Lucky high for Jeep - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2014
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Lucky high for Jeep

Jeep 8 speedThere’s an awful lot of things we don’t know about the 2018 Jeep Wrangler.

Suspicions are strong that we’ll be getting aluminium bodies, lighter, smaller dimensions, still convertible but with more actual convertibility, smaller bodies, diesel engine in the US, body-on-frame retained, four wheel drive (!), possibly still made in Toledo and above all, better fuel economy.

What we’re short of is hard facts. For a vehicle that no competitors are going to be able to copy in any meaningful way Jeep has been surprisingly tight lipped, with not even a leaked render slipping out headquarters.

Now, one little detail might have slipped out. In a recent document filed with the US Securities and Exchange Commission, Jeep has said that it would follow its parent Chrysler in fitting the ZF 8HP70 eight speed automatic transmission to all its rear wheel drive vehicles.

Reports suggest that Jeep already considered fitting the transmission to current Wranglers, but it wouldn’t fit. That wouldn’t be a problem for a completely redesigned model.

Word by: Charles Kooij

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 01-12-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice... 2017/2018 is a long way away (I bought mine new in October). What I'm worried about is not the ruggedness or the integrity of the new Wrangler but how it might become even more of a mall-crawler with the refinements. At least there will be aftermarket mods
Old 01-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

I think the new one will be a lot more refined.......and all the worse for it. I like the fact that the Wrangler is utilitarian and truck like. I still prefer the old interior not the new fancy one with soft curves and soft plastics. But, if it needs to be more refined to keep it in production then so be it. As long as the aftermarket guys keep up the good work!

I'm also not sold on the ZF 8-speed for the Wrangler either. Don't get me wrong, it's a great slush box with super smooth changes etc and make driving effortless for but I don't know that it suits the Wrangler. I drove a BMW with this box and I think it reduces the seat of your pants sensation of driving. You feel like you're piloting or navigating the car, not really driving it. With so many ratios so close together you can't hope to drive it manually very effectively as you're always changing gear. It wasn't as bad a CVT box in terms of reduced driving sensation but it was getting there. That was all well and cocooned inside a plush BMW but I think it's too refined for a Wrangler.

I think my Wrangler would be perfect with 1 extra ratio. I have the old 545RFE box and if it had 3 gears under 1:1 instead of the 2 it has I think it would drive better, but I don't think it needs any more than that.
For the record my brother is a BMW mechanic in the UK and he wasn't overly impressed with the ZF box from a reliability perspective. Said they'd had a few issues with them.
Old 01-12-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
....still convertible but with more actual convertabilty.....
Anyone care to guess on this part??

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 01-12-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Anyone care to guess on this part??
I could have expressed that a little better when I wrote it. I meant a soft top that is slightly less, err, challenging to take down and put up than the present set up.

I got the information from a moderately reliable source (not a dealer!), and while I certainly hope we don't see a power roof, I am led to understand that the soft top on the next model will be easier to use, and harder to get wrong. that will be an improvement on the overly fussy and complicated setup we have at the moment.

As for making a lighter hard top? I am not sure how they can do that, while still retaining what strength it has and without resorting to slightly more exotic materials.
Old 01-12-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-JK View Post
I'm also not sold on the ZF 8-speed for the Wrangler either. Don't get me wrong, it's a great slush box with super smooth changes etc and make driving effortless for but I don't know that it suits the Wrangler.
Fwiw, the G class has a 7-speed... while it's true that most of them barely see dirt, let alone rocks, etc. I don't think Mercedes would put that in if it compromised the off-road abilities because it only takes one reviewer to slam the expensive G class if it didn't deliver where it's meant to deliver.

Also, I don't think the 8 speed means there won't be a manual option... speaking of which, if transmission "feel" is all that important, why did you go for the 5-speed automatic?

And speaking of the G-class... the new one seems to be more capable with better approach and departure angles:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/320391/m...or-production/

Last edited by Rockmaninoff; 01-12-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff View Post
Fwiw, the G class has a 7-speed... while it's true that most of them barely see dirt, let alone rocks, etc. I don't think Mercedes would put that in if it compromised the off-road abilities because it only takes one reviewer to slam the expensive G class if it didn't deliver where it's meant to deliver.

Also, I don't think the 8 speed means there won't be a manual option... speaking of which, if transmission "feel" is all that important, why did you go for the 5-speed automatic?
This is a very good point.

I personally think the six speed manual in the JK is a very nice transmission. Feels very positive, easy to shift, and a great driving feel. I missed it when I drove an auto version. Then again, I drove a GC recently, which sadly doesn't come with a manual, and it was very nice to drive with the stack of ratios.

Quote:
And speaking of the G-class... the new one seems to be more capable with better approach and departure angles:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/320391/m...or-production/
Wow, that thing couldn't look more like a JK if it tried!

Last edited by muddy; 01-12-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply