meter should arrive today) to tackle the recurrence of my intermittent stalling, rough idle, starting issues etc, which in the past has seen me replacing the CPS and 2 years later the CAM sensor, each time with success as it seemed, so "ass"-uming these sensors haven't failed on me again, TPS is my next suspect)
When my TPS was acting up it would start fine, idle fine but the main issue was the auto was acting up where the torque convertor would lock and then unlock all the time all at around 100km/h, at 110km/h it was fine due to a different throttle position, replace the sensor and no more issues...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 18-01-2017
Jingle ALL the way...

Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

I noticed on two trips, that the TC would unlock as well, going around 100 km/h around 45-60 min into the drive 9could also be solenoid)
Nothing more annoying than trying to diagnose an intermittent (and therefor more likely electrical) issue. Especially if you need to always consider that already replaced sensors could again be faulty. Which reminds me I should put the multimeter on the CPS and CAM again.

(completely off topic here, but how to test/measure the CAM sensor again? Crankshaft position sensor I know)

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.
Old 18-01-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

[QUOTE=Roler;1601491]

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ical-connector[/QUOTE

read on forum somewhere cant remember, that longstanding issues such as yrs cured by fitting entire NEW dizzy..so was happy to snap one up for fk all, still in shrinkwrap

re TPS, I personally would be surprised if the TPS Ohms range actually was different, based on the generic fitment etc, even across different manafacturers, that info should be available somewhere
Old 18-01-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 145 Times in 89 Posts

Liams has same issues at the mo.
Tested heaps of things , put in spare ecu , same.
Thought it was upstream O2 , as grabbed wire one day and moved it and engine started purring.
Replace sensor , same.
Patchy said most likely TPS.
Changed in a spare I had ,worked perfect.When hot started first pop , no foot flat to the floor , for 2 days.
Then went back to normal , plus not changing up to 4 th unless hammered.
Put old one back in.
Will put the one out of the TJ in and see how it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roler View Post
Parts catalogue states: part # 4874371
(the remarkable thing is it also states EP0 behind it, which means all 2.5 ltr engines. ERH/ER0 would indicate all 4.0 ltr engines. Usually if there are different parts for 2.5 and 4.0 it will specify this, but in this case it only shows this one part number.

Furthermore:
Rockauto has 4 listed for 1997, if the link below works, go to the Standard Motor Products one (3rd, $54 AUD) and click the info button; it will show you the alternate/OEM part numbers.

(In case the link doesn't work:
those numbers are 4874371, 4874371AB, 4874371AC, 56027942)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ical-connector