XJ Mods VSB 14 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-09-2014
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts
Default XJ Mods VSB 14

Hi, this is my first post, so hi to everyone out there. Im in a bit of a bind. I have had an XJ in WA for a few years now. Got carried away and it soon had 35's with 4.88 gears and ARB lockers, ACOS front suspension and bigger rear springs and shackles. Also, bushwacker flares etc. So, it took a few years but i finally have a WA defect notice. I took it over the pits and it was a crucifixion. I was told to read VSB14 as WA is now a signatory and they gave me a Modification Application form to fill in and hand back, which gets assessed.
I have read the guidelines back to front but am still unclear on a few things and was hoping a few members can provide definitive advice. I dont want to go down the certification stage and have to do a swerve test if possible, but i will do one if somebody can clarify how it is carried out in WA and who to see.
Ok, questions: I have ARB lockers and 4.88 gears controlled from the cabin. is this allowed without too much hassle. I also have adjustable and lockable lower and upper control arms? Anyone know if this is allowed? My ACOS front gives 2" lift on standard springs but is ACOS itself allowed? I have bought a second hand set of 31's... am i going to get away with a 2" lift and 31's as it would take the total roof height up around 100mm more than standard and the new rules state 50mm total. Am i screwed on that setup and have to get the swerve test? Also, my rims have a 3.75 offset. Read in the VSB14 that they dont accept any different offset from standard. Most none standard rims have a different offset. Anyone clear on that one? I think thats about it for now. I have parked the beast up and am de-registering it and giving myself a year to rebuild and try to get some form of certification. However, i would like to go back up to a 4" lift and 33" tyres again.... gotta fill the space where the bushwackers are. Does anyone know of a consulting engineer that can be contacted in Perth and is familiar with Jeep mods? If i go the swerve test way, then i may as well go the biggest legal setup i am allowed as per VSBloodyB14.
Thanks in advance fellow XJ'ers.
By the way, i just jumped ship and purchased a 2004 GC Overland as my new daily driver while the beast is parked up. Pick it up on Wednesday. 4.7 HO should put a smile on my face.... and a dent in my wallet
Cheers,
Alex

Last edited by alexbrown64; 12-03-2016 at 05:54 PM. Reason: made a mistake with the gear ratios
Old 21-09-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

All I can say it don't take anyone's advice as concrete. Contact an engineer, their approval is the important bit, before you spend any money. It might be cheaper and easier to swap everything back to stock. I imagine xj parts are quite cheap. An engineer is possibly going to take a dim view of an old xj especially if it isn't in really good condition.
Old 22-09-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

I just had a quick skim through this standard, a 50mm increase in track is allowable (NCOP11) so you 3.75" BS rims are no go. 4.25" BS rims are max allowable and 50mm in height increase without certification (tyres and lift) and up to 150mm total (75mm suspension lift) with certification. Shallower offset rims are dubious so KJ rims and Territoy rims require case by case inspection....
This also means that 31's still don't comply...
Extended shackles, still illegal....
Interesting that they discuss heim joints and they are allowed if of a suitable standard which means adjustable arms are also allowed if they are of suitable build and allow full movement without binding, interesting for those of us with adjustable arms especially if they use the OEM bushes like I use....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 22-09-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 57 Times in 41 Posts

There's a list of approved engineers in the DOT website, I'll try find it and send it to you. You're basically up for around 1500 - 2k in the process.

What he explained to me was that you have to do the following:
1. Fill in the modification approval form.
2. Once accepted make the modifications.
3. Engineer to inspect once modifications are made.
4. Lange change test, usually done at Barbagallo by yourself or you can nominate to have a professional driver. Engineer has to be present to witness this.
5. have it go over the pits with all the results etc.

I think if you're lucky or work it out well you might be able to book both lane change and inspection in one hit so it could save you some coin. He was a bit unclear about what max tyre size is allowed.

Basically all of the do's and don'ts will be clarified in the application form, just make sure you have a very comprehensive application with EVERY mod you want or have and they will approve it or tell you what you can't do.

I was recently going to do this as well to get a bit more clearance and bigger tyres without worrying but opted out of it for now.
Old 22-09-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 130 Times in 82 Posts

I was of the understanding the driver for the for the lane change test had to be CAMS approved.
Old 22-09-2014
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Even with engineering I wouldn't attempt to get it passed with 35s. There are a few members who have 4" plus lifts and they get it engineered but put 31s on to pass rego. You run 35s with those diff gears . Is it fairly sluggish on the highway? I know that's a side issue but I am curious.

Regards A
Old 22-09-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 57 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COFFMAN View Post
I was of the understanding the driver for the for the lane change test had to be CAMS approved.
That's what my impression was too, was quite shocked when he said I could do it myself. Maybe he was mistaken.. Engineers never seem to give straight answers!

I'd opt for the driver regardless knowing he can drive better than I can and my heeper has less chance of having a nap.
Post New Thread  Reply