JK: Tombo's White Jk Build - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Just love the enthusiasm! Jeez, we took 3 months before we started modding and were considered, well, just a little odd.

On your list:

1. Our AEV rear bar with carrier and caddy has been a PITA. Mostly because it wasnt installed properly. You want someone who has done AEV a lot to get it right. Or do it yourself.

2. That AEV rear + wheel carrier + caddy is a lot of weight. We have had to change the rear suspension to add a 1/2 inch spacer and moved to heavy duty springs. This on a shorty. And now we are looking to another inch in the coils. The shorty will be more sensative, but what this does (in extreme nose up) stuffs up caster (front wheel steering angle). And it is really noticeable when you lift.

3. Doesnt change that we love the 40l extra fuel ( not exaggerated) and the water storage.

4. Micky Thomsons. Honest the MTZ are so good on the road, I personally wouldnt bother with ATZ. Unless you are doing lots of sand. Or desert crossings.

5. Sway bar disconnects. Just do it. Now.

6. E lockers, with your list shoulda started with a Rubicon! Oh OK, not really, but there are some thoughts when playing with the diffs. (Oh, definite yes to the rear locker, front used much less but important if you are getting into deep shite).

7. Diff ratios. OK a Sport has something like 3.6. Rubicon (quite good) 4.10. With 315 R70 (ie 34 inch tyres) it still felt quick in low range crawl. We just updated, jumped past 4.56 to 4.88 ratios. For crawling FANTASTIC! Fuel economy, erm, err. Well. Hmm. Not good for cruising. Its a compromise. Think it through if you are also building a cruiser for over landing.

We might drop back and re-build for desert crossings to the Sport 3.6 ratios.

8. Lift. ATV - so you are in Sydney, right? The're good guys who know their product. AEV. Which is a fantastic US after market jeep shop. One of about three hundred. oK maybe 6 big names. More importantly, when I asked ATV about certification/engineering I got a load of bollocks and ultimately a quote designed to say "dont do it". Ask them who certified their jeeps, how easy it was, and if the relationship will handle a new customer. Basic stuff.

With 3.5 inch lift, on a Sport, certification might be adviseable. The lift is pretty obvious. We avoided it for ages, (rubicon though) but a conversation with Sam from Hills, and his JK, with all bells and whistles, he got cetification. Wow. Worth doing. I was looking for someone who had been through it. Answered.

Both Shents and Hills were able to think about the lift without locking into AEV. AEV will give you drop brackets under each corner of the front suspension. This gives great braking and steering, but comes with a compromise in clearance under those brackets. In a 2.5 inch AEV lift quite understandable. But if you're hitting 3.5 inch lift I dont get it.

Check out Terraflex and Synergy. Hell thats just the start. But you want IMO a build that "get's" how AEV is good, and then looks to do better.

9. If you havent already, join Sydney Jeep Club. Say hi to Dru'n'Kerry. I'm the Dru bit.

Last edited by dru; 07-12-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-12-2015

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

G'day dru,

Thanks for the info!! Haha I'm definitely not wasting any time with this build. I've been saving and researching for the last 2 years so when i bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on the car i did the same with everything else as well.

All the bar work I am fitting myself and have the rear bar and carrier on the agenda for next weekend. Plan is to just take my time and be careful, hopefully it will go on ok. what problems specifically have you had with yours??

The weight of everything on the back end has been concerning me and like with yours i think it is going to be a bit of trial and error getting the suspension set up just right. The lift is the one thing that i'm still pulling my hair out over. The choice thats out there for the jk is a blessing and a curse sometimes. I thought i had narrowed it down to either the AEV r/s 3.5" kit or as i listed above a flexi coil set up from ATV. The reason i am leaning towards the flexi coil set up from ATV is that i want a kit i can build on and upgrade components down the track as the need arises. This kit will include a combo of teraflex and synergy brackets etc. The AEV kit has great reviews but if the need to upgrade various components down the track arises really the only things that will be transferable are springs and shocks. The engineering is important to me as well . Too much money is going into this thing to cop a denied insurance claim if the worst happens so I am looking into it. Havn't got a quote from the engineer ATV use yet though.

When i was searching for my jk I was after a rubi but they are rare on the second hand market at a reasonable price. In the end the sport seemed a logical decision and I was pretty stoked with the price i paid for it. More money to go towards other bits and pieces and it meant i can set up the axles exactly as I want it. My plan at this stage is to get all the bar work etc and the lift done and wheel it on the stock 3.73 ratios with the 35's for a few months before i decide on either 4.56 or 4.88 and get the axles and lockers done. E-lockers are just my preference, mates that have had ARB air lockers have had nothing but problems and i prefer the simplicity of the e locker.

The ATZ P3 are the same as what i had on my challenger and I loved them. I had a few different sets of muddies on that over the years I owned it and i found the ATZ's to be the best all round compromise. I pick them up friday

And I'm planning on signing up with the Sydney jeep club in the new year. I've got a hectic few weeks for the remainder of the year so as soon as things settle i'll be along to meet you guys.

Really appreciate the advice and info! Thanks for taking the time!

Cheers,

Tom
Old 14-12-2015

Put the aev snorkel on this morning and mated it up to the airaid intake. Required a bit of trimming of the snorkel but was easy enough. Just gotta put the little bit of trim around the bonnet cut but my rivet gun broke. And picked up the new wheels and tyres last friday. They dont fit yet lol. Best get the lift sorted soon!!

Old 16-12-2015

Front bar and rear bars done in the last 48hrs!!

Old 16-01-2016

Trektop pro arrived yesterday needless to say im quite excited!!

Old 25-01-2016

Trektop pro fitted after a bit of a false start after recieving the wrong door surround. Stoked with the help from DBOR getting it sorted so fast!!

Ordered my lift aswell. Should be here in a day or two!!

Old 14-02-2016

This is a bit more like it!!