Petrol vs Diesel, Auto or Manual! Why can't I find what I want.. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-11-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Petrol vs Diesel, Auto or Manual! Why can't I find what I want..

Hey Guys,

I'm sure there are a few different threads about this, I'm just throwing another one out there

For ages now I've been looking into getting a Jeep, just waiting for that right one to come along.. but it never seems to appear.

Always wrong fuel type or automatic..

Basically, I've been looking/wanting a manual diesel Jeep, which I can see they stopped making in 2012 & it seems to be quite a huge price difference in those 2012 models ($25k-50k)

The higher priced ones obviously have more mods completed on them, but they also have the least KM on the engine.

Guess what I'm trying to ask is it really worth all this extra stress of waiting, searching and not having a jeep.. just to try and find a manual diesel with lowish KM?

Should I just bite the bullet and get an auto? Does it have any difference when it comes to off-road?

Unsure why I'm so against getting the petrol, I think its because of the fuel economy on them it feels like I should just get a patrol or something instead.

If the newer model was out already, which is supposed to have the 3L diesel and maybe a manual version, I'd be 100% up for buying that, but doesn't seem like that will be for another year.. and I just don't think I can wait!

But if you had $40-60k, what would you do?
Old 21-11-2017
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts

I would wait or go the patrol. A lot of people opt for diesel because of fuel economy but to make that stack you need to do the km so there's not likely going to be too many low km ones about. If you go the Patrol you will use more fuel than a petrol JK and diesel is not really cheaper anymore, the 3l patrol's we used at work averaged about 16l per 100 km carrying about 500kg. My petrol JK gets 14.5 per 100 carrying about 300kg and towing 1200kg.

I don't think there is a huge difference offroad, it's just personal preference. Both the auto and diesel came under cooled so that would be a modification priority unless you like monitoring temps like a hawk and resting the vehicle often when offroad (they have this issue with a few patrol models too).

Last edited by OzRick25; 21-11-2017 at 04:30 AM.
Old 21-11-2017
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

You also have to look at servicing costs. Diesel is a lot more expensive in the long run to service so that needs to be taken into account.

I bought a petrol because I'm not that keen on the 2.8 diesel and was turned off by what a Jeep mechanic had to say about them. I don't believe they are a good motor at all. There are owners that swear by them but it's not for me.

Once the 3.0 diesel is available in the JL however, I'll be definitely picking one up.

As for petrol economy, there really isn't any but that's not what I bought a Jeep for. Having said that, a Patrol makes the Jeep look like they sip fuel like a Prius.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 21-11-2017
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheers guys!

I'm thinking that maybe I'll go a manual petrol thats already kitted out and sell that when the JL comes out and upgraded into it.

Gets me familiar with Jeeps then!

Anything I should watch out for on the 3.6L?
Old 21-11-2017
AJOR Bronze

Some early 2012 3.6 motors had issues with their heads but that got sorted pretty quickly.

All 3.6 motors would have enough kms on them by now so they are either not going to have the issue or it's been repaired.

Besides that, there hasn't been any other issues reported and seems a reliable engine.

The older 3.8 is pretty bulletproof but loves a drink and down on power compared to the 3.6. It's good for in the scrub or the beach but its a slug when towing.

Old 21-11-2017
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah cool, everyone I speak to who has never owned a jeep or even known someone thats owned a jeep keeps saying "But aren't they unreliable and constantly causing problems?"

I can't seem to find too many issues online compared to other cars out there (every car can cause you issues!)

The jeep I'm looking at is a late 2012 (oct) 3.6i 77000km on the clock

All mods you could think of needing and more - $30k
Old 21-11-2017
AJOR Bronze

I've owned 2 Wranglers now. The first one had 203000kms when I sold it. Apart from replacing a radiator and wheel bearings it never had an issue.

The current one has 62000kms on it has been all over NSW and Victoria towing a camper trailer without an issue either.

A late 2012 model with that many kms will be fine. Like any vehicle if its servicing has been kept up it will look after you.

Post New Thread  Reply