XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 39 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-11-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgebone View Post
cheap insurance LMAO! so far mine has cost me over $500 (albeit totally custom). i can almost bet fans are coming my way bringing that total up a bit. but will wait and see the results first

Get a thermo fan off a motorbike from a motorcycle wreckers

I like your coupling device just not how the sensor (and loom) stick down like that, are you going to add a protective shield over it?
Old 16-11-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisXJ View Post
Thanks James for your help. Good to get some positive feedback. Will check out Repco and get the project started.
Do you still run the viscous fan or do you have twin thermo fans and has the engine temp now raised somewhat.
Still running the stock viscous fan, as far as i know it hasn't been changed since new either so that's the next thing to upgrade. Engine temps never go over 100 on my factory gauge or 210 on the autometer gauge which is plumbed into the upper rad hose.

Full Specs on my cooling system for those interested:
Stock viscous/ thermo fan setup
Adrad brass copper radiator
Omix ada water pump from wooders
195 thermostat in stock housing
Basic repco coolant that you mix yourself, comes in 5L bottle
PWR auto cooler part no. PWO5389 biggest one you can buy, measures 280x255x19mm
Auto cooler mounted in front of stock thermo fan which has a bypass switch for when i hit the dirt
Heat exchanger in radiator completely bypassed
Stock auto cooler is now a power steering cooler mounted in front of the vicious fan
Penrite auto trans fluid semi synthetic something in both the tranny and power steering
Water temp sensor in top rad hose and auto temp in cooler return hose
I also removed the aircon condenser, i get hot inside the car but it helps the auto, engine and steering stay cool.

With this setup I've only seen the engine temp rise to 230F once which equates to around 110C and that was driving pretty hard in low range on a 35C day.
I've seen tranny temps as high as 190F once but that was before i had the bypass switch sorted driving up Mt Archer in Rockhampton which is around 5kms to the top and fairly steep in sections. Now that the fan is bypassed i turn it on once the tranny hits 160F on the gauge and it completely stabilizes temps no matter how hard i drive it.
After i blew the seals out of the steering pump and box and ruined the internals of both from the oil getting too hot i put the stock auto cooler in front of the viscous fan and have never had another problem. Thanks goes to Fil on here for the pump and box and recommending a cooler on the return line.
Only other thing i can think to mention is that i have 31x10.5 Simex Centipedes which really measure out to just a fraction under 33x11 for offroad duties and 235/75/15's for road and touring duties. All temps listed are quite a bit lower when running the road tyres both on and offroad.
Old 17-11-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

That is good info James.Thanks mate.
Old 17-11-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

ditto James - very good info. the more we have the better!

tazwegion

Quote:
I like your coupling device just not how the sensor (and loom) stick down like that, are you going to add a protective shield over it?
i was concerned about this as well but after mounting it i decided to run it as is (and btw the sensor MUST be on the bottom). there really isnt a better place to position it after i looked at all the possibilities and the photo looks worse than it really is. its actually tucked up next to the block pretty good and away from the pitman and trackbar. if it does get broken ill buy another and do a shield. the sensor is pretty cheap and i doubt the manifold itself would get any damage.
Old 17-11-2010
AJOR Gold

more figures from yet another test drive in 34 degree temps. did a 14km run with an extended hot soak at the shops and in traffic at speeds less than 70. average temp was about 175 and hit nearly 200 at the lights. the warmer weather is failing me so cant wait for the new electrics fans to show up!
Old 17-11-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Drove mine to Repco to get the PWR Cooler and on the way the temp was stable at a hot 105'c. Hope that the new cooler will fix the prob.
Old 24-11-2010
AJOR Gold

did a lengthy drive in rush hour traffic today (ambient @ 28*C). crept along for over 30 minutes at under 30kph and saw temps fluctuate between 190 and 220*F! cant wait for those fans to show up!