WK2 GC Laredo - Harmonic Balancer Fault - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-09-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WK2 GC Laredo - Harmonic Balancer Fault

Hi all,

Just joined the forum as I am a new owner of a WK2 GC Laredo.

Anyways, wanted to let all the new GC owners in on my GC issue.

My GC has 11000Kms on it and about 2 weeks ago a ticking noise started when the thermo fan kicked it - as I accelerated, the noise got faster. As first I didnt really notice it as it was only slight, but over the next two weeks it progressively got louder and more ofter. I took the car back to Jeep yesterday an low and behold, the harmonic balancer has started to desintegrate, started wearing through the belt and rubbing through the engine block. Luckily I took it in when I did as the belt didnt have long to go and if that had let go, it would have been a different story.

Anyways, I am currently waiting on a harmonic balancer from the US or donor vehicle for Jeep to sacrifice if they can get one from the next shipment.

Either way, just a heads up for the other WK2 GC owners on here to check if they have any ticking noises (kind of like the thermo fan knocking on plastic) to have them checked out. The mechanics did say this is the only one they have seen, so hopefully its an isolated incident.

Other than this, I love the GC and can fault it at all. My first jeep and if this is the only problem, I will certainly be buying another.

Cheers
Mark
Old 23-09-2011
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

What Engine does your WK2 have?
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 23-09-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDSTU View Post
What Engine does your WK2 have?
V6 penstar
Old 01-10-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just an update, Jeep has said they are not sure where the parts are and wont pull them from a donor car.

Customer service at Jeep Australia is woeful but all the service guys have been fantastic.

Jeep now say that the car 'might' be fixed by mid-October.

Until then I am driving a hire car (commodore) so not really happy with Jeeps after sales service.

I'll keep this thread updated incase other have this problem as I see some of the other GC are now being recalled with engine issues as well.
Old 01-10-2011
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Could this be linked to the Penstar recall? Yours wouldn't happen to have been built between August 25 and September 5
Old 01-10-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nah my was built earlier in the year. Apparantly the Aug - Sept recall are affecting the mexican built engines.
Old 03-10-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's pathetic customer service!
It only takes a couple of days to post from the US. They should be getting it here way faster than that, I doubt very much there'd be none available
Post New Thread  Reply