WK2: BMackin Build & Adventure - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-03-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sadly 2012 WK2s come from the factory with no front recovery hooks. I know there has been a lot written about 'The Great Jeep Recovery Hook Debacle of 2012', so I won't get into all the details here.

I took delivery of my WK2 in February 2012, so at the time there were no options anywhere for front recovery hooks. I researched all over the web for options and came up empty. Which basically meant, I had a brand new shiny 4x4 that I couldn't really take off road.

I researched all the options, as many others have. I found you could fabricate a very basic bracket and attach the rear recovery hook (or a US factory recovery hook) to the front right of the vehicle. It is only a matter of hole alignment, for the bolts and the opening in the front fascia. The front left would be much more complex and therefore very costly to fabricate anything. Just as I was about to get something fabricated, Jeep released their kit. It cost $350 plus installation, $550 all up, which almost encouraged me to do the fabricating... lol. In the end, I installed the kit.

I've tested it, and it works fine. Even recovering a Land Cruiser 100 Series buried in the sand to the axles.

I've posted a few photos. I'll take a few more with the front fascia off when I head down to Coffs Harbour at the end of April. As you can see, the recovery hook is recessed quite a bit so it can sit behind the plastic snap on/off plates. It also has a very tight radius making it difficult to slip a tow strap onto it. Plus, there is also a radiator hose (metal) that makes it a very tight fit. Not ideal, that's for sure. And if I weren't going to put a Bull Bar on the front I would definitely look into fabricating something better.

Last edited by bmackin; 14-10-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 24-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Next up, was a pair of rock rails.

I looked at the official rock rails from Jeep (https://www.mopar.com.au/Pages/Store...ils.aspx?D=164) but wasn't too sure. I'd also seen a pair from RRO, (http://www.rocky-road.com/grand-cher...k-sliders.html). I called Stu Murchison from Murchison Products in Brisbane (http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au). I'd come across his name a few times earlier when looking for recovery hooks and off-road wheels, so I figured it was time to give him a call. He was on vacation, but took my call anyway. We chatted for a good 15 minutes or so and he told me the Jeep rock rails were excellent. He offered me a good price including installation and I was sold.

Here are a few photos. As you can see they completely replace the plastic rail that comes standard. They have excellent fit and finish and don't protrude into the wheel well at all, something I was a bit nervous about with larger than stock tires. They are extremely sturdy and completely smooth underneath, with all bolts recessed and out of the way. There was no drilling or cutting required for installation. I haven't tested them yet, but all-in-all I am very impressed with them.

The extra bar that sticks out from the side provides a great place to stand when taking things on/off the roof. But if you'd rather have a clean look without the extra bar, I noticed the 2013 Trailhawk has the same rock rails without the extra bar.

Last edited by bmackin; 14-10-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 24-03-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts

Looks fantastic, got any side pics of the car showing the tyres?
Old 24-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ahh... I forgot to post photos of the off-road wheels and tires.

It took a bit of research to find the maximum tire size that would fit. I settled on 275/65R18s for off-road and the stock 20" wheels and tires for on-road. Since I only bolt these on when I go off-road, I went with Maxxis MT-762s which are fairly aggressive mud tires. They have a nice hum when driving on-road, but nothing the radio can't fix.

They perform great off-road. I've tested them at all suspension heights, cornering, with full articulation and even hitting the bump stops at speed in the sand, (oops). No rubbing at all.

Sadly, they will not fit under the floor where the spare tire goes, but I plan to use that area for storage and put my spare on the roof.

Here are a few photos.

Last edited by bmackin; 14-10-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 24-03-2013
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackin View Post
Sadly 2012 WK2s come from the factory with no front recovery hooks. I know there has been a lot written about 'The Great Jeep Recovery Hook Debacle of 2012', so I won't get into all the details here.

I took delivery of my WK2 in February 2012, so at the time there were no options anywhere for front recovery hooks. I researched all over the web for options and came up empty. Which basically meant, I had a brand new shiny 4x4 that I couldn't really take off road.

I researched all the options, as many others have. I found you could fabricate a very basic bracket and attach the rear recovery hook (or a US factory recovery hook) to the front right of the vehicle. It is only a matter of hole alignment, for the bolts and the opening in the front fascia. The front left would be much more complex and therefore very costly to fabricate anything. Just as I was about to get something fabricated, Jeep released their kit. It cost $350 plus installation, $550 all up, which almost encouraged me to do the fabricating... lol. In the end, I installed the kit.

I've tested it, and it works fine. Even recovering a Land Cruiser 100 Series buried in the sand to the axles.

I've posted a few photos. I'll take a few more with the front fascia off when I head down to Coffs Harbour at the end of April. As you can see, the recovery hook is recessed quite a bit so it can sit behind the plastic snap on/off plates. It also has a very tight radius making it difficult to slip a tow strap onto it. Plus, there is also a radiator hose (metal) that makes it a very tight fit. Not ideal, that's for sure. And if I weren't going to put a Bull Bar on the front I would definitely look into fabricating something better.
I would be very cautious snatching in that manner with only one hook on the front. I am still concerned that there is a risk of twisting the unibody by snatching large forces from one side.
Two hooks (with equalizer strap) would be the right way to snatch but we dont have that option right now

Matt
2013 WK2 3.0
CRDSTU Lift | Uneek BullBar | Mopar Skids
Old 24-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjeeper View Post
I would be very cautious snatching in that manner with only one hook on the front. I am still concerned that there is a risk of twisting the unibody by snatching large forces from one side.
Two hooks (with equalizer strap) would be the right way to snatch but we dont have that option right now
Yes I agree Matt. It's partly why I removed the rear factory tow hook and replaced it with a tow hitch and a recovery hook receiver. I'm anxious to get a Bull Bar installed, which should better distribute the recovery forces in the front.
Old 24-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've just installed a new pair of seat covers from a company called SuperTrim (www.supertrim.com.au) down in Victoria. They use neoprene, similar to the stuff used in wetsuits. It is soft, flexible, hard wearing and very stretchable.

My WK2 is the first 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland they've done, so their pattern maker went down to the local dealer to make the pattern. I made sure to tell them I didn't want the covers to interfere with the seat controls or the side air bags in the seat. They were a great company to work with, although I did need to chase them up a few times.

The covers are pretty easy to put on, fit snugly and are working great so far. Since I'm only going to use them when I go off-road, I wanted something easy to take on/off, and these seem to fit the bill perfectly. They'll get a proper test when we head down to Coffs Harbour from April 25th till May 4th.

Here's a few photos:

Last edited by bmackin; 14-10-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply