What have you done to your JK this week? 2.5M Views - Page 53 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckath View Post
Custom made reversing light and rear light brakets waiting for the lights to come in.
What sort of light are you going with? LED?
Did you make the light bracket yourself? It looks really tidy where the factory plate goes.
Old 02-09-2009
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odelay View Post
What sort of light are you going with? LED?
Did you make the light bracket yourself? It looks really tidy where the factory plate goes.
I made the reverseing brackets my self,the lights will being 55watt 75mmx50 mm driving lights from a truck parts supplier,just waiting for stock to come in i will post pic when finished.The original cover plate is removed,and replaced by the new bracket.A rubber gasket was fitted behind, this is what looks like the original plastic cover.

Last edited by Sckath; 02-09-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default new news

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalani View Post
I can tell you from my recent personal experience and opinions from several paint shops to confirm that magnets might protect your paintwork from scratches but they screw the paint up underneath.

I placed business logos on my work hilux doors, making sure that both the panle and the magnet were 100% clean. After several weeks i went to cleaned the car and removed the magnets. All looged good but once i finished of with chamois it was clearly visible paint damage where the magnets were. It now looks like a permanent spotty opaque stain on the paint.

I have been informed by several paint shops whom i questioned about it that the chemicals in the magnets can have an adverse reaction to the cheimcals in the paint and draw them oto the surface causing the opaque area.
Hi Kalani. Ain't these forums great - I never would have thought that anyone would have had such expertise in the area of magnets that you have. Goes to show that there is nothing new under the sun. You sure got my attention with your post. This is the first I have heard about problems with magnetic skin. I know that the careless and constant removal/replacement of logos can scratch up the paint. Anyway I raced outside and ripped off a big section of magnetic material from my car and scrutinised the original surface closely. I can't see any sign of the paint shine dimming. I could see the blotchy texture where the material had glued itself to the surface but this came off with a quick wipe of a damp cloth. The material has been on continuously for eight months. How long do you think it takes before you can see signs of damage? I will watch it closely from now on thanks to your tip. If I can see a problem coming I will remove the material during everyday use and put it on for serious bush work. The advantage of the 2 door is that it is not a hard job to take it off and put it back on.

Thanks for your input - I value every word from other forum members as I know nothing about Wranglers. If it weren't for others I would still be putting up with the "seat belt not on" chime and not have discovered that Harley Davidson mirrors work a treat in the vacant door hinges. Now if only someone can tell me how to disable the bleeding door chimes (I usually leave the plug unplugged) and recalibrate the tyre pressure sensor - I would be very happy!!?

Cheers

Shocking yellow, Sport CRD not quite standard
Old 02-09-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colingo View Post
I have to agree with this. I have had it happen before with business logo magnets. Had the worst effect on red and black paint. I now have a few marks on my Prado paint from magnetic L and P plates over the last couple of years. These are made worse by not having a perfectly clean surface every time they go on, but it's only a Prado, right.
With the business magnets we always made sure that both the magnet and vehicle were clean and it still left blemishes. It will polish up a little better but it will never disappear.
Thanks for your comment Colingo. Do you have an idea of how long it takes before the magnetic material starts to cause permanent damage to the original paint? I gave a longer response on this to Kalani.

Cheers

Shocking yellow, Sport CRD not quite standard
Old 02-09-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickturtle View Post
Thanks for your comment Colingo. Do you have an idea of how long it takes before the magnetic material starts to cause permanent damage to the original paint? I gave a longer response on this to Kalani.

Cheers
Gidday Slickturtle. The magnets that we had were on a falcon and an F100 for about 2 or 3 years, which is when they became faded and unreadable. They rarely got taken off and when they did they left bits of magnet behind on the paintwork. The black F100 looked worse as it dulled the paint and the falcon had a sort of darker patch on each door. This could have also been caused by the sun not getting to the paint under the magnet and therefore not fading it as much.
As an aside, our old fridge has rusty marks on it which are the same shape as the magnets that were on it. I don't know if this is caused by the magnet breaking down or the paint breaking down, but the paint is damaged and is rusting.
Old 02-09-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickturtle View Post

Thanks for your input - I value every word from other forum members as I know nothing about Wranglers. If it weren't for others I would still be putting up with the "seat belt not on" chime and not have discovered that Harley Davidson mirrors work a treat in the vacant door hinges. Now if only someone can tell me how to disable the bleeding door chimes (I usually leave the plug unplugged) and recalibrate the tyre pressure sensor - I would be very happy!!?

Cheers
Hey Slickturtle,

No problems for the info. I would have to say that some magnets may be worse than others. I only had mine on for 1 week and the paint turned opaque. Like you said, i also had the blotchy texture where the magnet had been stuck to the pain but i could not remove it at all. I couldnt believe it and people told me i must have had dirt underneath but i can assure you it was 100% clean. The magnets were screenprinted also which may have something do do with additional chemicals?? I was able to remove some of the mark with a fine cut and polish but its still not as it was.

Last edited by kalani; 02-09-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

Got a 2 inch lift today (Springs only) but it looks great apart from the wheels which now look like skate board scale...I have BFG ATs 265 70 16s (31s)
Can I get 33s on the same rims? 7.5 width
Post New Thread  Reply