Fluid flow control valve inside power steering pump? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Fluid flow control valve inside power steering pump?

Hallo i found this power steering pump video on youtube which is very similar to my pump situation,This video is for jk wrangler hemi engine ,the owner of this car had changed the fluid flow control valve , Is one of you suffered from this case I will try to change this flow control valve , Is there a particular direction to install because there are holes in the valve ,thanks for help.
Old 10-07-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How to change the flow control vlave
Old 12-07-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

had any one change the flow control valve on the pump
Old 12-07-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

What is the problem, the fluid flow back to res looks normal, the fluid flow valve limits flow to limit twitching at high engine speed, basicly anything over 1000rpm is to much flow causing twitchy steering at speed.
Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 12-07-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The owner of this vedio was had a bad power steering effort,difficult to turn the steering wheel so he change the pressure relief valve and the solve the problem.Does the fluid movement inside the reservoir like this video its normally.I had the same fluid movement on my grand Cherokee overland 2004.
Old 17-07-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Yes this is normal flow, with steering centered ( that is no input in to steering wheel to turn) the fluid is pumped around the system and back to the tank, when you give steering input the pumped oil is sent to the piston, the oil on the other side of the piston returns to tank ( at a slower rate).
In this video the steering is at full lock, when the input is put into the steering wheel the oil is sent to the piston to move it, there is no movement so no return oil is, as there is no movement the oil rises in pressure and then goes over the relive valve internally in the pump housing, and so heating the oil and feeding the oil back to the inlet of the pump, giving hot inlet oil, if the pump stays in this situation the oil temp builds to damage is done to the pump and steering gear ass.
The power steer is no designed to be held on full lock for extended amounts of time.
An oil cooler on the return can make a big difference to pump life, but not holding on relief is the best practice to give long life.
If you have poor steering power assist go to a power steering shop, drive a mates vehicle that is same make and model with similar Tyre set up and compare, power steer only realy helps at low ground speed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 19-07-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks you man great explain
Post New Thread  Reply