Street legal considerations - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-07-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Street legal considerations

Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm something with the fellow Jeep owners in Victoria.

I got a Jeep back in Brisbane when I arrived in Australia last Sept. This Jeep has a lift of 5 inches (previous owner mentioned) as well as 35 inch tires. I had a roadworthy for the car and I assume it is legal in Queensland.

Now in Feb. I moved to Melbourne for various reasons and I heard that the lift I have is not legal in Victoria. When I re-registered the car from Queensland to Victoria I did not have to show the car anymore since the owner have not changed.

So I just wonder in what kind of situation I am right now. It looks like I am about 10 cm over the limit in Victoria (heard. 3 inches max plus 33inches max tires).

However when I look at trucks they are even higher than my Jeep. Can I potentially register the Jeep as a truck instead of a regular car.

With the German driving licence I am entitled to drive trucks up to 7.5 tons so this should not be the issue.

Can anyone share some insights, please?

Thanks
Joerg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Old 16-07-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The law states its 3" total I believe. That puts one in a predicament of say a 2" lift and a 1" bigger diameter tyre. Any bigger, and the car is able to be defected. An engineers certificate will clear any issues that may arise. I have numerous mates with patrols who have been 'canaried' (yellow unroadworthy sticker) with 5in lift and 37's. You need to be careful, and melbourne is the nanny state so enjoy that
Old 16-07-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

Your real concern apart from being defected because that is really a matter of chance, is if you have a road accident and find that your insurance is not valid because your vehicle is assessed as being illegally modified in the eyes of the law.

The whole country is becoming a nanny state but Vic seems to to be the vanguard.
Old 16-07-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishW96 View Post
melbourne is the nanny state so enjoy that
true but I believe the laws with respect to modifercations in QLD are more stringent than Vic, not sure or perhaps the Po Po here in Shitsvic are just more informed? Who knows but the drill is...

"13.3 Raising of Four Wheel Drive Vehicles – Alternative to VSB 14 Modification Code LS

In the case of raising the height of an offroad type 4WD of ADR Category NA, NB1, MC or MD, and only in this case, the following two options apply as alternatives to meeting the requirements of Section LS of VSB 14. (the options are 75mm total lift, tyres and suspension, or 1/3 of suspension travel and restrictions on tyre diameter)

[Source: VSI 8 Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles ]

Note the reference to MC categorisation for Victoria. That means owners of Ford Everest, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawks and 2015-onwards Jeep Grand Cherokees miss out as they are all categorised as MA passenger vehicles. Owners of utes are fine as they are categorised NA."

LINK to article: HERE
Link to PDF: HERE

I know a TJ owner here in Shitsvic that spent 6 grand getting cert for 33"s but then it's probably going to cost at least half that to get your rig legal depending on how you go about it, it's a real conundrum.
Old 16-07-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'd say let it get defected. You dont have p plates, so probably wont happen....... itll be cheaper than engineering
Old 19-07-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks a lot for all your replies.

Not sure if I would spend so much money for getting the car legally approved. In this case I think I follow your recommendation to let it get defected. I wont use the Jeep for my daily drive anyway since I would only drive short distances and my fuel consumption goes to the rooftop.

I consider to register the Jeep only during summer and have another car for winter. So when I move the Jeep I most likely will go off-road anyway and I hope that I wont come across any checkpoints on the way to the tracks.

I also will change the type of insurance. Away from comprehensive towards 3rd party and theft only. I reckon if I roll over the jeep off-road no insurance will pay for it anyway.
Old 22-07-2018
Jedi Master

Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergM View Post
Thanks a lot for all your replies.

Not sure if I would spend so much money for getting the car legally approved. In this case I think I follow your recommendation to let it get defected. I wont use the Jeep for my daily drive anyway since I would only drive short distances and my fuel consumption goes to the rooftop.

I consider to register the Jeep only during summer and have another car for winter. So when I move the Jeep I most likely will go off-road anyway and I hope that I wont come across any checkpoints on the way to the tracks.

I also will change the type of insurance. Away from comprehensive towards 3rd party and theft only. I reckon if I roll over the jeep off-road no insurance will pay for it anyway.
If it’s illegal = even a third party insurance will be null and void.

Not only that you’d have to avoid checkpoint charlie po pos but also an actual accident as you will be liable, not the third party insurance cover as there is no cover.
Post New Thread  Reply