Lighting - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Hot Topic of week
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-12-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Nice and easy JB, and to be honest its exactly the same as for any vehicle.

The wiring loom should connect to the high beam lead at the back of the headlight, via the switch, to the relay. The relay may have one or two earth connections, plus a fused battery lead. Then earth and power from the relay to the headlights.

Here's a diagram as a picture is worth a 1000 words as they say!

Thanks Dave - once I start this job I'm sure I will have some more "emergency" questions! One to start off with - how do I identify the high beam wire that I need to splice in to?

Thanks

JB

|¯¯l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO¬
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
Old 14-12-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Cant remember 100%, but I think that diagram is showing the correct wiring for the standard H4 headlight socket when viewed from the end the wires come out of.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 14-12-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Get a test light and put it on a wire. Wire should be live only when hi beams are on.
Old 15-12-2012
NE Division

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Here's something to stir up. LED light bars now have to have covers in the middle when used in QLD, not actively enforced for 12 months though.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...ving_lamps.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR Queensland
Under ADR 13/00 requirements, the minimum distance between two lights constituting a pair is 600mm,
measured from the inner edges of the illuminating surfaces. While this specific requirement does not apply to
driving lamps, it is strongly recommended that the LED light bars, when fitted as pairs, should be fitted in a way
that complies with the distance requirement as closely as practicable.

In cases where a single LED light bar is fitted in the centre as one continuous light unit, the requirement to fit
driving lamps in pairs could be easily met by fitting an opaque cover plate at the centre of the light bar to
simulate the appearance of two separate light units. The width of such opaque dividing cover should be
enough to distinguish the arrangement as two separate light units. For example, the ability of an observer
standing 200m in front of the vehicle to perceive the light bar as two separate light units can be used as an
approximate guide

Cal

CJ3A
It's a ROCK, get over it!!
Old 15-12-2012
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa View Post
Here's something to stir up. LED light bars now have to have covers in the middle when used in QLD, not actively enforced for 12 months though.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...ving_lamps.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR Queensland Under ADR 13/00 requirements, the minimum distance between two lights constituting a pair is 600mm, measured from the inner edges of the illuminating surfaces. While this specific requirement does not apply to driving lamps, it is strongly recommended that the LED light bars, when fitted as pairs, should be fitted in a way that complies with the distance requirement as closely as practicable.

In cases where a single LED light bar is fitted in the centre as one continuous light unit, the requirement to fit driving lamps in pairs could be easily met by fitting an opaque cover plate at the centre of the light bar to simulate the appearance of two separate light units. The width of such opaque dividing cover should be enough to distinguish the arrangement as two separate light units. For example, the ability of an observer standing 200m in front of the vehicle to perceive the light bar as two separate light units can be used as an approximate guide.

aahhhhhh .... the stupidity of deskbound govt regulaters ...

At 200m ... I dont care how many damn, overly bright, auxilliary driving lights are fitted ....

I just want the annoying things dipped ... so I'm only looking at the factory fitted lo-beam.

... and anybody standing 200m in front of my vehicle trying to count driving lights is likely to only have seconds to live ... if Ive figgered my 100kph time/distance ratios correctly ..
Old 15-12-2012
MonsterMoose

Check out my Ride(s)

And the point is you are not allowed to have high beam on with an oncoming vehicle anyway.. Some pen pushers really need to get out into the real world once in a while.

The good news though is they are not enforcing this rule and will be looking at the regulations over the next 12 months to see if they should be updated to keep up with technology.

However that said, it's a crock of sh!t anyway, which they even tell you in there own press release

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR Queensland
Under ADR 13/00 requirements, the minimum distance between two lights constituting a pair is 600mm, measured from the inner edges of the illuminating surfaces. While this specific requirement does not apply to driving lamps, it is strongly recommended that the LED light bars, when fitted as pairs, should be fitted in a way that complies with the distance requirement as closely as practicable.
I wonder how far a "strongly recommended" rule would carry in court when challenged with the actual ADR regulations?

Also love the way In QLD you can legally run 4 x 100w HID's across the roof WITH NO SEPERATION REQUIREMENT that would will fry the nits off a a roo at 1000 metres, but if someone can't tell if your light bar is one or two units at 200 metres you might get booked... Ask the same person how many 100w HID's are on the vehicle at 200 metres.. I bet they cant. You will then have to give them a lift somewhere as they would not be able to see for a few hours!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 15-12-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-04-2013
MonsterMoose

Check out my Ride(s)

OK, I replaced the globes in the spotties with 55w 5000k HID's and went down to the school carpark to line them up and see how they go, so took some pics for comparisons. Not overly impressed with the 5000k and have already ordered some 4300k versions. Still just that little to blue for me. Which is fine as a mate wants these now anyway.

I had the camera locked onto a fixed night setting so that no settings would change between shots.

Firstly, Stock Low Beam only:

Secondly, Stock High Beam only:

High Beam + 55w HID (1 x spread and 1 x spot beams - 6in XrayVision by Britax from TJM)

Hi Beam + LEDs - (6 x 2.5in square 15w ebay specials set up in 2 blocks of 3)

Hi Beam + LEDs + Spotties (the works)

And in reference to the discussion above regarding separation of the LED light bars, this is a shot from directly in front during the day to show all the lights, then at about 20 metres away in the dark, so you can see how easy it is to see all the separate lights...

Daytime:

Nighttime:

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 09-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply