2013 my14 gc overland project. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-04-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 352 Times in 184 Posts
Default 2013 my14 gc overland project.

have the opportunity to buy a very cheap 2013 my14 gc overland diesel.
Maybe get it for $12k
The car has a bunch of issues, one being its got 270,000km on the clock, most of that being long country roads as it was a country car most of those miles.
Engine and transmission is surprisingly good.
Been serviced every 10k since new, 2 owners.
Taken the car for a drive, drives well BUT there are some issues
There is a bad oil leak coming from around the oil cooler where it bolts to the filter housing, dripping out heavily.
The coolant is still clean though and running temp normal.
Not sure but it may just be the seal??
Other issue is it has a crack in the windscreen.
Needs some new tyres.
Has a slight wrinkle on the dash- as most overlands do.
Its just had a rear airbag replaced and the quadra lift system was just serviced and works well.
Good project or not ?
Old 30-04-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Wouldn't let the kays worry you, 270,00km of country running, its probably got healthier internals than one thats done 50,000km of cold stop/start km in the suburbs..
https://www.autoglasswarehouse.com.a...dr-wago~258866
As for tyres check Gumtree or Market place on facebook, always people selling tyres off new vehicles after they replace them with aftermarket set up, usually get the lot for the price of 2
Old 30-04-2023
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLMATE View Post
Wouldn't let the kays worry you, 270,00km of country running, its probably got healthier internals than one thats done 50,000km of cold stop/start km in the suburbs..
https://www.autoglasswarehouse.com.a...dr-wago~258866
As for tyres check Gumtree or Market place on facebook, always people selling tyres off new vehicles after they replace them with aftermarket set up, usually get the lot for the price of 2
Yeah, the engine and transmission felt and sounded pretty good.
As for the oil leak at the cooler, i read that the gasket can go.
Theres no oil in the coolant so maybe the cooler is ok and its just the gasket.
The only other issue i can see is the power steering fluid was low but that will be the rack seals, they all seem to leak.
By the time i do tyres, windscreen and oil leak i reckon id just about break even market price wise???
Old 01-05-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,945 Times in 2,329 Posts

Sounds good, most expensive is the windscreen really, gasket set for the oil cooler should be easy enough to replace, change all the fluids so your starting from square one no matter what the service history shows.

http://www.midnightmods.com.au/zen-c...roducts_id=273

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 01-05-2023
Rock Munki

Liked 1,323 Times in 761 Posts

Dont know how close you are to a decent Jeep Wrecker...but...for costs only, if its not gonna be your No.1 ride...I' d go wreker for windscreen n tyres, even a dashmat....source a gasket kit from the cheapest outlet, Rockauto seems popular....top up the steering fluid and monitor how much is leaking (mines lost around maybe150 - 200ml over 2yrs(40k)....not rushing out to find the source of that leak, I just keep an eye on it)....you say its a project car so keep the costs low and see how it goes...nothing to lose in reality....can sell it for what you paid, or a few G less, if it goes pearshaped...the big ticket items are running well...bonus

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 01-05-2023
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Dont know how close you are to a decent Jeep Wrecker...but...for costs only, if its not gonna be your No.1 ride...I' d go wreker for windscreen n tyres, even a dashmat....source a gasket kit from the cheapest outlet, Rockauto seems popular....top up the steering fluid and monitor how much is leaking (mines lost around maybe150 - 200ml over 2yrs(40k)....not rushing out to find the source of that leak, I just keep an eye on it)....you say its a project car so keep the costs low and see how it goes...nothing to lose in reality....can sell it for what you paid, or a few G less, if it goes pearshaped...the big ticket items are running well...bonus
Have a good jeep wrecker not to far from us.
I guess my only big concern is the 280,000km
on the clock but as said it runs pretty well suprisingly.
re the windscreen in the 2013 overlands, not sure if there is any sort of calibration of anything required ? The only sensor i recollect is on the back of the rear vision mirror??
Do wreckers have used windscreens for sale ?
The other thing is, can the oil cooler gasket just leak externally withoout leaking oil into the coolant ?

Last edited by genpk; 01-05-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-05-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 299 Times in 187 Posts

I had the driver side glass replaced a while ago because of a crack and a window guy told me only go genuine for side glass and windscreen. This was about 5 yrs ago though.

My lesson was I went with non-genuine side glass from someone else to save a few bucks and I ended up with the whistle the guy told me I may get. He had said non-genuine windscreens he had trouble with in the past with the sensors not working properly.

What is the power steering fluid we should with these electric pumps? Penrite LDAS? Notice my 2015 reservoir was almost empty on weekend.