XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 37 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2010
Symphony Composer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes to all of the above. This is before the conversion though..

XJ V8 Build
Electric water pump
Old 03-11-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

understood....with ambient temps around 40 i would expect this and therefore presents the prob for us in Oz (especially in WA). 10-20 degrees over max is exactly why we want to cool it down a bit more here (not that i expect your temps to hurt much - lottsa folks run fine here at that). 20-25 degrees less is what im shooting for with my mod (in 40 degree weather). id like mine to sit on 65-70 towing our 2KG camper trailer (im probably wishing). i expect it to be around 80 (ave)
Old 10-11-2010
AJOR Gold

the new temp gauge just arrived from Summit. got it mounted to the a-pillar but need to wire it up and plumb in the manifold to the cooler lines...im hoping to see some figures next week
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020849.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	43739   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020855.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	43740  
Old 12-11-2010
AJOR Gold

ok....got the gauge wired up and went for an initial 20km drive in traffic at speeds between 40 and 90kph on relatively flat ground. with everything fully warmed up and ambient temps around 22 i got readings between 140 degrees F and 180. between 50 and 80kph the temps generally stayed between 145 and 155. faster speeds produced bigger drops - seems to be roughly 10 degrees drop for every 10kph increase throughout the 40 degree operating range. under 50kph it was reading 160-170 generally but quickly reduced as speeds increased. it hit 180 twice but only very briefly after hot soaking for a minute at the traffic lights but came back down to less than 160 once i took off. the auto meter gauge is very sensitive and im quite happy with the whole setup as it appears the custom cooler is doing its job and is getting sufficient airflow. of course i will have to do some more testing as ambient temps increase and the wrig gets pushed harder offroad. i have a feeling an electric fan is going to be a big help offroad at lower speeds (especially in the sand on a hot day). the average overall temp reading was generally about 150-155 so seems to be a winner so far heres a pic of the manifold installation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020864.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	43803  
Old 12-11-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Looks good Rodge. Love the inline manifold that you used.
Mine has around those temps until I am in Low range and giving it some curry on a hill climb. Temp goes through the roof.
Need to get that after market Oil Cooler( Been on the cards for sometime now).
Old 12-11-2010
AJOR Gold

yeah, im thinking long hill climbs are gonna kill the gains but im hoping an electric fan will keep the temps in check (if needed). but at least i know i can tow the camper trailer to get where i want with the custom cooler install and that was the main goal. this car wont do any hardcore stuff offroad (thats what the TJ is for). i just wanna get from point A to point B without blowing the tranny on these 35s. updates to come
Old 16-11-2010
AJOR Gold

did another 20Km test run in warmer temps (ambient @ 30 degrees C). pretty much the same outcome although the last 3 km of the run saw temps between 185 & 200*F @ speeds under 50kph. so from this i think its safe to assume on a hot day off road i will need an electric fan. will start looking into this. will also be testing temps in 3rd gear as opposed to OD (under 80kph) to see what differences there may be and also will do a little towing exercise with our 2000kg trailer. updates to come