08 jk CRD intermittent hard start - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-12-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)
Default 08 jk CRD intermittent hard start

Im running out of options here

Ive changed the fuel filter
had the battery checked at repco said was fine
cleaned battery terminals
cleaned start motor connector
checked fuses

Is there anything else i can check at home before i take it somewhere?
Old 29-12-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

is it cranking at full speed? Does it when hot or cold?? Do a search on here this has come up several times. IIRC it was a low fuel pressure issue caused by common rail supply pump but do the search and go from there
Old 29-12-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

just some added info..
A common fault I get in my workshop with the JK CRD are faulty fuel pressure regulator, faulty fuel pressure sensor. But the symptoms are cutting out while driving along (faulty regulator), engine light coming on with the "ping" (faulty sensor), I generally change both out as a pair. But these faults are a common rail diesel thing and are related to long change intervals of the fuel filter, hence why I do fuel filter changes every 10,000kms.

If your symptoms are:
*long cranking when cold.
*Starting seems to improve as it warms up.
*Everything else has been checked, fuel,

It's likely to be a poor or loose earth, follow the earth battery lead and remove, clean, tighten, see what it does.

Regards
Daz
Old 29-12-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
is it cranking at full speed? Does it when hot or cold?? Do a search on here this has come up several times. IIRC it was a low fuel pressure issue caused by common rail supply pump but do the search and go from there

Yes cranks at full speed and both hot or cold
Old 29-12-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenR View Post
just some added info..
A common fault I get in my workshop with the JK CRD are faulty fuel pressure regulator, faulty fuel pressure sensor. But the symptoms are cutting out while driving along (faulty regulator), engine light coming on with the "ping" (faulty sensor), I generally change both out as a pair. But these faults are a common rail diesel thing and are related to long change intervals of the fuel filter, hence why I do fuel filter changes every 10,000kms.

If your symptoms are:
*long cranking when cold.
*Starting seems to improve as it warms up.
*Everything else has been checked, fuel,

It's likely to be a poor or loose earth, follow the earth battery lead and remove, clean, tighten, see what it does.

Regards
Daz
Thanks i will have to check them out

This seems like it could be the problem as before after an fuel filter change (2000k)i was getting p0087 (Fuel Rail System Pressure Too Low) and after i changed the fuel filter again the code did not come back.
Old 29-12-2015
MudSplasher

Liked 133 Times in 104 Posts

08 jk crd, Id put money on the injectors starting to go out of spec, I have already changed 12 jk crd injectors this month. . how many km's on it?
If you have got the low pressure rail warning then its as darren said, the pressure sensors in the rail, I have come across 3 other cars in the past 3 months that have had/having these problems.

But also keep an ear out if the intake pump is priming while it has a failed/delayed start? there has been 2 cases I worked on were the TIMP randomly wouldn't trigger the pick up pump and prime the fuel system, leaving to delayed or long cranking before starting

*fuel filter is on the low pressure side, so even a semi blocked fuel filter won't give of a low pressure warning once, unless its completely blocked and preventing flow, which the car will not run as the high pressure pump would not have enough fuel to maintain pressure (under 2000psi and injectors stop firing)

There is a CRD facebook page where problems like this are posted,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/JKCRDowners/
Old 29-12-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

I looked at the fuel pressure

120-160psi with key in ignition not running
5000psi running