Discussion: Ultimate buggy - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-03-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default ,

overkill chassis start at $4000 and you can go either basic design or change what he has to make your own look, with the rear engine you try to mount it as far forward as possible so the weight is equal on all 4 tyres, apparently antunacs only needs 50kj of lead in front tyres to make it all equal.

The other options are drive up backwards if you are worried

at ozrock 1st stage on sunday, the overkill Jekyl was the only rig to make it through the 1st set of gates (rear engine and about 104") and was up against front engines, rear engines, 4 wheel steer, and longer rigs, there are so many options,

Last edited by CRLiiN; 14-03-2006 at 02:13 PM. Reason: wrong price
Old 14-03-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default .

I can get you pro tools bender no worries if you want one, or you can just buy good quality formers for your bow and arrow bender same as Carlton has built his last 2 rigs from
Old 14-03-2006
Original Mexican Mafia

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn

Diffs: I don't know what rules say in this sport but I'm surprised nobody uses hydraulics, I mean has anyone operated a bobcat? those things are awsome, imagine a hydraulic motor mounted to each wheel, no axles, no uni's, no diffs, no drive shafts. and instead of a transmission and transfer case, just a hydraulic pump. You could have skid steer as well as normal steering. Of course all this would mean a fairly slow top speed but how fast do rock crawlers go? pretty slow from what i seen.

Last edited by MR EXTREME JEEP; 14-03-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 14-03-2006

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
They're good links to the tools Wooders.

That's a very different approeach Glenn. AMC 360 and hydraulic pump I don't know that I'm that cutting edge though. And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get away with it in WE Rock and XRCC. I think you're right about the 110" though. I've seen longer buggies and I think they might be a bit too long for tight courses.
He said mopar 360 NOT AMC

AFAIK the majority of US comps have dictated gear and shaft driven drive trains ruling out hydro and other tractor industrial machine systems

Give the Australian comps are mimicing the US one I would expect the similar rules but have not checked the local rules in detail

Engine wise why not a v6 with forced induction ? the shorter block length will mean closer to mid mount. one of the mid size jap v6 engines could end up pretty light and reasonable number if built right. Remember HP is not the only way to get those 40's spinning and a number of the top US rigs have used small capcity engines with well matched gearing to good effect
Old 14-03-2006
RealJeepsdon'thavedoors

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7
He said mopar 360 NOT AMC

AFAIK the majority of US comps have dictated gear and shaft driven drive trains ruling out hydro and other tractor industrial machine systems

Give the Australian comps are mimicing the US one I would expect the similar rules but have not checked the local rules in detail
yeah that figures, hydraulics would make it all look so easy it would be boring, pity
Old 14-03-2006
Not a very good stuntmam

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

Chassis. Pinch some design ideas off various buggies, then get someone to build it. You dont want your bird poop welds snapping mid comp.

Wheelbase? 112" or 116" - Slightly smaller wheelbase might give you an advantage.

Engine. V8 is almost a must - Get the smallest v8 you can find. 5L is too big IMO

What about front mount, rear mount or mid mount? A small block v8 might still fit mid mount. Mind you with a lot of the buggies there is only a 20cm difference between mid & rear mount.

Diffs. Have a look around, how many people are breaking diffs on buggies? Dont think you'll need to go the mogs/rockwells. Volvo portals?

Suspension. - Coil overs. K.I.S.S.

Control arms setup: That's really dependant on the chassis setup you go for.

T-Case - Beefy is good, but you've got to watch the weight.

17" wheels minimum, 37/38s. Keep it light.
Old 14-03-2006
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7
Remember HP is not the only way to get those 40's spinning and a number of the top US rigs have used small capcity engines with well matched gearing to good effect

Hmmmm rotary 13b and 300:1 gearing to compensate for the 13,000rpm redline
Post New Thread  Reply