TJ: Faithy's TJ with Patrol diffs and dual transfers... - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 169 Times in 134 Posts

Dang! Well you know what your doing👍

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 07-10-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts

My old jeep 😍😍😍
Old 09-10-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 61 Times in 45 Posts

Got a bit of work done on it today.

Installed the front locker and set up the gears. It's so much quicker on a removable 3rd with carrier adjuster nuts compared to a Dana that also requires shims for carrier placement and bearing preload.. 12 in/lbs preload on the pinion bearings, pattern that's long and nicely in the middle of the gear face, 15 in/lbs carrier bearing preload and 0.2mm (8 thou) backlash. Strong, quiet and reliable setup.

Opened up the Dana 300. Bearings and gears look great so I'll throw some new seals in and be done with it. I removed the shift rails to remove the interlock pils for independent control of the front and rear output shafts. You have to remove the idler gear to get to the set screws that keep the shift forks on the shift rails. Not that bad of a job really. Also removed the shifter bracket from the front output bearing retainer for more clearance.

Got the 3rd member in the housing and threw the Longfields in.

Pics showing:
-chromo CV's
-D300 with cover and idler gear removed
-cable twin stick shifter and billet D300 cover - cover should stop leaks and add to the case rigidity and therefore the gears strength
-Dana 30 axle next the Patrol chromo. The cross-sectional area is 32% more in the Patrol. Throw 4340 chromoly into the mix and the axle is theoretically over twice as strong.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475983326906.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	74785   Click image for larger version

Name:	1475983338096.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	74786   Click image for larger version

Name:	1475983361936.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	74787   Click image for larger version

Name:	1475983371949.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	74788  
Old 09-10-2016
Full Flexer

What tires are you going to be running on this beast?

Old 09-10-2016
Senior Newbie

Hey mate, saw you got your gearbox back in. Good effort! Bit of bad luck burning up the friction plates due to fluid levels.

I'm planning to run 265/75/R16's (32x10.5) on the street - most probably the Goodyear DuraTrac's cos i like the MT/AT hybrid. Then 37's off road. Haven't decided what tyre to run off road yet. The drive train should hold up to stickies but the price/life is hard to justify if you're not driving comps.

Any thoughts on tyres mate?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 12-10-2016
Senior Newbie

No update on this build since last weekend but just picked up my new (to me) 55t press ($300 on ebay) and 600mm x 10mm pressbrake attachment. Gonna redo the skid, make a fuel tank skid and maybe build new front and rear bars down the track. Looking forward to being able to bend plate for brackets instead of welding everything!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1476241130882.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	74792   Click image for larger version

Name:	1476241140193.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	74793  
Old 12-10-2016
Full Flexer

Sweet. I've had just about all the main types and i reckon the treps were the best but the ware quickly. Swampers work good. Maxxis crawlers i dont rate much they just wear down. Cambo runs 37 bfg krawlers and he goes absolutely every where. I have them in 35x13.5 but i diff out. Boggers arnt that good so stay away from them. You'll be able to pick up so ex comp tyres and rims easy.
Press looks good

Post New Thread  Reply