Installing heavy duty roof tracks and platform - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-05-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

To be honest, I was just going to use metal epoxy and glue up the ends of some of the 100's of normal rivnuts I have, then put Loctite 243 medium on the bolts. That should be 'IP67' waterproof. I'm more concerned that the rivnuts I have will not work in 5-6 layers of steel sheet! Might have to get some 'long' ones.

Pretty sure a M5 countersunk head bolt is going to have more surface area than a pop rivet head? 10mm outer, 5mm inner diameter, making a ring 2.5mm wide, =58mm2 contact area, and thats not even allowing for the 90Deg angle, which would make it even more. But ah! The material is really thin meaning the inside diameter of the ring will be larger....hmmm.

A 5mm rivet has a head diameter of 9.5mm, creating a surface area of 51.25mm2. Not much in it really...I had 3.2mm rivets in my head. When I went back and read they were 4.8mm rivets, the numbers changed.

But my biggest worry is that to completely flush mount a M5 countersunk, I need 2.8mm of material, including the compressed adhesive tape. So if there's enough clearance for a pop rivet head, I might have to countersink some washers to get me enough clearance so I don't run out of bolt thread to the top of the rivnut before it tightens the track down properly?

Hmmm, maybe rivets are they way to go...thinking a bit different now I know they are 5mm steel rivets

Last edited by Wiz.au; 24-05-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 28-05-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)
Post Roof tracks on a KK.

Going back to the rivnut idea now...

Found the Front Runner track install instructions....Rivnuts and countersink bolts, plus they reuse the factory bolts too. The 'trick' is they cut out a bit of the track at the front to install the captive nuts into the track, rather than sliding them in from the ends. Part No. 'TRJC002'. So far I've only found one place in France at €113. But not out of the ball park for a full kit with everything supplied, including all seals, bolts and rivnuts.
FrontRunner Roof track Installation Instructions

But now Im a bit bummed that I wont be able to get a rack all the way to the back because of the radio antenna placement. That will make loading from the back step just that much harder for me. Might even consider removing that antenna and putting a long range flexible whip on. My buddy had to do that on his Hilux as the roofrack kept shorting on the factory antenna or completely blocking any signal.

Last edited by Wiz.au; 28-05-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 28-05-2018
AJOR Silver

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

Yes the antenna is a negative but can be worked around like you suggested. The Frontrunner instructions look good, just note that aging KK’s are known to leak water into the roof from this rail area so applying a quality automotive adhesive sealer along the full length of the track will resolve that issue too. There’s also bit of talk about this issue on LOST, worked for me.
Old 30-05-2018
Established Member

Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz.au View Post
Going back to the rivnut idea now...

Found the Front Runner track install instructions....Rivnuts and countersink bolts, plus they reuse the factory bolts too. The 'trick' is they cut out a bit of the track at the front to install the captive nuts into the track, rather than sliding them in from the ends. Part No. 'TRJC002'. So far I've only found one place in France at €113. But not out of the ball park for a full kit with everything supplied, including all seals, bolts and rivnuts.
FrontRunner Roof track Installation Instructions

But now Im a bit bummed that I wont be able to get a rack all the way to the back because of the radio antenna placement. That will make loading from the back step just that much harder for me. Might even consider removing that antenna and putting a long range flexible whip on. My buddy had to do that on his Hilux as the roofrack kept shorting on the factory antenna or completely blocking any signal.
ive got the frontrunner rack and very happy with it. no issues at all

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 30-05-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Did you get the track rails fitted at the same time? The actual tray is a bit expensive for me. If you dont mind me asking, did you get much change out of $1500? Ive seen over $1100 quoted for the track kit with a flat tray, plus installation.
Old 30-05-2018
Established Member

Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz.au View Post
Did you get the track rails fitted at the same time? The actual tray is a bit expensive for me. If you dont mind me asking, did you get much change out of $1500? Ive seen over $1100 quoted for the track kit with a flat tray, plus installation.
yes got track and tray. around 1100 is about right. it really is a nice rack.

found the link from were i bought it

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...imline-ii.html

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 30-05-2018
AJOR Silver

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

I’m not sure if the dimensions were changed but the front runner tracks were too wide in the roof gutters for my liking.

The pioneer rack appears to have a lower profile look for $900 all up.