Acute engine stalling whilst driving, 2 months jeep dealer no luck they cannot fix it - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Default Acute engine stalling whilst driving, 2 months jeep dealer no luck they cannot fix it

Hello,

I'm new here and having to worse experience with my beloved
2001 WJ Grand Cherokee 4.7 v8 and was hoping to get some help.

This one is hard to explain without turning it into a "my life story"
so I'll try and keep it as short as possible.

After 5 years of no worries driving my car stalled whilst driving at approx 60km.
The power steering stopped and all gauges went dead.

I left it for hours and tried again but no luck it would crank but not start.

We than got it towed to my mechanic who replaced the crank sensor, but which did not fix it however he noticed that the ECU/PCM wasn't responding and was getting 50 fault codes, which he said happens sometimes when the car loses connection to the ecu.

So off I went again and got it towed to Jeep Hoppers crossing to reconnect the ecu with the rest of the modules. But that did not happen, after 1 week I called them and asked them what happening. They said my ECU was broken
and they had to order a "new one" .Got quoted $800. Told them to go ahead.

Another week passed and I called Jeep again for an update. Sorry sir the ECU we ordered didn't fix the problem. So after questioning them I found out that it was no new ecu at all but a used one they bought at Poly 4x4 in Huntingdale Melbourne??

So off I went to search for a reputable ECU company that specialized in ECU repairs/refurbish and found one in the USA who has great feedback and was very prompt and sounded professional. All he needed was my VIN the ECU/PCM part nr and the exact KM's my car had done.

No shit 5 days and $300 later it arrived. The Jeep dealer had agreed to install it for me free of charge after admitting that they had been slack on keeping me up to date. So I dropped off the newly programmed ECU/PCM and felt relieved that this was the end of it.

Wrong next day I get a call from Jeep that they are not able to connect to this ecu as well or retrieve any codes nothing.

So at this stage I would think hmmm 3 ecu's not working could it be something else perhaps?! and asked them to check all the wiring
earth cable etc. On which they replied that all of this had been done.

2 months in at this stage, Jeep tells me that they can not fix because there is no ETA from jeep USA when new blank ECU's would be restocked, and this is what they need to fix my jeep and would cost me $3000. However after speaking to the mechanic instead of sales man at the Jeep garage he said that jeep did not make any new ECU's for this model anymore due to the age??

So yeah pretty much got suggested to buy a new jeep.

Now contacting poly 4x4 and expaining situation they convinced me that they would be able to fix it as they have heaps of parts. So I towed it to poly 4x4 (70km away) who said that they would ring me when it was done but that it would most likely be done in 1 day. Ok great.

1 week had passed and again no call or update, so this morning I rang them and they told me that it NOT the ECU but cable loom related as they hooked up an ecu and dash module with matching key from another car to mine and it still did not start?? And hinted towards scrapping it. As they looked at it for 2 hours and couldn't find anything?

So it looks like their initial enthusiasm and confidence has changed to the typical wrecker mentality.

How ever I rather eat shit than leaving it there, and have racv total care now.

so please if there is anyone that had similar experience or now what to look for any advise is greatly appreciated as im at the end of the road mechanic wise. I'm no electrician but have knowledge with a multi-meter, and will sure as hell have a good crack at finding what is wrong with it. Especially with jeep writing a statement that its 100% the ECU and not the wiring and Poly saying it's the wiring and not the ECU

Pffeewww This really was the short version.

Anyone Please Heeeeellllppp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4775.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	78154  

Last edited by Jeep Toastie; 13-03-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 13-03-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

I feel you need to go back to basics, it would be worth having fuel pressure checked, remove a spark plug and check for spark whilst cranking, check for injection voltage pulse with a multimeter whilst cranking.
Have you considered the possibility that the engine may have broken a timing chain? worth checking.

If all these items above check out OK, have a look for a damage to the engine wiring loom. If the loom is suspect it can be changed insitu it is a big job but not impossible
Old 14-03-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

I have to agree here. So many places now just expect to plug in and find a problem, when it could be as simple as a fuel blockage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 14-03-2019

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
I have to agree here. So many places now just expect to plug in and find a problem, when it could be as simple as a fuel blockage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Yep, my experience of the Jeep dealer at Hoppers Crossing is that basically, they’re a glorified car wash who can also do oil changes.
Old 14-03-2019
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
I feel you need to go back to basics, it would be worth having fuel pressure checked, remove a spark plug and check for spark whilst cranking, check for injection voltage pulse with a multimeter whilst cranking.
Have you considered the possibility that the engine may have broken a timing chain? worth checking.

If all these items above check out OK, have a look for a damage to the engine wiring loom. If the loom is suspect it can be changed insitu it is a big job but not impossible
Hi Classic Boy,

I just got the jeep back from poly 4x4.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

In the weekend I will check all these things and report back.

When you mention the possibility of a broken timing chain, wouldn't this have made some kind of noise when the car broke down? or can they go silently? (sorry if this a noob question)

Is there a good source for downloading wire loom diagrams for jeep.
So far I found this.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/239887718...Wiring-Diagram

Cheers for the help.!
Old 19-03-2019
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post

Hey Classic boy

So I checked all above suggested and found out the following after going wild with the multi meter.

Two potential problems that appear related:

1: When all loom plugs are in and the ECU has 12v, then the 5v supply to sensors only has less than 1 volt coming out of it.

2 When all loom plugs are in, the 5v sensor supply is closed circuit to ground. It goes open circuit (to ground) when the ECU loom plug is out.
I’m not sure why or if it’s even supposed to behave in this manner. It seems the 5v supply is being dragged down by a short to ground when all plugs are in. Other ECU’s I’ve installed always have 5v without a short to ground where plugged in or not.

What do you guys make of this?

Cheers
Old 19-03-2019
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,550 Times in 4,342 Posts

When you find a good compliant jeep dealer in Victoria please let us all know. I have not found one yet. A 10 year old car will be starting to have wiring loom issues.