Willys Truck Ratrod - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-11-2017
LokRinger

Liked 1,744 Times in 551 Posts

Like on the other door, I also fixed the inner frame alignment more than had been done.

I had to cut through their tack and sharpened up the inside fold. The glass channel sits in this corner.

Needs a little more sharpening of the fold further down, but a lot better than it was before. Also had to do the same pulling out of the upper frame edge and pushing in the lower half to get a straight line on the edge.

This seam had broken away so needs to be fixed. Noticed the bottom doesn't line up any more either.

The guard needed to be knocked down to get it aligned at the bottom.

The whole seam this time was fully welded rather than just a few spot welds the factory had.

Dressed up.

The flapping about had caused yet another fatigue crack behind one already welded up. Was better to cut it away and make a new patch instead of just welding the crack.

Putting some compound curve in the patch by hammering over a steam pipe bend.

The flange width will be added below this line.

Starting to hammer over the flange.

All welded in. I also had to fix up a small crack on both sides where the inner guard meets the triangular piece under the bonnet. Always pays to go searching to see if the movement over time has caused any other damage.

Other seam also welded and old drill holes on both guards done also.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 23-11-2017
LokRinger

Originally the other place was going to weld these lengths of angle around the hole to stiffen it up. Would take some time in the shrinker stretcher to get them all to match perfectly. Then would have around 4 metres-13' of welding to fit them. Then grind, planish, sand, planish and run the strip disc over it and check for any distortion once again! Many many hours of work.

Thought I would check to see if the hole was an even distance all the way around like Christos had asked for. Not even close with even one side having over 15mm-9/16" difference from one end to the other!

So took the shortest length and made that the same all the way around marking every couple of inches. Radius corner template a lid from my zip ties.

Cut the long lengths with a 1mm cut off disc and did the corners with my jigsaw.

Pieces that needed to be cutout to make the distance even all the way around.

I got some 13mm-1/2" bar stock and cut down to the depth I wanted to tip the flange. Just used a 1mm cutoff disc and taped where I wanted to stop, 14mm-9/16".

Makes a good way to scribe a bending line to follow later too.

Slide the bar all the way in and bend down bit by bit. Actually found you could hold the same angle down and just knock the bar along and it would bend it down as you went along. Tape gives a good visual to make sure you are all the way in.

Corners are done the same way.

Once a couple of times around I switched to using my flanging pliers to speed things up along the straighter lengths. Bar was still used in the corners and kept at the same level of bend.

Probably took 6-7 times bending a little more getting the 90* bend.

As you see it now only the bar and the flanging pliers have been used.

Was pretty close already but some fine tuning to even any highs or lows. With this dolly behind the flange, I hammered on dolly, stretching the metal, near the bend if I wanted to raise it. Hammered on dolly only at the bottom of the flange if I wanted to lower it some.

One nice and stiff roof panel ready for an insert later on that will be removeable.

The insert can bolt through the newly made flanges with T type rubber seal in between.

My web site:
Old 24-11-2017
LokRinger

Wow, great interest there and glad it might be useful.

Just the folding part took around 1 hour. A lot faster than if it was welded as even the pros quote 1 hour per foot for prep, weld, planish and finish off.

Doing the last few things I was asked to be done. Cutting down the window surrounds. Taking 5.5" out of the height and have to add to the length across the top.

Fortunately the profile is pretty much the same all the way around so can use what came off the sides to fill the gap left at the top.

Window surround, or garnish, done on the passenger door.

Easier to keep things straight and level by clamping down on the bench and checking along the edge of it for straightness. Use a steel ruler as well.

Here now you can see why leaving that difference in door width at the join would not have worked. It would have shown up terribly!

Windscreen pieces needed doing as well. One side done and the other still to go.

Last of the fabrication work done.

Doesn't look much different than when it arrived here less than 2 weeks ago! But is a hell of a lot more structurally sound and complete.

My web site:
Old 24-11-2017
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Might not look much different but all of us know how different it is! Nice work as usual and an interesting distraction from yours.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 24-11-2017
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Exceptional work as usual.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 24-11-2017
LokRinger

Many thanks Dave and Jimmy.

The owner thought the front needed lowering more to fill the front guards. I suggested less rubber rake so mocked up one of the rear wheels on the front. Raised the front 3" the same as it would be fitted with the the 6" taller tyre and think it looks good. Maybe even slightly smaller tyre would work.

Pushing it out past my cab and now mine looks huge by comparison!

Well mine is 9" wider and 7" longer than his.

Out in the sun waiting for the pickup.

Looking mean!

It was picked up a few hours ago by a very pleased owner so my cab is back in its place ready to be worked on again.

My web site:
Old 30-11-2017
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Finished result is fantastic! Good work.
Post New Thread  Reply