Should I join the Jeep Cherokee XJ brotherhood? - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-11-2003
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I went and test drove a XJ 96 Limited today and I had a few questions...

1) When we tried to place the transmission from N to 4WD PERM, it would crunch, even though we were moving slowly. Does this indicate a problem, or should you be moving faster than 5km/h?

2) We actually got stuck on a flat where we couldn't move the trans back into 4WD PERM or 2WD or even 4WD LOW (we were stuck in N), so we had to put the man Auto Trans into N instead of D, and then we could freely move the other trans. Is it okay to move the LOW/HIGH trans if you are not moving, but are in neutral?

3) It had central-locking, but not keyless entry pod. According to Redbook, all the Limited should have remote entry. Could this be true that some didn't, or is it more likely they have just lost the pod along the way somewhere? How much would it cost to replace this?

4) Would it be expensive to put an alarm system in a Jeep? Any recommended brands/types?

The car has only 95,000km, which is quite low for a 1996.

They are asking $18000 for this car, and didn't want to budge much off that price (maybe up to $500, no more). Is it worth paying that much, which includes a comprehensive AWRG 12 month warranty, off a dealer?

Thanks for your help.

4WDMan

P.S. I love the feel of these vehicles... I am sold on XJ's now. I also drove a 06/95 Sports for comparison from another dealership.
Old 29-11-2003
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have a look for a small black dome [20mm dia] on the roof just behind the R/V mirror this is the receiver for the remote locking if its there then they have either lost or destroyed the sender unit trying to replace the battery Have heard various prices for replacements $400 seems a popular price
Does it have its log books/service history with those Klm the serviceing should have been done on a month basis not Klm
check underneath especially the cross member as wrench says its the lowest point and cops a bashing also along the sills they seem to give easaly more so than the diff housing
you said that it would be covered by a "comprehensive warrenty" is this for the whole car or what is normal is only the power train[Engine,gearbox,trany&diffs] Buyer Beware read the fine print A m8 of mine got caught with a warrenty on hols stoped for fuel water comming out from water pump had it replaced by mechanic at service cent only to find he was not covered because it didn't breakdown at the side of the road he was in alice springs at the time
$18000 seems to be top dollar for that year so it would want to be A1 you said it was from a dealer is that a jeep or second hand dealer jeep dealers should have the better class of vehicle
Auto needs to be in neuteral to engage 4wd low 4wd high you should be able to engage on the move 60k as long as none of the driving wheels are slipping Hope this helps and Good luck shopping
check your pm
Old 30-11-2003
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Like mentioned above, you must have the auto in neutral while rolling to change the transfercase. Do it nice and quickly too. You wont damage it moving it while standing still but it might not engage until you start moving again. It will be hard to get out of either part time 4x4 mode if you have gone around more corners one way than the other. Jumping off and on the throttle or turning hard left or right can free it.
All XJ's come with a full central locking remote and insist on getting it.
That price is hign for Victoria but maybe not up there as a friend just bought a '98 with the same mileage for that!

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 21-02-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this thread is just what I was chasing

I also was sent over here from overlander

signed a contract today for a late 97 Turbo diesel, (it won't be replacing my 88 troopy just yet though) all the bells and whistles. My mechanic will check it on Monday before we hand over the chq.

The Wife absolutely loved it.

Is there anything special/unique to the TD that I should be looking at.

There seemed to be a fair bit of induction noise (but not a hint of a whistle) from the turbo, is this normal?

We hit a section of poor bitumen while doing 100 and the truck got the bounces in a big way, I put this down to shockies (which will be changed) but is there something special in this area that I should check. (it stayed straight and came back to ground when I slowed a bit.)

Anyways any and all help will be appreciated. I've admired Jeeps from a distance for some time, and look forward to enjoying 'the fraternity' as much as the rest of you.

Chopper

(not the one from NZ who has never posted)

97 TDi XJ

95 XJ
Old 22-02-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Search this section for info on TD's...plenty here. Get yr mechanic to check the exhaust gas recirculation valve assembly (attached to the intake manifold) to make sure its not loose and needing new gaskets. Also check the aircon compressor - reach in and grab the bit that spins and check the bearings' not caput. Should have no play in it at all. Check the bracket on top of the motor that holds the tubes going across the top - they tend to snap (the bracket not the tube) due to vibration. These tubes shoulld have been replaced by Jeep - recall issue. Should have the flexible and not the plastic.
The rear suspension on all Xjs should be replaced just on principle !!!
Good luck - and welcome to the Jeep community
Ian