The Aussie Jeep JL Wrangler Revealed - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-11-2017
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default The Aussie Jeep JL Wrangler Revealed

<br />
2018 Jeep Scrambler Jeep JL Pickup Jeep ute jeep jl wrangler Jeep has driven its iconic Wrangler into the 21st century, revealing its new-generation off-road icon at the 2017 Los Angeles motor show.

Not that you'd know by first appearances, but the American four-wheel drive brand has totally revamped the Wrangler, with new more efficient engines, up-to-date safety features and modern conveniences, all without spoiling its rugged, heritage-inspired style while improving its off-road capabilities.

Key to the new Wrangler is an all-new ladder-frame chassis with upgraded suspension, a new permanent four-wheel drive transmission, an eight-speed automatic gearbox and lighter aluminium body panels, all designed to improve the vehicle’s everyday on-road driving character and reduce fuel consumption while building on its legendary four-wheel drive status.

Due to reach Australian showrooms late next year, the Wrangler will continue to be available in two body styles – a short wheelbase two-door version and long-wheelbase four-door – with a dual-cab pick-up to be added at a later date. The two-door will be offered, in America at least, in three trim levels – Sport and Rubicon – while the four-door has three options with the inclusion of a luxury-focused Overland variant.

Australian details have yet to be finalised, but it is expected that Jeep will offer a similar range locally than it does at present with marginal price rises over today’s model, which starts at $38,990 (plus on-roads) for the entry-level two-door Wrangler Sport with a five-speed manual and tops out at $53,990 (plus on-roads) for the four-door Rubicon with an automatic.

Every variant in the new Wrangler range will feature class-leading off-road ability – and Jeep’s highest Trail Rating – with 278mm of ground clearance, 762mm of water fording, and approach and departure angles of 44 degrees and 37 degrees respectively.

The Sport and Overland variants will be equipped with Jeep’s latest Command-Trac four-wheel drive transmission, which features a 2.72:1 low-range transfer case, upgraded Dana solid axles and a 3.45:1 final drive ratio.

For even more hard-core work, the Rubicon has a Rock-Trac four-wheel drive transmission with heavy-duty Dana 44 axles, 33-inch off-road tyres, a lower transfer-case ratio of 4:1 and reduced final drive ratio of 4.10:1 as well as an electronically-controlled front anti-roll bar that can be disconnected for increased wheel articulation.

Both can be optioned with a limited slip rear differential for additional traction in low-grip conditions.

Two new engines will join the line-up in the US, alongside a modified version of the existing 3.6-litre petrol V6.

The first is a 2.0-litre turbo charged four-cylinder with a mild hybrid system that can provide additional torque under acceleration or shut down the engine while coasting for improved fuel consumption.

It produces 200kW and 400Nm thanks to a twin-scroll turbo charger, high-pressure direct-injection cylinder heads and a dedicated cooling system to lower the intake temperature, and will be exclusively mated to a new eight-speed automatic transmission.

The other – although not due to be released until 2019 and only available in four-door variants with the eight-speed auto – is a reworked version of the 3.0-litre turbo diesel V6 from the Grand Cherokee, now featuring stop-start and producing 195kW and 600Nm of torque.

In Australia, the Wrangler will be offered with a 2.2-litre turbo diesel four-cylinder or the 213kW/353Nm petrol V6, both mated exclusively to the eight-speed automatic with no manual transmission available.

As it has done, there will have dozens of different options for the doors, roof and windshield combinations, including a Sunrider soft-top roof, body-coloured hard-top with removeable panels and a new Sky One-Touch powertop that has a retractable canvas section in the centre.

With any combination, the roof can be fully removed - and much easier than before - while new lightweight aluminium doors can be taken off and the windscreen can fold down flat to create the ultimate open-air experience.

Jeep considers the Wrangler the “911 of four-wheel drives” and, as such, hasn’t messed with its signature exterior design too much, and instead introduced some modern touches like LED head and tail lights on range-topping variants, revised bumpers and sharpened the rake of the windscreen for better aerodynamics. But don’t be fooled by its familiar appearance as every body panel is new.

The most noticeable visual change happens when you step up into the cabin, where it features a much more modern, but still retro-inspired, environment. The T-bar style layout is dominated by a body-coloured horizontal section with four round air vents, an instrument panel with a colour digital screen between the speedo and tacho and a multimedia screen in the centre above the console which houses controls for the air conditioning, window switches and off-road driving mode selector.

There’s also a weather-proof push-button starter, two USB and 12V power outlets within the cabin as well as an optional 115V AC powerpoint to keep laptops or other devices charged – although it is yet to be confirmed whether this will be adapted to suit 240V appliances and be offered in Australian models.

Depending on specification, the colour touch screen will measure either 7.0-inches or 8.4-inches but all will feature Jeep’s latest fourth-generation Uconnect multimedia system with smartphone mirroring, nav and unique off-road driving pages.

As for safety, all Wrangler models are equipped with four airbags and there is the option for Jeep Australia to include up-to-date active driver aids such as blind spot monitoring, reverse camera, rear cross traffic alert and an electronic roll mitigation function. However, autonomous emergency braking is yet to be confirmed with Jeep Australia pushing its American headquarters for its inclusion before the Wrangler arrives.

More details on local specifications and pricing will be announced closer to the Wrangler’s launch in late 2018.

Share your thoughts below!

www.ausjeepoffroad.com

Last edited by Jimmyb; 30-11-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 30-11-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Seems I got everything I wanted.
- 3.0v6 diesel
- 33inch stock
- can handle 35s unmodified and full flex (rubi)
- 8 speed auto which will keep the engine in the power.
- heaps of jk issues fixed

One (massive) down side - jeep aus. (Hopefully initial reports are wrong)
- no 3.0 diesel in Australia it seems
- tyres watered down to 32

We may get the 2.2 diesel, which is ok. No word if that power plant will be in a rubi (hopefully not like the current diesels where we don’t get rubi versions).

Exciting if your in the US, disappointing for me personally, here in aus...

Last edited by neomut; 30-11-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 30-11-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Also if i read it correctly, no manual option for either engine in australia. Also disappointing as personally i prefer a third pedal

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Old 30-11-2017
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I hope the stop/start feature can be turned off. I'd rather pay for the little bit of fuel it uses at idle than to have a pause at take off.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 30-11-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I hope the stop/start feature can be turned off. I'd rather pay for the little bit of fuel it uses at idle than to have a pause at take off.
I'm pretty sure this system on most cars can be turned off, conditions need to be ample for it work anyway.
Old 30-11-2017
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 30-11-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 172 Times in 124 Posts

Autonomous braking.......no thanks (not from jeep/Chrysler)
Post New Thread  Reply