JK Wrangler Hot Rear Diff - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-06-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Guess this is why some modern vehicles run alloy diff covers with inbuilt cooling fins?

Sent from a tiny keyboard with fat fingers, apologies for my spelling. .

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 13-06-2014
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I was putting a auto box temp gauge in my Premier last weekend, and they were talking in the paperwork about using the gauge and sender in diffs also. Not a bad idea.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 03-07-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Guess this is why some modern vehicles run alloy diff covers with inbuilt cooling fins?

Sent from a tiny keyboard with fat fingers, apologies for my spelling. .
This is what I use on mine...

Multiple benefits, firstly no rubber bung, uses a screw in bung. Secondly has a drain plug for easier servicing.
Thirdly being alloy will have a better heat dissipation rate then the steel stock unit.
Lastly, looks cool...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 03-07-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 119 Times in 68 Posts

If you can put your hand on it for a second its probably 70 to 80 degrees. About 60 is where you can leave your hand on it for a while. If you touch it and your body pulls away and goes beyond uncomfortable to pain its probably 90 plus.

Everyone's pain threshold is different so drop ten degrees of if your a nancy boy but should get you in the ballpark. Judging by your op sounds normal. And yes the paint will craze and flake over time.
Old 14-03-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Hot Rear Diff

I did some monitoring of my rear diff temperatures over the summer months and the hottest it got was 91 degrees on a 34 degree day flogging up and down hills on the way from Gundagai to Yass doing 110 km/h on cruise control. I stopped to take the temperature at the top of a particularly steep hill. Given that Jeep advises that the normal maximum is 95 degrees, I am now happy that the peeling paint on my rear diff wasn't caused by overheating, so I am now going to retire the infra-red thermometer. Thanks to all those who provided their input.
Post New Thread  Reply