What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 237 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts

Went out for a run in it, before we head off to coffs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep no number.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	32087   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep flex 012.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	32088   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep flex 007.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	32089  
Old 07-04-2009
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcb74xj96 View Post
finally finished fitting my new winch today. started with a NON winch bar. modified a mounting plate to suit. modified the bar. lots of work but worth it in the end.

Wouldn't mind some pics etc of how you did it.
Old 07-04-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
This is temporary, they are only attached from underneath so can be taken of again with nothing showing they were there, I plan to make some molds and flares myself later on Cant bring my self to spend $700 or so on bushwackers.

Cheers
Steve
I'm pretty happy with the flares I got and were 1" wider than stock. I was going to try and make a mould etc to make some f'glass or kevlar ones, but just didn't have the time or space where I am at the moment and didn't want to keep driving around with the tyres sticking out so much (although in Darwin I don't think it matters so much). Still $500 would have gone a long way towards a winch or something more useful than 4 bits of plastic hanging off the guards). One way of doing the flares would be to glue high density foam on the guard in the rough shape, then sand to shape and glass. You could then make moulds off that. A combination of S-glass, kevlar and carbon fbr would make a really stong flare. Carbon would look great but too brittle for impacts.
Old 07-04-2009

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

fitted new glow plugs...starts so much better now
Old 08-04-2009
RustysRocker

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Fabricated a new rubber bushing for the upper shock mount on the front passenger shock, old one was virtually non existant. No more loose shock rattles and will tide over till I get new shocks.
Old 08-04-2009
Some Fear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJKEE View Post
Wouldn't mind some pics etc of how you did it.
hi xjkee
i only took a few pics during the install , once i get going on a project i barely even remember to stop to eat and sleep , let alone take pics !
anyway , started by cutting the mounting plate down to size and removing the rear 'lip' (so the winch is still removable after welding in the mounting plate).
some people don't weld in the mounting plate at all, just bolt it in using the 2fairlead bolts ! this makes the whole unit easily removable but i question it's strength.
when you have the mounting plate trimmed to size and sitting in the bar , trace out the shape/location of the fairlead hole. drill the corners of the opening then do a 'dot to dot' with your angle grinder.
i then cut another smaller hole in the top flat surface of the bar for the wiring to feed through between the winch body and the solenoid pack.
weld in the mounting plate (making sure the winch body actually fits into the space left for it ! )then re paint the whole bar to make it look pretty.
this is a very brief description of the whole process , but you can see from the ONE photo i did take whats actually involved.
p.s. it would be easier to fit a smaller 9.5 or maybe 10 000lb winch because both the motor and the gearbox are a slightly smaller diameter than the 12 000lb winch i fitted.
cheers .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6394.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	32103  
Old 08-04-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcb74xj96 View Post
hi xjkee
i only took a few pics during the install , once i get going on a project i barely even remember to stop to eat and sleep , let alone take pics !
anyway , started by cutting the mounting plate down to size and removing the rear 'lip' (so the winch is still removable after welding in the mounting plate).
some people don't weld in the mounting plate at all, just bolt it in using the 2fairlead bolts ! this makes the whole unit easily removable but i question it's strength.
when you have the mounting plate trimmed to size and sitting in the bar , trace out the shape/location of the fairlead hole. drill the corners of the opening then do a 'dot to dot' with your angle grinder.
i then cut another smaller hole in the top flat surface of the bar for the wiring to feed through between the winch body and the solenoid pack.
weld in the mounting plate (making sure the winch body actually fits into the space left for it ! )then re paint the whole bar to make it look pretty.
this is a very brief description of the whole process , but you can see from the ONE photo i did take whats actually involved.
p.s. it would be easier to fit a smaller 9.5 or maybe 10 000lb winch because both the motor and the gearbox are a slightly smaller diameter than the 12 000lb winch i fitted.
cheers .
Thanks for that. I'm thinking of adding a winch later to the bar I built, so always looking to see what others have done. How thick are your mounting plates both the bottom winch one and the ones for the ARB bar?