XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 38 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-11-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used the biggest PWR alloy cooler you can buy off the shelf layed on its side (input at the top) in front of the stock electric fan, at first i was a little worried about reducing flow to the radiator but i don't have an aircon condenser in the way as well so it works great.
I've used an autometer tranny temp gauge with the sensor currently in the return line (bung will be welded into the pan next service) and i never see temps over 160F anymore. As soon as temps start to rise once I've left the blacktop i flick the thermo fan bypass and it completely stabilizes the temp, doesn't go higher no matter the hell i give it. I'm pushing 33's on stock gearing and all tests so far have been done during the day in temps around and over 30c both crawling and giving it hell through some fast sweeping sections. Last time i went out the xj was locked in low range for an hour or so just crawling and temps didn't rise at all.
For road duties and touring i run a set of 235/75/15s and on average the temp usually sits around 150F, rising to 160/170F when stopped for long periods in traffic but it drops as soon as i either flick the thermo on or get the green light and get some airflow through it.
More then happy with my setup, it works a lot better then i originally expected. I didn't think the stock fan would stabilize the temp like it does.
Old 16-11-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

think i found what i need: SPAL 5.6" electric motorcycle fan (puller). 3amp draw w/300cfm. can fit two or three of these as needed (plenty of room). will try one to start with.
Old 16-11-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hey James,
Do you have any pics and how much and what model number did you end up with.
I have been keen on the PWR cooler for sometime now but never gone the next step.
Old 16-11-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The biggest problem is airflow when crawling, definitely add a fan or two and the setup will work much better. I think that setup would be sweet Rodge with two or three of those fans on it, only thing ull have to think about is pulling air through only a section of the cooler with such a small fan i think ull need more then one.

Ill try and get a couple of pics this afternoon but its hard to see with the grill and spot lights in the way. I also kept the stock auto cooler, flushed it out and am using it on the other side of the rad for a power steering cooler.
Repco retail price is $139 according to my receipt and its part number PWO5389. It's 280X255X19mm in size with 3/8th fittings.

Another thing i should mention is the stock heat exchanger in the radiator is completely bypassed in my setup.
Old 16-11-2010
Symphony Composer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These might do the job

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPAL-...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPAL-...Q5fAccessories

XJ V8 Build
Electric water pump
Old 16-11-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

XJames
Quote:
The biggest problem is airflow when crawling, definitely add a fan or two and the setup will work much better. I think that setup would be sweet Rodge with two or three of those fans on it, only thing ull have to think about is pulling air through only a section of the cooler with such a small fan i think ull need more then one.
i completely agree and after a rethink i have decided to buy two for starters. there is room for a third later if necessary after testing

Nakkas i think that puller is the one to go for. two of those (and maybe add a third if required)

my setup needs pullers as i really dont want to rip out the mesh and ducting again - it was a painful job and these will look tidy hidden behind the crossmember support (there is heaps of room back there plus its well protected). will run a manual switch and relay so i have complete control to prevent overcooling as temps are well within specs on road most of the time.

was thinking the bigger 5.6" unit as mentioned earlier as i wanted the biggest units that would fit and there is only 6" to play with. but ive just measured the hole openings in the crossframe and these 4" units would be perfectly matched. plus they are dirt cheap (roughly $100 AUD shipped for 2)! good find Nakkas! i saw these earlier today but discounted them until i double checked the measurements. will be my next addition! im off to ebay!
Old 16-11-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks James for your help. Good to get some positive feedback. Will check out Repco and get the project started.
Do you still run the viscous fan or do you have twin thermo fans and has the engine temp now raised somewhat.
Post New Thread  Reply