Cables Thru Firewall - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Expert Tips
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts
Default Cables Thru Firewall

Has it always been a hassle trying to run cable thru a cable choked grommet in a firewall ?????
The cable just kinks when you try to push it thru ???

Try this solution.
Push a hole thru with a phillips head screwdriver or similar, must be round or rubber will tear.

Then find a tube of some description which will allow the cable to fit inside. ( I find an old bit of brake line to be good.)

Push the tube thru the hole you made then run the cable thru the tube.

Once cable is thru remove tube, if you did it nicely the grommet will seal around your cable.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 04-04-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 94 Times in 69 Posts
Default Or you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Has it always been a hassle trying to run cable thru a cable choked grommet in a firewall ?????
The cable just kinks when you try to push it thru ???

Try this solution.
Push a hole thru with a phillips head screwdriver or similar, must be round or rubber will tear.

Then find a tube of some description which will allow the cable to fit inside. ( I find an old bit of brake line to be good.)

Push the tube thru the hole you made then run the cable thru the tube.

Once cable is thru remove tube, if you did it nicely the grommet will seal around your cable.
Yep totally agree about using the Philips Screwdriver but before I push it thru I use some drylube on the end first then do the same to the cable so it slides thru the small hole created by the screwdriver and you'll find there is no need to use the brake tube first. I've only been doing this for 40+yrs and was shown this by my father (motor mechanic) and he'd been doing it this way when he started his apprenticeship in 1936.

Something else I learned was if I'm running cables up door pillars, thru the roof or under the carpet (and you don't usually have to remove/lift the carpet) is to use an old mechanical speedo drive cable with your electrical cable taped 2to3"(or can use heatshrink) at the end and push it thru......Easy as

Now if I'm running heavier gauge cable for dual batteries etc, I use gland tubes and drill a hole the correct size as they are water/dust proof + protect the cable from being cut by the metal

BIGGER IS ONLY BIGGER
the nut's behind the wheel make all the difference

Last edited by JeepCJ; 04-04-2015 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2015
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Yep agree with the bit of slippery, I have found by using the tube I only need a smaller hole and with the tube less hangups and the rubber fits snug over the cable.
I have used clear plastic tubing for door /roof runs and just push the cable thru, try to keep away from that stuff, hate working in the cabin.
Originally mine had a power line run from engine bay to tow bar by a dealer, why they ran it into the cabin then back out is beyond me, justify the cost probably.

My dad showed me heaps of things like that also, pity they didn't teach some of the block heads nowadays.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 17-09-2015
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I know this is old but if you unwind a metal coat hanger it will do the same job. The end that you cut with a pair of side cutters will be sharp enough to pierce the gommet.

One the other end, using electrical tape, tape the wire you want to run through the hole to the coat hanger making sure you use enough tape that it's going to hold it to the hanger.

Run the tape along the wire and down hanger for at least an inch. That way it creates a taper which makes it easier to push through the grommet.

Pierce the grommet with the sharp end and keep pulling/pushing it through wire and all.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Post New Thread  Reply