Jeep xj repair after attempted theft. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-07-2023
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Jeep xj repair after attempted theft.

Hi I'm looking for some information. After spending weeks trying to sort my power issues out on my 2.5td xj and finally finding the problem yesterday, someone attempted to nick it last night.

They have smashed the door lock , smashed the driver's window, removed the ignition barrel and broke bits around it ,snapped the steering lock and cut through steering wheel to remove the steering lock and broke the indicators stalk by the looks of it. They also took the light out of the roof for some reason I managed to turn it over earlier and it did fire up but ran for about 5 seconds. It done that a few times and in the end it's just turning over. I now have the key light up and engine management.
I'm guessing it's a coded key and that's why it won't run.

Do you know if it's a case of replacing the barrel with a matching key and that will make it run. ?

Thanks
Old 25-07-2023
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

The key has a chip. If you have replaced the barrel & have a new key, the key needs to be programed. The reason they played with the light is that the transponder for the remote locks is up there. The cutting out after 6 seconds is how the security system works. If you have the old key that fitted the original barrel, you could place it next to the new key when you try & start. It should allow it to run.
Old 25-07-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 89 View Post
They have smashed the door lock , smashed the driver's window, removed the ignition barrel and broke bits around it ,snapped the steering lock and cut through steering wheel to remove the steering lock and broke the indicators stalk by the looks of it. They also took the light out of the roof for some reason I managed to turn it over earlier and it did fire up but ran for about 5 seconds. It done that a few times and in the end it's just turning over. I now have the key light up and engine management.
I'm guessing it's a coded key and that's why it won't run.

Do you know if it's a case of replacing the barrel with a matching key and that will make it run. ?

Thanks
In my opinion, it may be best to obtain an entire steering column, wheel and assembly, preferably with key

You can contact wreckers or advertise in the classifieds

I dont know what year your XJ is, '96 and earlier did not have an Immobiliser

I believe I have complete assembly with key for a '96, PM me if interested

One more thing...that theft sounds like an inside job
Old 25-07-2023
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

How easy it it to recode the key with a new barrel? I spoke to someone I get parts of yesterday and he said i would be best if changing the whole locking system so all the locks ,ECU ,bcu,remote recover, ignition barrel and skim key reader. Is that more work than I need to be doing? Or is this the easiest way? I can get all these parts with another steering column for £250.
Old 25-07-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Do you think this attempted theft was a targeted hit specific to your car or something random and opportunistic?

Whatever the case either the XJ was hard to steal or the thief was inexperienced or was disturbed in the process.

Many years ago, I was in Adelaide. Circa 1968 Kingswood owners (relatives) were in fear of people breaking into their garages to steal these rare cars. I am wondering if attention is now on XJs.
Old 25-07-2023
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm not sure to be honest. I think it has possibly been looked at before they attempted it as they had something to be able to cut through the steering wheel to remove a steering lock . They probably made it 300/400feet with it and then either gave up or where disturbed like you said.
Old 26-07-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

I would buy all the parts for GBP 230 if I was you, better safe than sorry, spares are always handy with old cars, and can be onsold on ebay if not wanted

XJs have the same as a period GM column, so many thieves are familiar

They are wanted for ram raids and off road capabilty for criminality

Also for spares, probably more so if its a diesel

My starting point is every job is an inside job

I have cars and parts stolen or targeted

It would possibly turn very nasty indeed if I was to catch someone on my remote rural land stealing, as has happened

there is only one way in & out on a very steep road, and if you look over the edge there is some old wrecked cars hundreds of feet down in the trees

They stole a vehicle with a trailer, if I had encountered them in my International, it wouldnt have taken much aggravation for me to ram them over the edge
Post New Thread  Reply