Cultural differences in owning a wrangler - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-04-2016
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 307 Times in 169 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

My understanding is that Jeep has always been on the back foot when it comes to Australia.
It wasn't until the XJ came along that Jeep had a proper dealer network that could compete with more established brands.
The XJ was make or break for Jeep in Oz - despite being outrageously expensive it sold quite well.
We missed out on the YJ, so the first Wrangler to be imported in serious numbers was the TJ and in 1997, this too wasn't a cheap buy but also sold well.
Actually there are a few YJs in Oz (probably less than 20 in the whole country) I've only ever seen one.

When I was very young in the early 60's, sighting a 4wd on the road was a rare sight in the city.
I spent most of my youth growing up in the country where 4wds were less rare but any sightings were almost always Land Rovers - Jeep sightings were a rare experience.
later in the 60's saw the emerging dominance of the Japanese brands - especially Toyota.
Toyota were able to sell their relatively cheap FJ40 series 4wds through established dealerships that sold many other Toyota models which were also starting to dominate the market.
At this time Jeep simply didn't have the infrastructure or dealership saturation to compete.

By the time the 70's came along, 'Made In Japan' was no longer the insult it used to be - in fact it was quite the opposite with people now associating these Japanese cars as a quality product.

I think the introduction of the 4 door Wrangler really got peoples attention in Oz - I know so many people who would never have bought a Jeep if it wasn't for the JKU, this is probably true in many markets, not just Oz and now I see Jeeps every time I leave the house
But Jeep still hasn't caught up with the 'big boys' here in Australia.

Last edited by wes; 21-04-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 21-04-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Wow seriously fantastic responses from everyone. Reading hater responses wouldn't deter me from buying one. I'm definitely the type that is going to get what make me happy. I understand the pros and cons of different cars.
I love hearing and understanding the reasons why this culture came about and it makes sense. I didn't think about what generations of wrangler weren't imported over the years. It's an evolution to get the quality we have today. I think people are quick to judge and don't pay attention when a company makes changes in quality.
I use my Rover as an example. They used to be horrible in quality compared to modern versions. I bought an 06 (1st of the Bmw v after the body style has been around for a handful of years. I put away $5k in cash for unscheduled repairs and told myself that once it's spent I will sell it. I drove it for 4 years and barely spent a dime. It was solid and reliable. I sold it for the same that I paid for it years before. This was a car the original owner paid $80k in depreciation over 4 years then I get to drive it for free!
Again thanks for the responses.
Now keep an eye out for my next thread asking about top 5 or 10 mods you would buy and bring home if you had a container of household goods to ship!
Old 22-04-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

One thing you need to know about car sales here vs the US....we have "recommended retail price" set by the manufacturer/distributor....people negotiate down from this figure.
We don't get the US dealer habit of adding large premiums to the RRP on popular models.
I picked up my 2013 JK from a Prestige Car dealer who had it sitting in a his yard a bit too long...less than 12 months old and very low mileage. I saved many thousands of dollars off the price of a new vehicle and the car had never been off road or even had the soft top removed from it's delivery storage in the back....so you can get some great deals here.
Old 22-04-2016
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

With respect to doors, as above, it is a bit of a grey area. My understanding is that while the vehicle complies with all the requirements without doors, you would need that in writing from FCA to get it past the local police. And good luck getting anything in writing from them!

My solution is a set of tube doors. 2 horizontal bars with some, optional, nylon webbing. All I get are compliments. Even FROM the police!
Old 22-04-2016
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Drive what you want. If Jeep's your thing and Wranglers make you tick, go for it.

Only difference to US is we are pretty regulated here, similar to Europe. You cannot have your 20" lifted Jeeps with 54" tires on the streets. In stadiums and events maybe..Monster Trucks!

Overhere, Wranglers are built for both on and off road, so the biggest you will see are 37s on Dana 60s. Some are engineered and legal, some aren't. Cops and DOT can pull you over and issue a defect notice. It's a huge pain getting a defect notice when you're interstate. Worst thing that can happen when you're not legal is 100% liability....lose the shirt off your back.

Most Wranglers are around 33s and still capable of doing it all : City, Mud, Rock, Touring but not the extreme stuff. Personally, I think 35s are great but not so much on the fuel economy, leave that to the Prius that does jack.

Decide on what you want JK, TJ, CJ, etc. Buy RHD parts there and fit them on the locally sourced Jeep.
Post New Thread  Reply