2wd to 4wd conversion possibility? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-11-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

its really easy to get parts shipped from USA using Rock Auto (we all do that, its way cheaper and just as quick as buying RHD parts in Oz)

You would be able to get your LHD parts shipped from Rock Auto
Old 26-11-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

That white MJ makes me drool.
Old 27-11-2021
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
its really easy to get parts shipped from USA using Rock Auto (we all do that, its way cheaper and just as quick as buying RHD parts in Oz)

That's awesome to know as it's a popular way of getting parts here in America as well. All I might have to do is change my shipping address

Honestly, I don't know how much it will be driven at first. Maybe start off as standard registration if I can swing it and as I get settled in and maybe find an XJ. As we get the ball rolling all over again and as the MJ gets driven less the club registration would be the way to go. There's so much in the air as far as that goes. What space will I will have to physically work on vehicles? What of my tools will get shipped as they are heavy? I know I'm going to at least ditch the boxes themselves, most of my woodworking tools, and any tools that run on 110v electricity only. I used to be a dealer technician and a mechanic in the Army so I've acquired many tools over the years. I've tried to invest in nicer tools when the money has allowed so half is Snap-On tools, the other half is a mixture of Matco, Mac, and Craftsman tools and then a lesser amount of off brand stuff. Snap-On provided tools at great discount when I was in the Army so I became partial to them quick.

Here's the best registration information I have been able to dig up out of NSW a lot of it is pretty straight forward. Some parts of it don't make much sense to me. And this is newer information compared to how when I last looked.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default...d-vehicles.pdf

I'm seeing that I will have to have a dialog with the DMV directly as there are some areas that could be a hold up depending on how you interpret it. Specifically 3.5. The part about being right hand drive as a requirement for a vehicle built on a conventional truck chassis is classified as a truck. The Comanche is on what is referred to as a Uniframe, so it's not conventional. It has the typical XJ Unibody construction in the front and the ladder on frame in the rear so the bed could still be detached and repaired like a normal truck. I need to make sure that the govt sees it the same way I do.

One dead holdup that must be addressed before it is shipped is the tail lights. Amber is not a requirement for tail lights in the USA and because it was never sold outside of the USA and Canada there is no Amber in the tail light. I'm going to see if I can find a tasteful LED replacement OR have something fabricated as it doesn't look like an XJ tail light can be retrofitted into the MJ.

OK but basic question. I understand that RVSA is replacing MVSA but both are enacted at the same time? You choose one and go with it? This makes no since to me as an American. We would never have two systems in place at once. One would supersede the other and anyone in process already would be what we call "grandfathered" into the old system until all of the ones in process are completed. How does this work? Thanks
Old 27-11-2021
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Here she is. She's all mine. I'll be headed to the tax collectors office to get the License plates when they open tomorrow. I'm aware she needs some work done, but it's an 88. I didn't expect to just pick her up and be a perfect turn key vehicle. Her brakes are a bit spongy and mainly her faults are electrical issues. And she has several electrical issues. But I'm a good electrical tech so I'm sure I can get it sorted fairly fast starting with the turn signals not working.

I have a 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x that is in the shop because her rear axle has failed ALREADY at 25,000 Miles (40,000km)! She's been there awaiting warranty repair since the beginning of October. Waiting on a rear axle due to the global supply chain shortage. My Frontier is what you guys call a D40 Navara. The D23 was never sold here in North America and the D41 Frontier has just started showing up at dealerships in the last few weeks.

I intend to make my MJ a bit more road worthy and use her for a bit as I don't have a truck right now for doing truck things until my Nissan comes back from the dealership. Once she gets home, I think the next step will be consult with a shop about painting her before I put a ton of work into her mechanically. She may need to be torn apart to paint her properly and I don't want to do tons of work to just undo it.

Old 21-01-2022

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Great job! Your car looks really good.
Old 21-01-2022
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: WK

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post

This is a great piece of advice. I have a 1984 Jeep J-10, 142k miles. The car is good and I like it, but it is pretty old and I have to repair it now and then. The last time I visited a mechanic, he told me the vehicle's cylinders are supposed to break down soon. I do understand that such a repair is expensive. And I even took additional projects at work to earn extra money (fortunately, the guys from https://letsgradeit.com/review/essaytigers/ agreed to help me). Maybe it would be better to sell the car, but it has been in my family since my childhood, so many memories, you know... So, thanks for sharing, I'll address Rock Auto, maybe the repair will be cheaper than I expect.

Last edited by Jason555; 24-01-2022 at 06:14 PM.
Old 22-01-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason555 View Post
This is a great piece of advice. I have a 1984 Jeep J-10, 142k miles. The car is good and I like it, but it is pretty old and I have to repair it now and then. The last time I visited a mechanic, he told me the vehicle's cylinders are supposed to break down soon. I do understand that such a repair is expensive. And I even took additional projects at work to earn extra money. Maybe it would be better to sell the car, but it has been in my family since my childhood, so many memories, you know... So, thanks for sharing, I'll address Rock Auto, maybe the repair will be cheaper than I expect.
I know a fellow with a '83 J10, and I advised him to order his new ignition switch and other parts from Rock Auto.

You didnt mention your engine size, but I just checked and a '84 J10 piston for the 360 V8 is $A28...shipping is almost always surprisingly cheap, and VERY fast.

Summit Racing is another good source for, but I cant vouch for them

Those J10 are getting offered for $40k in Australia atm
Post New Thread  Reply