who uses an ez-locker - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-01-2006
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default who uses an ez-locker

My birthday is coming up and an ez-locker is on the list for the front diff I found a hill at the local park I go wheeling that the jeep just won't climb soon as a front wheel lifts she spins and that is that so what brands and prices pros and cons has any one got or any other suggestions budget is the go also just bought the missus a new car so the jeep is now a weekender so on road manners isn't as critical
Old 18-01-2006
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

I have a lockright (same thing) in the front of my TJ - and it's been awesome.
I has a spare at one stage & was going to fit it to the front of the XJ, but whilst it's great offroad it would mean fulltime4wd would be out of the question onraod - and that's a feature I really like using...
That asside they are quiet smooth and bang for $ are hard to beat.
Old 18-01-2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders
... but whilst it's great offroad it would mean fulltime4wd would be out of the question onraod - and that's a feature I really like using...
Hey Wooders would you mind explaining that some more please.
If I had that locker (lockright ez-locker) in the front then I couldn't use "selectrack" AWD on the bitumen anymore.?

is that the same for the ausie locker as well, how about the detroit.?

I can appreciate that the air driven ones would be ok because you can "turn them off/on".
Old 18-01-2006
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ive been advised by my mechanic that you may risk snapping front axles or cardinal joint with a true locker (airlocker) up front on the d30....am keen to find out more too on other options! Ive also been advised that the money on the front for an extra 20-30% traction (not sure if this is right, cos doesnt sound too bad?) may not neccesarily be cost effective taking into the consideration the potential risks. Most drive and traction is from rear wheels and recomend locker for rear first (shits over trac loc).

After saying that, i know of two people with detriot tru trac in front (GoJeep and DaveXJ) and have had no probs. (im sure they may add more useful comments on their experience)

i will be fitting a detroit tru-trac in rear soonish.
Old 18-01-2006
Not a very good stuntmam

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

I've gotta say that's the first time I've heard that. 20-30% more traction in any situation is a good thing.

I would pretty much say the reverse. More traction up front means less need to rely on momentum to get over an obstacle. Less momentum means less chance of breakages, or even a rollover.
Old 18-01-2006
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agree with jeff - when i added an air locker in the rear it was an imporvement, but once i added the ezlocker in the front the difference in traction was huge
Old 18-01-2006
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ

if breakages are a faily high risk what is needed to be done to axels to fix this ??

and a what sort of cost ??

as i would like to put a locker in the TD XJ and was thinking up front first for the same
reasons as jeff wrote about
Post New Thread  Reply