Stage 1 tune and intercooler upgrade only advice - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 259 Times in 142 Posts
Default Stage 1 tune and intercooler upgrade only advice

Hi All,

Now I’ve read just about every post and I wanted to ask if I committed to a Murchins tune $1125 and just buy their intercooler or any aftermarket cooler made for the Wk2. So basic tune and egr delete with a intercooler install. Was not really interested in exhaust and PDF delete etc They don’t do Dyno and I found out Geebung ultimate diesel will not touch the quadralift here on dyno either and can understand why as it drops down once hitting speed.

Towing is what I want it for and a bit of fun. So has anybody done the intercooler upgrade as the claims online suggest a big improvement here and are way cooler running etc. I really understand the basic tune part but anyone with experience on the intercooler before I call in on them. Happy to DIY it as well.

Or do folk just upgrade the intercooler only for an improvement here.

Last edited by Mousie; 11-07-2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old 19-07-2021
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Not many modders here by the looks of it... I've been thinking about what to do with mine now at 7 years old. Options are either swapping it for something new or doing some mods and keeping it a bit longer. Its been running the GDE tune for a while now.
Good point about the quadralift/dyno compatibility. I hadn't considered concerns about tying it down. Is Sport Mode a reliable-enough solution for this?
Old 19-07-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,975 Times in 2,347 Posts

Does it really need a bigger/better intercooler though ???

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 19-07-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 303 Times in 189 Posts

I can't comment on the murchison tune but I have had their big intercooler for 5.5yrs now. I believe their ones now are a little smaller due to fitment issues but I got mine in. Link below leads to a thread I have posted picture previously. I have reversed intercooler pipes and a cold air intake also with a custom tune.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=155974

Larger intercooler is going to help with lower intake temps over longer periods due to less heat soak. More boost pressure, means more heat in the charge air if getting it tuned/remapped. If you tow heaps, especially in hot climates, a larger intercooler is a no brainer. Bit of work, but took maybe 3 or 4 hours to do with intercooler pipes and CAI. Kind of pointless upgrading intercooler only though.

I don't really understand how a dyno place won't dyno quadralifts. Sport mode or I'm pretty sure you can put it in wheel alignment mode, which is aero mode anyway but the tuner I used never had a issue. Their issue was learning that the ignition won't stay on long enough to download the factory file so it is an ecu out and pin job.

Heaps of modders on this site also
Old 20-07-2021
CrawlerStar

Thanks Folks, I've moved on from the idea as not many have done this and full credit to those who did. I've just turned 80Klms and will be towing a lot. I did find a lot of advice on the Ram forums and other members here and agree, sport mode on the suspension is a no brainer so the Geebung Store must have their reasons. We are turning the corner of 2022 so might just actually drive it given all the bugs are out of it anyway and enjoy.

Last edited by Mousie; 25-08-2021 at 05:29 PM.
Old 25-08-2021
CrawlerStar

Hi Folks, dropped the ECU off to Murchison's and back same day $1100. There is only one Tune and web reference to Stage 2 is simply Tune plus hardware. The engine is willing from idle onwards now with the lag significantly reduced as the turbo is at ready to spool given EGR is now off at idle. I'd question why you would need an iDrive as well came to mind. My initial thoughts are simply more linear power on and the 0-100 puts a smile on. I can see why people can be disappointed as they will expect major change for their dollars but this engine is already up their in performance. What I noticed in the 0-100 is the jeep is changing up the many gears quickly as we all know well and the bonnet lift is noticeably higher in the air from the additional torque as Quadralift owners will know what I mean. Also you actually know the additional torque is certainly on the boil in the higher loaded gears so will be a hoot to overtake. On a long highway drive today, I found my foot noticeably off the throttle and slightly more sensitive. So I can see a small economy gain perhaps but I don't really care about that aspect. In summary, it just makes this a sweeter engine. My mate has the same MY Jeep and he could notice the punchier claim. For me the decision was made when I pulled the MAP out and covered in oil muck (totally) so I did the Tune to turn the EGR off foremost as car will be long term. Then against all my past critical comments on waste of time catch cans, in went a Flashlube catch can following Drover's pic and advice on hardware.

Murchison's Intercoolers are now version 2 with slightly less in size for fitting and also bonus efficiency claim (I can understand this as two big can defeat purpose). But unlike the web claim, its a 2 month wait so you could imagine the disappointment walking away with just a Tune. If I find an IC suitable will bolt one in as after looking further, I'm going to pull the ECB bullbar off and remove that polystyrene left over and move the horns out of the airflow as the bullbar certainly does not help airflow unfortunately.

So I've looked at every graph online, all comments etc, and after getting it done, I wish I had done it asap for the primary EGR turn off and I also learnt that it does not really change the new drive experience if you just up 100nm or 120nm plus dynoed or not as the overall experience will be just as good. I left the EGR pipe in place and just removed the metal gasket EGR side and replace with a handmade galvanised Gutter downpipe (new of course) tin fabricated for the job, sealant on inlet side of handmade gasket as don't want a pressure leak. Hope this helps anybody out.

Last edited by Mousie; 25-08-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 25-08-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,975 Times in 2,347 Posts

I would love it mainly for the EGR delete for sure but beyond my wallet, so now you have no soot and a lot less oily air, the insides should look bloody lovely, I have a suspicion my Intercooler has a small black pond in the bottom of it, hoses after intercooler are dampish, wish they had a drain tap............... I would have thought the EGR delete would stop the valve opening so no need for a blanking plate but one never knows, check it after 50K to make sure nothing has eaten that gal tin away.

I will eventually get an I Drive as the delay when I want to launch NOW, drives me mad but if I can toe a bit of throttle or roll I take off like a scalded cat, no dramas at all once I'm over 4kph, the so called turbo lag is really the ECU doing the maths so it doesn't cause pollution, no thought of the B Double about to squash you as you sit in no mans land..........
looks the goods for sure........

PS: I can be sitting behind some dodderer doing 70kph get a chance and launch, 130kph when I'm alongside them, plenty of G's so not a sound from co-pilot, I don't need anymore fast.... but a Hemi would be nice for the sound effects.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 25-08-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply