Cultural differences in owning a wrangler - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-04-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

PS : Won't you bring some tube doors that will fit my TJ when you come over please ??? hahahahaha
Old 21-04-2016
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I own both a TJ and JK and have found them more reliable than the Toyot's that I've owned.

As Leigh mentioned the JK has a very good following here in Australia and they are selling very well though I believe it's starting to slow down now as the JK has been around for a while.

The trouble with the perception of Jeep reliability here in Aust comes from our major 4WD magazines who will quite happily advertise companies with Wranglers on their ads but will bag them every chance they get in their shows and mags because if you don't drive a Toyota or a Nissan then you aren't serious. This rubs off on people who take their word as gospel.

Also there as been a few TV programs that sensationalise the troubles that a few Jeeps owners who have had real issues. The biggest issue here is trying to deal with Fiat Chrysler Australia who aren't very helpful n this regard. This TV exposure also does Jeeps reputation here no help at all.

So buy one here and enjoy it. I love my 2 and couldn't imagine myself driving anything else.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders

Last edited by Nanook; 21-04-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 21-04-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Good to hear all the positive responses. It is a jeep forum!

I'm not being totally naive, jeeps aren't Toyota or Honda reliable but I have had a Range Rover and several German cars. Those are by no means cheap cars to own and run.

I don't plan on long distance excursions. Looking to move to Wodonga/Albury area and would like to explore locally.

Being American, I have a love affair with the defenders. Those are crazy expensive here. But I think I will grow to hate the crudeness. Jeeps are a little more polished plus you get the convertible aspect of the wrangler which I love. I currently have an M3 convertible and love open top driving.

Is it legal to drive on the street with the doors off?

Last edited by Jimmyb; 21-04-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 21-04-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Doors off seem to be a grey area but people do it. Based on what you said you will use the vehicle for the Wrangler will suit you just fine ...........
Old 21-04-2016
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Most of the forums about prices paid are a few years old. Do these sell for MSRP now they have been out for so long? Or can you negotiate a decent % off? Searching carsales.com.au for new listings. Would love to know if dealers negotiate or if demand is high enough they don't bother negotiating.
Old 21-04-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Jeep parts here are no more expensive than the jap brands, that said jap brands have better supply chains and most parts are made in countries closer to Aus ( thailand etc ) rather than all the chrysler jeep parts from the east coast of the US.

The reliability issues i think stem from people putting x mod onto their jeep and not looking after parts down the line, and then stuff breaks and every nissan toyota driver talks about it forever.

I got a jk because they are easy to work on, and for me a 2 door is perfect for the weekend stuff that i do, the big rigs are just that, huge.

Wranglers are just something a bit different here but they are growing in popularity quickly
Old 21-04-2016
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Definitely negotiate. You will get a better deal that way.

I'm not sure what the second hand market is like for JKs but I know when I bought mine it had been sitting in a Holden dealers (Chev) yard for a few months without much interest so they were keen to move it.

I got a couple of thousand off their price as they were really keen to get what I was trading in which they sold within 3 days of me trading it at a substantial mark up.

As for doors off. I've only heard of one person being stopped and fined however he successfully argued in court that the doors were not a protection device and was let go.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Post New Thread  Reply