Return of the Red 99 Sport! - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-06-2020
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Well.... Does anyone have next weeks winning lotto numbers they would like to give me!
I finally got around to having a good look under the bonnet today ... thinking I was going to do the Flush!
18 Months Ago!.......................... When the CarKiller gave me the red 99 I cleaned it up and never really had a serious look at it before the Father in Law couldn't wait to buy it off me ..... a long story so I will be brief I got it for Free cleaned it removed the damaged side mouldings and side steps gave it a polish I was going to invest $500 in 2 new tyres and sell for $3000 ono take $2000 at the lowest and walk away with $1500..... I ended up selling to the Father in Law for $1500 He was Desperate for it? OK Cool I don't care I used the $1500 to do the Head on the 96 I Win!
It sat in his backyard for 12 months with a solar battery charger on it sometimes being moved to mow..
He and his brilliant friend decided to do the rear brakes and put it up on jack stands pulled everything apart and did No More ...... More Yard Art! .... I ended up fixing the brakes and getting it back on it's wheels
Then the PT shit it's self and I thought it would be Cheaper and Easier to put the Red 99 back on the road.
maybe I should of taken the $600 + gamble to see if the valves weren't bent on the PT?
By Now You Can Guess There is Something Wrong!
I wondered why there was a vibration ..? the tranny mount looked Suss!..... and you should see the Engine Mounts First time I have had a good look around the engine bay
And they are Stuffed and no wonder the tranny mount looked Sad!
To Top it Off the Radiator is a aluminium rad with plastic tanks so where the tranny pipes go into the rad yes it LEAKS! and you cant Fix That!
Engine Moves Rips Pipes Out!
$.$.$.$ Here We Go!.... I cant see the 99 on the road mid next month as I hoped
Forget That Dream
It's going to take a bit longer I will get a new rad same ebay aluminium / plastic tank for about $150 do the flush with the old rad when done fit the new and reroute the trans lines into the cooler in the mean time $ permitting get the engine mounts and gearbox mount may as well change all
just going to take a bit longer folks ..
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_) ..................... Bummer
Old 23-06-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Thats pretty standard for those mounts to all be knackered. Thats why i said to Sobek to check his all out, as guaranteed, the engine side mount is at least rotted out. You might need to step back, suss the Jeep out completely and put a RockAuto order together for all the knickers knackers that you might need. A hose, a mount, a sensor, a dizzy cap, a gasket etc

Cheers,
Old 24-06-2020
AJOR Bronze

Yeah the engine mounts would be 20 years old and the CarKiller Flogging it wouldn't of helped ..
A rockauto order would be nice but I am watching the $ as my rockauto order would be PT parts ...
I found a nice radiator on eBay last night twin Core Full Aluminium No Plastic Tanks! for $158 free postage Bargain!
Sold! Bought That!.... waiting Next Week
I squeezed the radiator hoses today Crunchy! ...
CaChing!$ another $90 for Hoses ... I need all that to Flush and finish with a good cooling system I have tranny hose left over and just need a brass barb and some clamps to bypass the new rad
That's as far as I can push the pensioner finances at the moment ...
But that will get me too Flush/New Cooling Brakes Diff Degrease and Polish ... You see I tied up $300 Pocket Money as I Want the Nudge Bar off monsterMk2 it's only $50 but will cost me at least $250 in postage But where could I get a bar delivered to my door for that price .. and I Want it!
I should know about it this week sometime
As for the engine mounts / tranny mount the lot is about $150 mad if you don't change them all I did that on the 96 a few years ago
I will get all the mounts funds permitting and get O'l Mate the Mechanic to fit them and do the RWC at the same time
Easy Job on the Hoist
Late August on My New master Plan!
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 24-06-2020
AJOR Gold

Standby on that post. Sounds crazy expensive just for a nudge bar. I had a fridge sent from the Eastern states to WA for a $100. I have a mate that gets quad bike frames sent all over Oz. I will message him, as he uses an Australia wide courier that is dirt cheap. Will get back to you ASAP Mark.

Cheers,
Old 25-06-2020
AJOR Gold

OK, he got back to me and swears by this mob. Uses them all the time and reckons they are very cheap. He sends motorcycle engines, frames, etc..

https://au.interparcel.com/

Cheers,
Old 25-06-2020
AJOR Bronze

ok cheers alex I will pass it on to Andrew/monstermk2 he might get a better deal on freight which means a better deal for me
After posting last night I went ahead and bought the radiator hoses ... and that's about as far as I can push the finances at the moment .... I was informed today the nudge bar will come off this weekend so I should know about the freight early next week .... if it's cheap enough I will be able to get the engine mounts earlier fingers crossed
on rockauto the timing belt kit for the PT is about $235 usd convert that to aud looking around $400ish + postage ...
WTF! on eBay I found today a Dayco Timing Belt Kit for a 01 PT for . CRY! . $199.23 Free Postage (the kit has seals and idler pullies ) ... that's on my watch list so at least it will be cheaper to get to the compression test stage..
always the way but I am committed to the 99 now and have wanted to get it back on the road for ages But at least things are looking up for the PT
Anyway the 99 will be a nice XJ when done
new tyres .. new engine /gearbox mounts .. new rad/hoses + flush .. brakes shocks and steering dampener are done so are all the sensors .. new headliner/led lights and new aircon compressor are done .. exhaust is good I just need to fix a leaky diff ............ so it has a bit going for it
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 26-06-2020
AJOR Gold

No worries Mark,

I went on the post calculator on Interparcel, and put in your Blackall postcode, and my WA postcode. Then added in the size and weight of an average nudge bar (30kg and 760mm). $150 delivered! And that was door to door from the other side of Australia!

Cheers,