NEW RANCHO RS9000X - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2002
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default NEW RANCHO RS9000X

we just got a technical bulletin in from tennaco automotive u.s.a., seems they have tarted up the good old RS9000 5 speeder to 9 speed adjustable settings and given it the X rating, hence the new model part number designation.

were not sure when we'll see them and if they will cost more, i guess they want to run all the older 9000's out first.

twas bad to see someone having a bad run with them on a nissan? hell, in 10yrs of selling them we have had one snap at the base of the rod/piston (a log got it i reckon but we still replaced it), one hydraulicly too noisy for a very fussy WJ owner on the speed humps of doncaster (so we gave him another one-not what i'de call a legit problem) and one on a disco shit the comp damping rite away. and we sell a heap of them!

rancho have something like a 1% return rate. maybe some set ups and drivers and the use the 4x4 gets like in the nissans case is a bit too much for just about any shock, seeing as 3 packed up on that rig?? allthough knockng a knob off isn't exactly a shocker a defect, rather impact damage & having a spare knob or two, an alan key to suit and 2 minutes its sorted.

i'll let you'all know when we see them here in Aust.
Old 11-07-2002
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

the truck with the ranchos that shat themselves was a 100 series cruiser that was fully decked out, ie prob about 1 ton of extra weight on the vehicle over standard, so yeah a lot was expected outta the ranchos. the truck they were on is the 100 series in my gallery. :eek: contact "doc" on this board and get him to send you a post a pic of the busted shock, worth a look.
Old 11-07-2002
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

TW,

Thanks for keeping us uptodate on new product release.
Hmm 9speeder huh - just like my first racing bike ;)
Are they likely to be offered in a wider range? I think I'd like something a bit longer than my current OME's in the future - especially in the rear...(N67L series currently)...
Old 12-07-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I'm the rancho wrecker!!

A lot I think has to do with the mountings..the adjusters are far to exposed - at least in the crusier for serious offroad for my likeing. Havent had a look under the jeeps to compare. Replacing the adjusters might be simple, but really thats not the point - its really a waste of space and time to carry them as spares when in the middle of the desert.

One of the front shocks was torn from its mount with a suspect weld.

I'll leave Rancho with the 1% return rate as these are going to the tip - going to try the LTRs with remote canaster to avoid that sort of damage.

From a Jeep perspective though this may not be an issue in the least, but for the few extra bucks it may worth considering the LTRs.

It may seem like I take it all a bit seriously, but remember that the only real thing keeping the spring in the vehicle, and the front end hanging together is the shock absorber!! Once thats broken off, its time to hope you've got a kevlar brakeline or something!!

Making sure that the shocks dont get slammed or tugged with appropriate compression and extension measurements is obviously extreamly important to their longevitiy.

I'll give you all a report on the LTRs once they're fitted.
Old 15-07-2002
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wooders, were not privy to the sizes or actual availability date yet, just the story there coming.

bummer doc you had a bad run on the yota with them, lets hope the LTR's do a better job for you.

they would want to at $216 a corner price difference. the remote resivoir will help too, all a shocker does is convert energy to heat and it sounds like your good at hammering them on a full house 100 series & mongrel rough long roads.

it would seem in that application a single RS9000 a corner doesn't cut it. some guys run a pair with one set hooked up to a remote.

it would be a good thing to run a mammoth capicity shock on such a massive van used heavily, all the jeeps we fit them too would weigh in a ton less probably.

desert race trucks runing 2 fox remote shocks a corner is a good ndication of upgrading the system for extreme use.

we have never had a broken knob on any jeep either, maybe the tojo had a side ways lower mount?? nor seen a weld bust but there always a first time isnt there.
Old 15-07-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Certainly the twin shock arrangement is one of the things we've been looking at. Hopefully with the valving and cannester we should survive with one per corner.

The rear knob issue is definately a problem with the mounting - way to exposed.
Old 17-07-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

tw - have you got any info on the new procomp mx6 or bilstien 9100 series?

Are the mx6 actually a rancho anyways?

Just looking at shocks that are longer than 9012's.

idea of the price of any/all of these?

thanks
Post New Thread  Reply