Kk Cherokee Ltd 2010 - obd2 codes without tool - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-05-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Kk Cherokee Ltd 2010 - obd2 codes without tool

Hi guys,

I have a 2010 Cherokee Ltd (kk). It needs a new steering rack (on order) but the engine management light has just come on too. I have tried the trick of turning he ignition key on and off twice and then on again, but no p- code appears.

I’ve also seen a trick to hold the odo reset button down during startup, but that again doesn’t display any codes.

Anyone have a trick to get the codes for this model without the diagnostic tool?

Thanks

Chappy
Old 26-05-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default OBDII readers

Sorry, no on the 'manual' method. I've only done the Oil Change service warning like that, because it was easier than getting out the OBDII dongle.

I'm using a OBDLink LX Bluetooth and the OBDLink software with the Jeep.

I also have a Panlong ELM327 that I use with the free Torque software, but so far I haven't used that with the Jeep, only our Suzuki Swift.

The OBDLink LX units are not expensive and you can find them on sale around the place. But since Amazon stopped shipping to us here in Oz, it's harder. I got mine for US$50 when the dollar was near parity and Amazon shipped. (Less than half the cost of just a single trip to the dealer.) If you have a friend in the USA, I'd get one that way. Get them to buy it from amazon for you, then post it to you. But now USPS has taken off "First Class International" cheap postage option from the online system! To get the 'cheap' price you have to go into a USPS post office and specifically ask for it, or they stitch you up with a more expensive option, telling you that are all the options available! But if you ask for that First Class International service by name, they give it to you. FFS! But should be about $8-$12 USD to post one here. It's ridiculous that Scantool.Net want USD$40.55 to post one with USPS. You might as well use the USD$40 Fed-Ex Economy option! But either way, you're still over $AUD100, which is a rip-off, and you might as well buy one locally. (The 'Australian Distributor' is just 2 streets away from my mate's house in Evatt, ACT! Obviously a 'back yard' company, but he's asking AUD$150! )

I wouldn't buy a OBDLink LX from HongKong/Taiwan/China. You will get a dodgy copy/counterfeit, which is why they are so much cheaper.

The ELM327 is not here at the moment, as I keep it in the glove box of the Swift so it's always there if we breakdown. But when she gets home I'll check it for you. I do not know if the $5-$10 clone units work.... but I know the Panlong branded one is the one that most OBDII forums recommended at the time, so I got that one. I see Amazon Australia can ship you one from the USA for AUD$28 landed to your door. (So why can't Amazon US ship you one from the USA for USD$10.98? FFS!) That's not bad anyway. And it comes with Torque Pro-Lite software too.

I'll post up later what I find using the Panlong ELM327.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon OBD Dongles.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	78287  
Post New Thread  Reply