WH CRD "Service Elec Brake System" error - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-05-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question WH CRD "Service Elec Brake System" error

Hi guys,

I was driving my '05 WH yesterday when it suddenly flashed a "Service Elec Brake" system error at me on the dash. I was doing around 90 with the cruise control on & it was a straight piece of road (so no bumps or jolts or anything). Car still drove fine so I parked it at home & figured it was probably just the CPU playing up. When I jumped in it later I noticed that it was making "binding" noises from the transfer case at low speed as if I had it in low range and was trying to turn full lock (hopefully that description makes sense). This was furthered when I had to do a u-turn to pull up at my mates place and it bound up badly, nearly coming to a halt. I still thought it my be the computer so I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes but this of course made no difference.

My net research into this issue has not been real successful. Some people say it is chafing on the wiring harness and replacing it solves the problem. I am not really sure to which harness they are referring (pardon my ignorance). Perhaps a auto-elec could recondition it?
Another guy had a short in his brake light bulb which threw the error. I am going to investigate that shortly but don't hold out much hope on that one.

I was hoping the WH experts on here might be able to point me in the right direction as this one has me stumped.
Old 26-05-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK I just finished removing the bash plate that covers the diff/sump and low and behold there is oil all over the place around the diff. It is very hard to pin-point exactly where it is coming from but I suspect it is diff oil & it may have blown a seal.

My understanding is that there is a solenoid in the front diff that activates the locking etc. Could this have been fouled by the oil & is why I am getting the error? Or perhaps I am just low on diff oil?
Old 26-05-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

Most likely one of the ABS wheel sensors is faulty, I'm sure I've read other reasons for this fault, but each time I've had a WH in with that error it has been a faulty sensor.

The chaffing harness issue is generally in relation to the "service 4wd system" error and I don't think is related to your prob.

Front bearings, seals on the WH seem to be becoming more common place and whiny rear diff bearings also. Replacing diff bearings is definitely a "its a Jeep thing".

regards
Daz

P.S I'm sure if you search this forum there will be a wealth of info from some of the good people here.

Last edited by DarrenR; 26-05-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added info
Old 26-05-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Darren, I appreciate your advice. I am guessing if I can get hold of an ODBII scanner it should throw a code for the ABS sensor? Looks like I can get them cheap from the US. Would that also cause the "locking" of the front diff?

I did have one mechanic tell me it needed new diff bearings when it developed a front end rumble but when I took it to a specialty 4wd diff shop they told me the problem was the driveshaft input (can't remember the technical term) and fixed it for a couple of hundred bucks (no more rumble).
Old 27-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD Crusher View Post
Thanks Darren, I appreciate your advice. I am guessing if I can get hold of an ODBII scanner it should throw a code for the ABS sensor? Looks like I can get them cheap from the US. Would that also cause the "locking" of the front diff?

I did have one mechanic tell me it needed new diff bearings when it developed a front end rumble but when I took it to a specialty 4wd diff shop they told me the problem was the driveshaft input (can't remember the technical term) and fixed it for a couple of hundred bucks (no more rumble).
I'm sure I had some info about faulty abs wheel sensors causing traction control issues, someone needs to jog my memory. The ABS system codes wont show up on a generic code reader, this is not just a Jeep thing, Land-Rover products are the same, you need a "proper" (for the want of a better word) diagnostic tool, if someone can prove me wrong, please do so. The code will be C0xx or Uxxx, its something stupid like that, a non standard code, or "enhanced" code etc etc. My own "guess" is its the front R/H, *shrugs* (no there is no rhyme or reason for that one) keep in mind though a faulty wheel bearing/hub assembly can also bring up ABS codes.

Ahh front output shaft CV, there is another "Jeep thing" (mostly WJ, KJ), anyway, all of the above is fairly pointless as its not solving your issue. You can just replace a front (or both) ABS sensors, drive it and see, if all is ok, the system will clear the code. BUT ohhhhhh I sooooo hate guess work!! I have a saying I like to use "TEST WORK, NOT GUESS WORK" find someone with a starscan or go for a trip to the dealer (rolls eyes), find out the fault/code, then do the work yourself or use your fav repairer!

regards
Daz
Old 28-05-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Daz.

I took your advice & got the thing scanned. Turns out it is my Steering Angle Sensor which is stuffed. This is therefore telling the computer that it has no idea where the steering wheel is which leads the computer to try to lock the front diff to regain control. Apparently Jeep did a recall because of it but as I am the 3rd owner of my car they don't want a bar of replacing it for me. They also want $1,900 for the replacement "Steering Wheel Control Unit" (sensor is part of this & not available as a stand-alone unit) but I told them to get stuffed. Found one from the US for $494.50 + $43.00 shipping which is the updated version that "apparently" shouldn't fail.

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/05143320af.html

I love my Jeep but hate the amount of money I seem to need to keep throwing at it just to keep it running :P
Old 29-05-2013
CrawlerStar

I've not had that fault on a WH but did read a Chrysler thing on it some time ago, that price looks good to me. Unless its classed as a safety recall I believe once out of warranty you are on your own (I assume you are out of warranty?).

Yes in hindsight Chrysler are a great one for fixing original designed components with a "new and improved, wont fail part".

Once again another fine example of consistent excessive pricing structures by Jeep dealers in Australia and or Chrysler Australia which clearly is at odds to Chrysler U.S. Its unfortunate that sort of blatant theft gives the Jeep brand a bad name.

regards
Daz
Post New Thread  Reply