Transgo Shift Kit and Sonnax Pressure Booster. - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-09-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hanna,

Torque management is a wire connection between the PCM and the TCM it is pin 13 on the gray PCM connecter a Yellow/Orange wire. If you look at the connector plug face on it is the second pin from the LEFT in the MIDDLE row. If you cut this wire you remove torque management. What I did was put a toggle switch in the break to put it in or take it out as I wish. MAKE sure if you do cut it you have enough slack in the loom to be able to reconnect it back up. And disconnect the battery before you even touch the plug.

For towing I dont know what impact it would have to remove the torque management, hence that is why I put a switch in.

The only difference between the HD2 kit and the SK kit is the resistor. Rather than hack the wiring to put the resistor in, the Sonnax was a better option because it is basically the resistor pre wired in a nice package. I went the SK kit but downloaded both HD2 & SK install docs to see if there was any difference in the springs etc before buying it just to make sure.

I would suggest that the picture you are looking at is just a generic marketing one. It is the valve body springs that are changed, the other items need you to pull out the tranny to access the oil pump and the first gear pack both are in either kits.

The kit does not modify the way tranny operates. If anything it improves and strengthens it. I dont think it would impact towing in anyway.
Old 15-09-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

From memory doesn't the Sonax add line pressure with a different technique than the transgo does, yes both resistors but the wiring they alter or was it resistor value? Can't recall. This is a well proven mod for the 545RFE discussed in much detail on US forums for years. Sonax/Transgo combos seems the go.
Old 15-09-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

Are there any negative aspects to these mods? If it's good for the transmission as claimed, makes you wonder why Jeep handicap them to operate in such a mushy fashion.
Old 27-09-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Performance chips with Sonnax line pressure booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mek67j View Post
Just on my point before Torque management and Line Pressure Boost are the two main components of the Superchip and Flashpac tuners. They both remove torque management and boost line pressure to give that performance feel. Difference is they cost upwards of $300 where as removing torque management is free and boosting line pressure can be done for as little as 10c.
mek67j and others in the know,

Just having a read thru your thread. I am also about to service my auto, have all the parts and oil waiting in the garage and I am considering the transgo shift kit at the same time.

This particular post was of interest to me as I am running a stage 2 Jet Performance chip. (03 WG V I am unable to find any info on how they actually work but I am now wondering if they are similar to the ones mentioned above. I'm thinking that fitting the sonnax pressure booster to a vehicle that already has the line pressure boosted would be not only pointless but could it cause problems aswell??????

Does anyone know how the Jet performance chip works? As its a stage 2 chip they recommend you use their performance thermostat (which I am) and exhaust mods, air filter upgrades and premium fuel, (yes, yes and mostly). With my limited knowledge I was guessing they were leaning out the fuel mixture to gain power at the cost of slightly higher running temps hense the need for the upgraded thermostat which has more control not just open or closed. 'New programming adjusts spark timing & the air/fuel ratio to tune the engine for maximum power when you need it' But your post has opened my eyes as to how the chip possibly works.

If the signal to the trans has already been modifed would it pass thru the sonnax unaltered or would it try and change it again???

Any thoughts anyone?
Old 27-09-2012
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Clay do not under any circumstance use a pressure booster like sonnax or a mod if you have the Superchip or any other performance booster. Your tranny will bang like crazy and cause damage to the clutch packs.

These superchips actually remove the torque management and also boost line pressure to the tranny so in essence you are doing what the mods do anyway.

Transgo actually say the same thing in their documentation with the shift kit ie install the springs etc to the valve body to stiffen and improve the shift but do not put in "their" line pressure mod if you are using a Chip.
Old 27-09-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mek67j View Post
Clay do not under any circumstance use a pressure booster like sonnax or a mod if you have the Superchip or any other performance booster. Your tranny will bang like crazy and cause damage to the clutch packs.

These superchips actually remove the torque management and also boost line pressure to the tranny so in essence you are doing what the mods do anyway.

Transgo actually say the same thing in their documentation with the shift kit ie install the springs etc to the valve body to stiffen and improve the shift but do not put in "their" line pressure mod if you are using a Chip.
Thanks for your reply.

So if I get the Transgo shift kit without the 'resistor' I should be fine??? Assuming the 'resistor' is the 'line pressure mod' you mentioned? Looking at the site link you provided it looks like the http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-000052930.htm @ $45.71 via the 'shift kits' link.

The other one with the resitsor http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-052930hd2.htm @ $68.81 is found via the 'High performance valve body kits' link for those who are also looking and are a bit confused like I was at first.

Thanks again.
Old 27-09-2012
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Sorry I further read your post in more detail. I had this discussion about two years ago with a friend who has a very large dyno tuning centre here in Sydney. He is heavily involved in the drag scene. His view was that you cannot increase horsepower of an engine past its rated power without modifying the engine itself. That makes sense. You can remove restrictions that decrease horsepower. Cars are manufactured and hard wired in their factory PCM for emission standards. Very few manufacturers allow anyone to change this mapping because it instantly effects emission and from everything I have read no one has been able to rewrite ECM mapping on Jeeps unless you send the ECM away to someone like B&G performancepcm.

Most people move to an aftermarket PCM like Haltech that allows you to with a dyno improve performance specifically at WOT up to the engines rated horsepower.

Remapping involves changing paramaters like fuel delivery, pump pressure, primary and secondary Injector pulse width cycles, ignition and timing.

The superchips work by tricking the PCM inputs specifically the throttle signal. (So you put your foot down lightly on the accelerator and it tells the PCM there is 25% more throttle than there actually is so you go WOW more power) And TCM inputs (like pressure boost, torque management and shift points).

Superchips tell you to do all the stuff a performance enthusiast would do anyway like non restrictive induction and exhaust. You start moving towards the engines rated horsepower by 2-5%. Increase the fuel octane and you increase burn efficiency 0.2% more petrol and less additives and you are burning purer fuel quickly and get more bang for bucks.

The only thing left out is a ported throttle body and once again about 1% and higher output fuel injectors and fuel pump about another 1%.

Before a dealer or anyone can write to a PCM you need the vehicle unique code. How does the Superchip get this ?

An
Post New Thread  Reply