XJ: Fraz's Budget Build with JK Diffs - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Managed to get some more work done to this over the last couple of days. Have rego coming up shortly so needed to get rid of all the oil leaks. Replaced the sump gasket and rear-main seal, although I have a horrible suspicion that the front main seal is either on its way out or already gone. Lots of crud behind the harmonic balancer, along with coolant dripping from somewhere.

Anyway, back to the rear end to finish what I previously started:

Made up a couple of bump-stop spacers for the rear end at work. Had some spare 50x75mm RHS at work that was 2.5mm thick. Originally started making them from 50x65mmx1.5, but decided they wouldn't be strong enough. These should allow me to run a 4" patrol rear shock without bottoming out the shock, which allows me time to upgrade as more parts turn up. This should also hopefully stop the 31's from scrubbing, although I may be getting 32's or 33's soon, just have to wait and see.

Also ordered RE extended shackles from Wooders, and bought the 6" coils and shackle relocation brackets off Tuffeb on here. Looking forward to it all turning up so I can test it on the trails.

Anyway, photo time!

Bump-stop spacer - 75mm spacing-

Bump-stops bolted to the bracket using M14x1.5 flange nuts and high tensile bolts-

Bolted together-

Comparison of old clearance to new clearance-

While I was at it, I also made up a Brake-line relocation bracket. This can be straightened out to further space the brake line down if need be, but should be fine for the time being.

See my Budget XJ Build HERE!
Old 23-02-2014
Established Member

Finally got around to fitting up the snorkel. Pretty simple install as long as you line the template up correctly Came up looking pretty good though, and passed the air-tight test (hand over intake pipe) so I know it's waterproof.

Hasn't made any change to economy that I can see, although engine temps are slightly lower at cruise (60km/h+) and power seems to be a little better above 80.

As I had to remove the original washer bottle, what have people used as replacements? I'm not afraid to modify the original washer bottle if need be, however would like something with 3 washer pumps so I can set up a radiator spray.

Will also be pulling apart the cooling system (again) to replace the thermostat housing and thermostat, but not before some new fun-bits arrive at work.

Old 14-05-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: XJ: Fraz's Budget Build

Hi fraz.
How did you go with your washer bottle? I just put a snorkel on and I'm planning on putting the old bottle in the other wheel arch this weekend. Do you have any tips?
Old 14-05-2014

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz View Post
Managed to get some more work done to this over the last couple of days. Have rego coming up shortly so needed to get rid of all the oil leaks. Replaced the sump gasket and rear-main seal, although I have a horrible suspicion that the front main seal is either on its way out or already gone. Lots of crud behind the harmonic balancer, along with coolant dripping from somewhere.
check the o ring around the oil filter l adapter (engine side of adapter not filter side) it leaks out of there and runs back making it look a little like rear main
Old 03-01-2015
Established Member

Haven't been on here in a while, been way too busy and haven't been able to get any of the work done to the XJ that I've needed to. Finally started getting some bits and pieces done today while I've got some time off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
check the o ring around the oil filter l adapter (engine side of adapter not filter side) it leaks out of there and runs back making it look a little like rear main
Thanks for the heads up. I've ordered a gasket set from RockAuto for this, so will be replacing these seals along with the rear main (again), front main and timing case (seal and case).

Today I managed to remove the whole front end. Replaced the water pump, thermostat and housing, and cleaned out the block.

All apart-

New Water pump and thermostat/housing fitted

As you can see, the timing case has copped a beating from the harmonic balancer, so will be replacing that while the front is all apart before the balancer goes back on. This will HOPEFULLY be the end of my cooling system and general oil leak problems...

Also have the ball-joints, front diff gears and bigger coils to put in. Tossing up whether to use a set of 4" coils I pulled off a wrangler at work, or the 6" coils I've had for a while... Will be running extended shackles with the Lovells leaf springs for the moment, as I still need to have a play with the custom leafs I made up...

Old 14-03-2017
Established Member

So it's been a while since I've been on here. For a while I had a 76 Series Landcruiser as my main car, but the black jeep has always been around. A few things forced me to let the registration lapse on the black jeep, however it's always been there waiting to get back on the road. Late last year a friend was selling their XJ Cherokee, and it was too good of a deal to pass up. Same age as mine (96 model), but was a limited with all the features. Leather trim, electric seats, cruise control, the works. Anyway, I bought it, put some rego on it and set about transferring all the parts from the old black Sport into the blue Limited.

First up was Drivetrain, which took around 6 months of on-again off-again work to swap. The Sport had a completely new cooling and belt system, and the motor was a lot stronger with less kms. While the motors were out, I got hold of a late-model TJ intake manifold and a new set of exhaust headers, so fitted them up. Motor in, drove the car around for a few weeks, then started to get stuck into it.

Fitted the lift kit from the old Sport, albeit with a couple of changes. Kept the short-arm and drop-box combo because it rode perfectly at 3", but swapped the coils for some 4" coils instead. Also fitted a 1.5" bump-stop spacer to the diff as well as the 1" extended poly bump-stops so that it's all working properly when the new shocks turn up. Rear suspension was the same Lovell's Leafs, but with a set of extended shackles thrown in too. The car sits at a perfect 4" front and 4.5" rear, exactly how I wanted it set up. Also ditched the rear sway-bar while fitting the lift, as it wasn't needed with the heavier leaf springs. Also installed the Hyline Off-road hood louvre kit I bought probably 12 months ago, just to help a little when off-road and towing.

After all that, took the old girl out on Thursday night for some fun. Following a mate with his 4" patrol on 35's, the XJ didn't miss a beat. The only thing that held me up was the highway tyres compared to his muddies. So a set of 31's are in order I think.

Anyway, that's all for now. Will be updating a bit more as it goes, and hopefully see you guys out on the tracks again.

Old 27-03-2017
Established Member

Got the 31's mounted up properly, and balanced (albeit pretty poorly as the tyres are rubbish). Looks a lot better with the 31s on it.

On saturday I pulled the Lokka out of the old car and fitted it to the new one. I think I might have stuffed up the adjustment because it's a lot louder in this car than I remember it being. Could also be my memory though. Took it out for a run with some mates and it is unstoppable. Just a really easy car to drive offroad, basically point and shoot. Now to stop it overheating again...

Now to decide whether I fit the alloy bullbar off the old jeep or leave it with the stock front end. The stock front has grown on me, but I'll need to trim it a little to help it clear some of the bigger rocks.

Post New Thread  Reply